Would You Pay to Stream Uconn Women Big East Games? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would You Pay to Stream Uconn Women Big East Games?

Reaction Score
I was referring to the games while we were in the AAC and ESPN had some broadcasting rights. I stand by my statement with the change that maybe one game may have been on ESPN+ but I don't think so but could be a possibility. I did buy ESPN+ for some reason until it was included with Disney+.
I'm not sure we ever got the full details of what the ESPN contract would have been but don't think UConn would have dug in their heels and left the conference for one or two streaming games. Their SNY contract is their golden goose and they weren't about to give it up.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I didn't say you were wrong, I was saying the ESPN+ deal hadn't happened yet while Uconn was still in the AAC.
So you are comparing apples to oranges. The AAC/ESPN+ deal started with the 2020-21 academic year and UConn rejoined the Big East starting with the 2020-21 academic year. So UConn WBB was not in any danger of being streamed only on ESPN+. And I thought that in the thread OP, you were saying that UConn WBB games were streamed by ESPN+. I misunderstood what you were saying.

Reaction Score
So you are comparing apples to oranges. The AAC/ESPN+ deal started with the 2020-21 academic year and UConn rejoined the Big East starting with the 2020-21 academic year. So UConn WBB was not in any danger of being streamed only on ESPN+. And I thought that in the thread OP, you were saying that UConn WBB games were streamed by ESPN+. I misunderstood what you were saying.
Yes, and there was a whole lot of cause and effect going on there. Uconn joined the Big East prior to the 2020-21 year in large part due to that TV deal (along with travel expense and lack of natural rivalries) that they didn't like. So if Uconn didn't go back to the Big East they WOULD HAVE BEEN part of the AAC streaming deal, which is what my OP pretty much said.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know how much it would be to cause me to just not watch the games. There is a point I'd watch next day on YouTube or wherever, but it is a whole lot more than say 10 bucks a month. At $10 a game it would be entertainment money well spent.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Make It Rain Money GIF

Whatever it takes...

Reaction Score
As we know, all of these different streaming services such as Disney+, Discovery+, etc. are popping up. Series that you used to be able to watch with your cable package now cost you extra if you want to see them. So out of curiosity, I ask fellow BY participants if there were no SNY or other contract and the only way you could see the Uconn Women Big East and non-conference games not aired on on national TV, is through a streaming service that you currently do not already pay for, would you pay for an additional streaming service to watch them? If yes, what would be your price point? $4.99/month? 9.99/month? Other amount? Or would you draw the line and just watch games that are nationally televised?
I know this was almost a real dilemma when Uconn was still in the AAC and you would have had to watch most games on ESPN+. Hopefully, we won't ever have to worry about this but you never know years down the road what may happen. Just curious as to how much extra (if any) people are willing to pay to watch the Uconn Women non-national TV games if the decision were forced on you.
I would not. I already pay Uverse.

Reaction Score
I pay for now....I live in California, have Direct TV and have to pay extra for SNY.
I'm in Arizona and don't have SNY on my cable package here, but I'm able to stream the games via the Fox website, you can't do that in CA?

Reaction Score
When CPTV started their streaming service I was in Miami and was happy to buy the service, can't remember the cost, because it was the only way for me to watch.
So, yes, I would (and I have.)
I was also in Florida at that time and I think it was $29.95 for the season and to me well worth it. Now I'm in Arizona and stream on Fox's website, but would gladly pay a reasonable amount to watch the Huskies!

Reaction Score
Trying to watch the games from Europe I'd happily pay for a streaming option (up to 30 $ a month I guess) for the Big East (and other non-tournament games). It was great being able to watch the tournament games live on ESPN+. The only other option to watch the Big East games was Youtube last year - waiting for the uploads, trying not to get spoiled.... (really thankful to the uploaders btw). I'd be happy to pay to see them live, especially if UCONN benefitted financially as well.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Here's an Idea outside the Box,,, ?

Why don't the University of Connecticut or any Educational Institution for that matter, provide free streaming to their sports programs for any Household who have previously attended and invested in their fine institution? Just think how that could possibly increase enrollment especially in the case of UCONN ⛹️‍♀️?‍♀️

My Son, Daughter, and Wife all attended and earned degrees at UConn, I think we have paid enough already, so my answer is No. If I'm going to pay I might consider doing so to go to a live game, which in my opinion is a reasonable expense for the entertainment value.

Funny-Money-Meme-Stop-Asking-Me-For-Money-Picture.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Schools charging alumni for games at their own school is kind of stupid, anyway. Real sad people want to make so much money off just that.

Reaction Score
As we know, all of these different streaming services such as Disney+, Discovery+, etc. are popping up. Series that you used to be able to watch with your cable package now cost you extra if you want to see them. So out of curiosity, I ask fellow BY participants if there were no SNY or other contract and the only way you could see the Uconn Women Big East and non-conference games not aired on on national TV, is through a streaming service that you currently do not already pay for, would you pay for an additional streaming service to watch them? If yes, what would be your price point? $4.99/month? 9.99/month? Other amount? Or would you draw the line and just watch games that are nationally televised?
I know this was almost a real dilemma when Uconn was still in the AAC and you would have had to watch most games on ESPN+. Hopefully, we won't ever have to worry about this but you never know years down the road what may happen. Just curious as to how much extra (if any) people are willing to pay to watch the Uconn Women non-national TV games if the decision were forced on you.
Would gladly pay but would prefer to pay on a per game basis just like when you rent a movie.

Reaction Score
I would not pay anything per month.
But I would gladly pay per game, say $3, maybe $4 per game.

Reaction Score
I can't remember the specifics but I remember subscribing to 'college games live' or some such service quite a few years back to be able to watch the few games that I couldn't get in my area. At points I have also added a sports package when SNY wasn't included in the regular cable bundle I've had. So yes I would pay, and have, to be able to watch every single game each season. The few times I haven't been able to watch games live the last couple season I've told my friend not to text me anything during the game as he watched it so I didn't know what happened when I watched the replay late that night or the next day (whenever was the soonest I could get it). I haven't missed seeing a game live, on replay or in person in nearly a decade so I'd be easy prey for a streaming service if that was my only option. My wife would readily agree that I am addicted to UCONN wcbb.

Reaction Score
I hope it doesn't happen as I already pay for several platforms. However, my wife and I enjoy following the team, so we would pay a reasonable amount each month. Less than $10 I would hope.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
When CPTV started their streaming service I was in Miami and was happy to buy the service, can't remember the cost, because it was the only way for me to watch.
So, yes, I would (and I have.)
We also payed CPTV when we moved to Maine in Jan 2010. It was $50 for the season. That's a bargain! Yes, we would pay to see our beloved women. We would consider it cheap, considering the value of being able to watch every game live.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I also switched to Youtube TV last year from Comcast. Free SNY, BIG 10, ACC, and SEC networks. Having retired last year, Uconn WBB is my sole passion, and salvation during the winter. I would gladly pay for the entire season, and I'm sure it wouldn't be more than 9.99 a month.

Reaction Score
I'm truly amazed that so many in the Boneyard community are so worried about what it costs to watch the games from home. Sure, there are some who are on a tight budget and every dollar counts. In that case next day viewing is free. Many, if not most of us can afford to pay to view. I'm not rich, but if I had to pay 10 bucks a game - no brainer. That would be max $350 a year. Considering many of us hang out in Boneyard most every day, and read and post about the team in exquisite detail all year, to pay $350 to actually watch the bloody games is nothing, particularly if spread out over 4 months.

Some are concerned that so many games are not competitive and paying more than a pittance to watch them would be too much. I personally want to watch more than the maybe 7 or 8 (if that) games a year we could actually lose. Those conference blow outs are the games we can see the bench play, and after all the talk about how Mir and Aubrey and Piath and the frosh will develop, that's when we can actually see where they are at. I am not bored watching blow outs in the least.

The cost to watch UConn games, in the worst case scenario, is small considering that everything is expensive and how much enjoyment we get.

Reaction Score
Since I can watch all the games for free on the replays I would not pay extra to watch...I would rather spend the money on pizza although there isn't good pizza in Florida...
pizza GIF

Reaction Score
Since I can watch all the games for free on the replays I would not pay extra to watch...I would rather spend the money on pizza although there isn't good pizza in Florida...
pizza GIF
Wherever that pizza is from, they didn't skimp on the pepperoni.

Reaction Score
I would be inclined to watch the replays unless they go away too.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
As FL transplants from CT and veterans of UCWBB on CPTV, we would pay to see games. We are probably bigger fans of UConn than pro sports, although we still watch NFL and NBA games when they are on cable.

Reaction Score
Of course we all would! Apparently BY'ers aren't "cutting the cord". Everyone must have big cable packages that include SNY.
The idea is that people do not have to buy humongous cable packages, 90% of which they do not watch. Instead we can order "a la carte, or we purchase the services that we want instead. If you haven't already done this, try doing the math and see how it works out for you. Research some of the bundled streaming packages and the "channels" that contain network news and sports.
Back in the late 90's and 2000's I followed Gonzaga closely (I spent a month there in a teacher workshop and I liked the Cinderella story) and I ordered a special sports package from Directv that gave me all that West Coast Root sports stuff, so I could stay up until 2 watching those games. The answer is, of course we'll pay a premium for UConn WCBB. Cut out your double lattes at Starbucks and it's paid for.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
We paid CPTV and we lived in Connecticut. We would donate $200 a year during the pledge drives. But we were particular about which people were begging the day we donated. We would never donate during a game when Jerry Franklin was on camera. That man made my skin crawl. I know, I should be thankful that he agreed to take the initial chance, but ugh. I'd find myself checking to see that he hadn't stolen my watch and wallet, even though he was only on TV. For us a Larry Rifkin and Harriet Unger game was the game to donate during. They just seemed like wonderful people we would love to have over for dinner.

When we decided to cut the cord, we went with You Tube TV, since they are very sports-heavy and have all the UConn games. It's not the cheapest option, so I guess we are already paying to stream UConn in that regard. You Tube tv, Amazon Prime Video that's part of Amazon Prime, Netflix is "free" because we're T-Mobile phone people, Apple TV+ on a year's free trial and we've got all that programming we need. We're sometimes tempted to take on another service because friends are talking about how much they love a program, but enough is enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom