Would you take a natty title this year IF you knew in 3 years the title was going to be vacated due to recruiting violations? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would you take a natty title this year IF you knew in 3 years the title was going to be vacated due to recruiting violations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
If we win in a season where it’s proven we cheated, I’m not happy. Yeah I’ll brag to other teams’ fans but I’m not really thrilled. Everyone here rips apart the “shady” programs then acts like it’s no biggie if it were our team. The definition of hypocritical. The “suit” at the NCAA isn’t what bothers me. It’s the “getting caught cheating in which that cheating clearly helped us win a title” that would bother me. Can’t believe THATS the weird take.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think this is just because you're in tune with UConn news way more than your average fan.

If you ask a normal college basketball fan about Louisville, they're going to talk about hookers, blow and Pitino. For UConn? I doubt they even remember.

I think for me you can call my answer a yes* with an asterisk. If the issue is APR or recruiting violations, I don't really care. If we're rising to the level of legit crimes, then I'd say no.

I'm laughing at all the people who think this program has been clean for the past 30 years. Get your head out the sand, fellas.

There’s zero difference for you in 1) assuming we’ve had minor recruiting violations like most other programs in the past vs 2) winning a title on the back of knowing there was legit cheating to the point the NCAA removes our entire season ?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think this is just because you're in tune with UConn news way more than your average fan.

If you ask a normal college basketball fan about Louisville, they're going to talk about hookers, blow and Pitino. For UConn? I doubt they even remember.

I think for me you can call my answer a yes* with an asterisk. If the issue is APR or recruiting violations, I don't really care. If we're rising to the level of legit crimes, then I'd say no.

I'm laughing at all the people who think this program has been clean for the past 30 years. Get your head out the sand, fellas.
Why is it so important to you to beat this point into the ground? It never ceases to amaze me guys who like to that there guys who feel the need to say "I know negative things about this program" repeatedly. Cool. Your low-key humble brag, and low-key crapping on the program is duly noted. How about you let it go now?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Why is it so important to you to beat this point into the ground? It never ceases to amaze me guys who like to that there guys who feel the need to say "I know negative things about this program" repeatedly. Cool. Your low-key humble brag, and low-key crapping on the program is duly noted. How about you let it go now?

Everybody knows everybody has cut corners.

With NIL money on the table now, everything is different; imagine just how EXTREMELY DIRTY you'd have to be to get stripped of a title for recruiting violations.

We've got 5 titles. I want to win more but let's not be desperate. We're not PC.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Unless it involves murder or sexual assault, then a resounding yes - who cares what the NCAA says.
So then why do people give a poo about Pitino, Self, Calipari etc if how they build a team doesn’t take away from the celebration? Seriously.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
How is this hypocritical? The Fab 5 made two final 4s, Louisville won the title in 2013 and Reggie Bush won a Heisman trophy.

Some empty suit working an email job for the NCAA is going to tell me differently? Please.

Let me ask you this. Do you think anybody these days, under the current rules, would be stripped of a title or Heisman Trophy based on payments like the ones made to Webber and Bush? The answer is no. The Fab 5 would get exponentially more money today than whatever pocket money they got.

Paying hookers, OTOH? Yes. Is that the kind of recruiting violation we're prepared to accept for a 6th title?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That's exactly the thing, I don't care
Great for you. 90% of this board whines about how other coaches cheat. So apparently they do care. So i imagine you are all in for Hurley to do whatever it takes to get recruits. All in

Reaction Score
I think the better question is do you take a national championship next year but then don't make the NCAA tournament for the next 10 years.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
UConn had the plane ticket scandal in the mid-90s with King, the laptop scandal with Price, the scooter crash, a few Ollie things, and the insanely dumb APR nonsense. To the best of my knowledge that is the worst UConn has done and nowhere near what Lville, Kansas, and UNC have done. But otherwise as far as I know they've been pretty damn clean all things considered. To have to vacate a championship you'd have to do a lot worse than the above and I wouldn't be willing to do all that. UConn has already gotten way too much flak, more than deserved, for the laptops or APR or whatever, people would jump all over something done that is bad enough to vacate a 'chip because it's UConn doing it. Not willing to deal with the hit to UConn's rep if a championship was vacated, very hard NO to this hypothetical.

You forgot Nate Miles.

Reaction Score
Let me ask you this. Do you think anybody these days, under the current rules, would be stripped of a title or Heisman Trophy based on payments like the ones made to Webber and Bush? The answer is no. The Fab 5 would get exponentially more money today than whatever pocket money they got.

Paying hookers, OTOH? Yes. Is that the kind of recruiting violation we're prepared to accept for a 6th title?
Prostitution should be legal. I have zero problem with people around the program paying for sex.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So then why do people give a poo about Pitino, Self, Calipari etc if how they build a team doesn’t take away from the celebration? Seriously.

Good question. People are dumb?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm curious. Does your situational ethics extend to your personal life?

Talk about a ridiculous statement. Yes, I'm sure @navery12 is a truly unethical individual because he can look past 18 year old kids (many of which are from poor economic situations) receiving impermissible money to play basketball.

How could someone possibly live them with themselves.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Talk about a ridiculous statement. Yes, I'm sure @navery12 is a truly unethical individual because he can look past 18 year old kids (many of which are from poor economic situations) receiving impermissible money to play basketball.

How could someone possibly live them with themselves.
So I'll put you down for YES.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So I'll put you down for YES.

A resounding YES, with the stipulation that nobody gets hurt.

If UConn had been a State Pen or Michigan State I wouldn't have argued if they burned the entire program to the ground and threw salt on it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
No, personally it’s a yes, but people give us a hard time now about not being a blue blood etc, so I don’t want to give them more ammo.

Reaction Score
How many people here don’t consider Louisville the 2013 champions? I certainly do, and they did some really messed up stuff.

Personally I consider myself to be a better human being than Rick Pitino, so I wouldn’t take this deal if the violation was anything like what happened over there. I have no interest in this program doing anything that sick

But something like communications outside of allowed times, unapproved workouts, even small secret gifts or money (let’s be real everybody did/does this), then I wouldn’t lose sleep over winning that championship.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you care if rules are broken to your detriment and the benefit of others? If so, I think it is disingenuous to not care. You're not alone, I just don't see how one squares that circle.

Because one involves college sports - which is almost inherently sleazy - fandom and the other is your actual life? I don't see how this is a point of contention. It would be more strange to me if someone couldn't make that distinction. I don't particularly care if some 18 year old kid gets something under the table to play at State U so that means I'm going to embezzle money from my employer? How does that make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom