Would you take a natty title this year IF you knew in 3 years the title was going to be vacated due to recruiting violations? | The Boneyard

Would you take a natty title this year IF you knew in 3 years the title was going to be vacated due to recruiting violations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Of course, Louisville fans are found several times saying "Of course", "hell yes" and overall wanting 2013 2.0. Even UNC, Kentucky, and Kansas fans mostly saying NO.

IMG_3509.jpeg

lol,
"Louisville fan here, can confirm the NCAA taking away a banner means all. If anything it makes the memories of the championship even more impactful"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Ya, even if, in some alternative dimension Uconn has 17 elite 8s and ZERO final fours rather than 11 elite 8s, 6 final fours, and 5 championships (or even 11 elite 8s and 5 losses in the final), I would not take it for 2024. I wouldn't want a tainted championship like Lville who, in just about any universe/dimension very likely cheated and/or did shady stuff to get 2013.

Reaction Score
Yes.

No one gives a s*** about recruiting violations, and we're kidding ourselves if we think this program has veen squeaky clean historically. Everyone breaks the rules.
Well, let's say violations in general then.

In that case and still, NAH, hard N-O. Uconn has, to the best of my/our knowledge, done it the right way for the first 5, so why go dirty for #6? Do you really want to be the next Lville 2013 or even risk that? Plus that would make ppl start to question some/all of the other 5.

Regardless of the NCAA, 2013 still has an *. No thanks to that, at least IMO. People spend time ***ting on Lville or Kansas or sometimes UNC, etc., rightfully so, but now we should emulate them for #6 or take a similar attitude? Heck no. Hurley got #5 doing things the way they should be done, I strongly prefer that moving forward, don't want a tainted championship like 13.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
we're kidding ourselves if we think this program has veen squeaky clean historically. Everyone breaks the rules.
UConn had the plane ticket scandal in the mid-90s with King, the laptop scandal with Price, the scooter crash, a few Ollie things, and the insanely dumb APR nonsense. To the best of my knowledge that is the worst UConn has done and nowhere near what Lville, Kansas, and UNC have done. But otherwise as far as I know they've been pretty damn clean all things considered. To have to vacate a championship you'd have to do a lot worse than the above and I wouldn't be willing to do all that. UConn has already gotten way too much flak, more than deserved, for the laptops or APR or whatever, people would jump all over something done that is bad enough to vacate a 'chip because it's UConn doing it. Not willing to deal with the hit to UConn's rep if a championship was vacated, very hard NO to this hypothetical.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No.

No need for caveats or asterisks. Win it clean.

You don't think, using a baseball analogy, that steroid use didn't taint the home runs records of some who then broke the records? Maybe nobody does care now, but IDK.

No need for a taint.

Why undermine Hurley's message of UConn's having a unique "culture."

Reaction Score
This is the easiest yes ever
I thought I made some very solid points as to why it is not a solid yes in my previous two posts, but even with all my points as to why NO is the only response, you still think it is a resounding yes? Not even willing to consider why NO is possibly a better response??

Reaction Score
UConn had the plane ticket scandal in the mid-90s with King, the laptop scandal with Price, the scooter crash, and the insanely dumb APR nonsense. To the best of my knowledge that is the worst UConn has done and nowhere near what Lville, Kansas, and UNC have done. But otherwise as far as I know they've been pretty damn clean all things considered.

I don't think you can call the laptop scandal or the scooter crash (or Bouknight's issues) an indictment on the program. That I recall, none of those guys had any real red flags before showing up on campus. Knowing a kid is a head case doesn't mean they're going to steal a car or laptops.

Our recruiting has been nowhere near by-the-book, just like everyone else's. I know a couple former players who will readily admit the s*** we did back in the 90s and early 2000s to get players on campus. Pitino and some others do take it to another level, but we were not clean during our rise to prominence. We have players on our teams that can't read getting As in every class. I don't really care if we game the APR, pay for plane tickets or anything else. Everyone does it.

Now if we're talking about gun charges, sexual assault or whatever, then yeah I'd like to avoid that obviously.

Reaction Score
I thought I made some very solid points as to why it is not a solid yes in my previous two posts, but even with all my points as to why NO is the only response, you still think it is a resounding yes? Not even willing to consider why NO is possibly a better response??
Honestly, yeah. None of your points really resonated with me. I can deal with some Kansas and UNC fans burying their heads in the sand and thinking they're better than us in return for a national championship. Winning is fun

Reaction Score
NO

Attachments

• E8B7B391-1ED5-4766-9616-4464ADAE4378.png
    E8B7B391-1ED5-4766-9616-4464ADAE4378.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 41
Reaction Score
Honestly, yeah. None of your points really resonated with me. I can deal with some Kansas and UNC fans burying their heads in the sand and thinking they're better than us in return for a national championship. Winning is fun
You've seen how people reacted to other UConn scandals (even just the lap top or APR). I'd argue, and I think quite successfully, that it was disproportionate compared to other teams DESPITE other teams often doing worse (aka other teams tend to get off lightly even doing worse compared to the flak UConn gets) and this would be a huge hit on UConn reputation at a time when we need all the good vibes and positive press possible for obvious reasons (CR). Winning is fun, but when it is shady winning, it is ammo to invalidate said winning, present or even past, no thanks and in this hypothetical, they will get caught so there will be ammo and we know how UConn is treated, the past has provided us with how they are treated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You've seen how people reacted to other UConn scandals (even just the lap top or APR). I'd argue, and I think quite successfully, that it was disproportionate compared to other teams DESPITE other teams often doing worse

I think this is just because you're in tune with UConn news way more than your average fan.

If you ask a normal college basketball fan about Louisville, they're going to talk about hookers, blow and Pitino. For UConn? I doubt they even remember.

I think for me you can call my answer a yes* with an asterisk. If the issue is APR or recruiting violations, I don't really care. If we're rising to the level of legit crimes, then I'd say no.

I'm laughing at all the people who think this program has been clean for the past 30 years. Get your head out the sand, fellas.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Wait, people are actually answering yes?

How very hypocritical.

How is this hypocritical? The Fab 5 made two final 4s, Louisville won the title in 2013 and Reggie Bush won a Heisman trophy.

Some empty suit working an email job for the NCAA is going to tell me differently? Please.

Reaction Score
I think a more interesting question is:

Would you take a national championship this year if you knew in 3 years it was going to be vacated and you knew that we would not win a championship for the next 10 years?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't think you can call the laptop scandal or the scooter crash (or Bouknight's issues) an indictment on the program. That I recall, none of those guys had any real red flags before showing up on campus. Knowing a kid is a head case doesn't mean they're going to steal a car or laptops.

Our recruiting has been nowhere near by-the-book, just like everyone else's. I know a couple former players who will readily admit the s*** we did back in the 90s and early 2000s to get players on campus. Pitino and some others do take it to another level, but we were not clean during our rise to prominence. We have players on our teams that can't read getting As in every class. I don't really care if we game the APR, pay for plane tickets or anything else. Everyone does it.

Now if we're talking about gun charges, sexual assault or whatever, then yeah I'd like to avoid that obviously.
Plenty knew about Bouk but some didn't care

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
UConn had the plane ticket scandal in the mid-90s with King, the laptop scandal with Price, the scooter crash, a few Ollie things, and the insanely dumb APR nonsense. To the best of my knowledge that is the worst UConn has done and nowhere near what Lville, Kansas, and UNC have done. But otherwise as far as I know they've been pretty damn clean all things considered. To have to vacate a championship you'd have to do a lot worse than the above and I wouldn't be willing to do all that. UConn has already gotten way too much flak, more than deserved, for the laptops or APR or whatever, people would jump all over something done that is bad enough to vacate a 'chip because it's UConn doing it. Not willing to deal with the hit to UConn's rep if a championship was vacated, very hard NO to this hypothetical.
Nate Miles recruiting situation problem gives a decent window into how things are done at most places

Reaction Score
You've seen how people reacted to other UConn scandals (even just the lap top or APR). I'd argue, and I think quite successfully, that it was disproportionate compared to other teams DESPITE other teams often doing worse (aka other teams tend to get off lightly even doing worse compared to the flak UConn gets) and this would be a huge hit on UConn reputation at a time when we need all the good vibes and positive press possible for obvious reasons (CR). Winning is fun, but when it is shady winning, it is ammo to invalidate said winning, present or even past, no thanks and in this hypothetical, they will get caught so there will be ammo and we know how UConn is treated, the past has provided us with how they are treated.
I have seen how people reacted to past UConn scandals, and it has taken zero joy out of any of the success UConn has had. I don't need the validation of being accepted by other teams fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom