Would you trade Loyd for Atkins? | The Boneyard

Would you trade Loyd for Atkins?

Reaction Score
If you were Mystics? How bout if you were Storm?
I would if I were Storm.
Atkins would see her hustle payoff with easy buckets playing with Sue Bird.
Who was the All Star? Loyd.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I like Loyd. I love Atkins. I'd trade Loyd for Atkins in a New York minute.........and feel good about myself the rest of the day. You saw how well she played the entire season, especially during the playoffs. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I’d probably take Atkins as well. She just gives you hustle in every category every game. Gives you just what you need to win games. She has Tamika Catchings written all over her.

Loyd has had good moments where she looks unstoppable but the next game she can’t buy a basket. She might be a very good player down the line but right now Atkins seems the better of the two.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Lloyd is interesting to me. She has great games and not so great games. I do find it obvious that in these playoffs Whitcomb is the one that plays the 4th quarters.

To answer the question. Thibeault isn’t giving away Atkins. I could see Jewel going to Chicago for Gabby!?!? Gets her home and Gabby on the west coast. Wishful thinking but possible.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They play different positions. Ariel's trajectory in impressive. She could be a megastar. Jewell ranges from great to average. Kobe told her to play without thinking. That works for Kobe, but I think it's not generally good advice.

Reaction Score
Ariel Atkins at TX looked like a GOOD player but as a pro in Washington has blossomed into a potential all-star for years to come! After seeing her play for the Mystics did coaching hold her back at TX?
Jewell Loyd didn't really set my hair on fire at ND! She was good but was inconsistent as she is now with Seattle!
The player down the road, 5 to 8 years that will be all world is Atkins!
Because of her athletic ability she plays bigger than she is. As Gabby did for UCONN!
I don't think Mike Thibault is stupid to let go of a franchise type player!

Reaction Score
Notice that Jewel sat most of the 4th quarter...
Who is really needed in Seattle is MoJeff , for when Sue
gets around to consider retiring
I would love to see Itty Bitty back with Stewie, but I think Canada has been doing a pretty good job filling in for Bird.
Guess I was a little slow on this post.... MilfordHusky got there first.

Carnac

Reaction Score

With the emergence of Courtney Plum, trader Bill might make that a possibility. The question is, if you're Laimbeer, who would you take for Mo that the Storm would be willing to trade?

Reaction Score
Lloyd is interesting to me. She has great games and not so great games. I do find it obvious that in these playoffs Whitcomb is the one that plays the 4th quarters.

To answer the question. Thibeault isn’t giving away Atkins. I could see Jewel going to Chicago for Gabby!?!? Gets her home and Gabby on the west coast. Wishful thinking but possible.
That might be a good trade for both teams. Gabby for Loyd.

Reaction Score
With the emergence of Courtney Plum, trader Bill might make that a possibility. The question is, if you're Laimbeer, who would you take for Mo that the Storm would be willing to trade?
Canada?

Reaction Score
Can’t compare apples to oranges. Loyd had a great rookie season a few years ago too. Table this talk until next season

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No way Seattle should trade Loyd for anybody. Jewell is supremely gifted as a basketball player who does a lot of great things on the court. Her biggest struggles right now are executing and decision-making in pressure moments in big games. We saw a little of that when she was a Notre Dame. She'll figure it out.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If picking between the two, I'd go with Atkins but I wouldn't make the trade at all if I'm either team. Seattle just won the title with Loyd and when she's playing well, they simply never lost. When she was off they usually had the pieces to make up for her struggles. She's still young, has good upside and will improve over the next few years. She appears to have good chemistry with her teammates too.

Washington has a young star in Atkins who plays with very high energy and intensity...no way should they consider trading her.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Loyd is a much better player than Gabby....no way Seattle makes that trade. Diamond for Loyd would be a fairer deal but no way would I make that trade if I'm either team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Now there's an interesting idea. Send Loyd to Vegas for Jefferson. Could be a win-win for both teams... Then again maybe Seattle feels they are set with Canada...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
They play different positions. Ariel's trajectory in impressive. She could be a megastar. Jewell ranges from great to average. Kobe told her to play without thinking. That works for Kobe, but I think it's not generally good advice.
I think what Kobe meant was, "Play without over thinking".

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Regarding Mo, I think it would be good to wait a year and see if she ever gets to 100%. I'd rather revisit after next season.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
No way Seattle should trade Loyd for anybody. Jewell is supremely gifted as a basketball player who does a lot of great things on the court. Her biggest struggles right now are executing and decision-making in pressure moments in big games. We saw a little of that when she was a Notre Dame. She'll figure it out.

Agree: "supremely gifted"
but also....Loyd is not strong on D
either unreliable or erratic in big moments
Has been a pro a year longer that Stewie
If by next season, a more consistent version doesn't show up.
Then she may become available.
If Mo recovers completely
She could very well be the point of the future

Carnac

Reaction Score
Canada?

My knee jerk reaction your suggestion was no, then I thought about it for a moment. Upon further review, and because I'm biased (I love Mo), If I'm the Storm, I would make that trade straight up. Reason being, what can Canada do that Mo can't?

I already know what MoJeff can do at this level. She's plug n' play. Plus she already has a past and great chemistry with Stewie, like peanut butter and jelly.

Last edited by a moderator:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
My knee jerk reaction your suggestion was no, then I thought about it for a moment. Upon further review, and because I'm biased (I love Mo), If I'm the Storm, I would make that trade straight up. Reason being, what can Canada do that Mo can't?

I already know what MoJeff can do at this level. She's plug n' play. Plus she already has a past and great chemistry with Stewie, like peanut butter and jelly.

If it aint broke, don't fix it. Seattle is well positioned to make a run for a title the next 2-3 seasons with a bunch of young talent and Sue Bird in the mix. While I do think Jefferson would be an upgrade over Canada, sacrificing Loyd to get Jefferson just isn't worth it. Jefferson comes with health risks and hasn't performed to the level that Loyd has. People are quick to forget that Loyd averaged 15.5 points, 4.6 boards, and 3.7 assists per game and had some huge games in the postseason, namely game 1 of the conference finals (which they needed to win), and game 1 of the finals. Getting rid of her for a backup PG when you already have a suitable backup in Canada leaves a void at the 2 spot. Loyd too has great chemistry with Stewart and can win games for Seattle when she plays well. Minnesota was dominant for years because they built their team around the core of Moore, Whalen, Brunson and Augustus (plus Fowles the last 3 years). Seattle has a similar core in tact with Stewart, Loyd and Howard...keep that trio in tact and they'll continue to improve, milk Sue Bird for a couple more years, and hope that Canada gets up to par when Sue retires. That's your best bet IMO.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Loyd has to be convinced, either by Hughes or Birdy, that the rules of basketball allow players to pass up bad shots and pass the ball to a teamate who might just have an open shot. She exhibits poor shot selection and makes more turnovers than is easily tolerated. She did this at ND too. But I also note that she is a very gifted athlete who could become very important to the Storm’s future - if she can ever get it in her head that she doesn’t have to carry the entire offense. Play good D, get 15 each night, and stop playing out of control.

As to Canada, she is very young and shows a huge upside. She does a serviceable job at PG right now. But if she, like Loyd, can integrate what’s really expected of her into her game, she is going to be very special. She can dribble the ball faster than most opponents can run without it. She reminds me a little of MoJet as a freshman.

A last observation... Alysha Clark is really talented. Quick, smart, and relentless. She played huge minutes in the playoffs for good reason, and stood up to the challenge in all respects. I just love her game for the same reasons most of us instantly liked Kia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom