Would You Pay to Stream Uconn Women Big East Games? | The Boneyard

Would You Pay to Stream Uconn Women Big East Games?

Reaction Score
As we know, all of these different streaming services such as Disney+, Discovery+, etc. are popping up. Series that you used to be able to watch with your cable package now cost you extra if you want to see them. So out of curiosity, I ask fellow BY participants if there were no SNY or other contract and the only way you could see the Uconn Women Big East and non-conference games not aired on on national TV, is through a streaming service that you currently do not already pay for, would you pay for an additional streaming service to watch them? If yes, what would be your price point? $4.99/month? 9.99/month? Other amount? Or would you draw the line and just watch games that are nationally televised?
I know this was almost a real dilemma when Uconn was still in the AAC and you would have had to watch most games on ESPN+. Hopefully, we won't ever have to worry about this but you never know years down the road what may happen. Just curious as to how much extra (if any) people are willing to pay to watch the Uconn Women non-national TV games if the decision were forced on you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
why suggest a NIGHTMARE?
Certainly not a "suggestion" or something I'd want to happen. However, I can see this happening some day. Hopefully later rather than sooner.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
When CPTV started their streaming service I was in Miami and was happy to buy the service, can't remember the cost, because it was the only way for me to watch.
So, yes, I would (and I have.)

Reaction Score
I have Spectrum (with ESPN, FOX), ESPN+ and WNBA. I will pay up to $15/month for other UConn games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I got YouTube TV to be able to watch all UConn games, men's BB, woman's BB and football so I guess I'd pay $69/mo. Just paused it until next season. I have Hulu; I will probably get Netfix.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think 10$ a month would be reasonable if necessary. I think alot of the SNY addons are important for me so I would want those as well.

Reaction Score
I got YouTube TV to be able to watch all UConn games, men's BB, woman's BB and football so I guess I'd pay $69/mo. Just paused it until next season. I have Hulu; I will probably get Netfix.
This is in addition to cable tv?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is in addition to cable tv?
No, I dropped cable and picked up YTTV. Other than UConn, I don't really watch all that much.

Reaction Score
I would have to see specifics and cost. if just Big East games, probably not since they are so non-competitive. I talk big now, but since my life revolves around them during the season, I’m fairly confident I’d buckle !! You can’t take it with you, as my wife is fond of reminding me.

Reaction Score
Absolutely NO! Please don't give any grubbing Telcom executives out there that there is a ready market of people willing to fork over their money. Why don't we just shoot ourselves in the foot? Here, take my money, please...

Reaction Score
Absolutely NO! Please don't give any grubbing Telcom executives out there that there is a ready market of people willing to fork over their money. Why don't we just shoot ourselves in the foot? Here, take my money, please...
Someone actually advised me not to post this because I might be guilty of "planting the seed". I'm sure there have already been stogie smoke filled rooms with rolled up sleeves at big conference room tables (or these days on a Zoom call) thinking of ideas of how to exploit the likes of us and our inability to live without watching all of the Uconn women's games.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Where is the option, We will allow you to stream the games to us if you direct deposit 10$ a month into our account. :rolleyes:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I don't remember any UConn WBB game on ESPN+ (the pay extra add-on), I believe every game streamed by ESPN was on ESPN3 (known as WatchESPN or the ESPN app).
As far as paying extra for UConn WBB games, when I had DirecTV, I paid $9.95/month for the Sports Package that included SNY even though I was not in the SNY viewing area. So...

Reaction Score
I don't remember any UConn WBB game on ESPN+ (the pay extra add-on), I believe every game streamed by ESPN was on ESPN3 (known as WatchESPN or the ESPN app).
As far as paying extra for UConn WBB games, when I had DirecTV, I paid $9.95/month for the Sports Package that included SNY even though I was not in the SNY viewing area. So...
There were no games on ESPN+ because Uconn left the AAC, which signed a contract with ESPN+ right before Uconn left for the following season. If they didn't go to the back to the Big East (and this was one of the big drivers for it) we would have likely had to watch on ESPN+ unless some kind of deal would have been worked out.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
There were no games on ESPN+ because Uconn left the AAC, which had a contract with ESPN+. If they didn't go to the back to the Big East (and this was one of the big drivers for it) we would have likely had to watch on ESPN+ unless some kind of deal would have been worked out.
I was referring to the games while we were in the AAC and ESPN had some broadcasting rights. I stand by my statement with the change that maybe one game may have been on ESPN+ but I don't think so but could be a possibility. I did buy ESPN+ for some reason until it was included with Disney+.

Reaction Score
I was referring to the games while we were in the AAC and ESPN had some broadcasting rights. I stand by my statement.
I didn't say you were wrong, I was saying the ESPN+ deal hadn't happened yet while Uconn was still in the AAC.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
When CPTV started their streaming service I was in Miami and was happy to buy the service, can't remember the cost, because it was the only way for me to watch.
So, yes, I would (and I have.)
Ditto for me in Southern California. It was CPTV or nothing. Back then, the streaming was terrible. Lots of frozen screens. :( Thank goodness for 21st century technology. HD color is as good as it will get. If there was no other way for me to see ALL of the UConn women's games, I would pay an access fee that was reasonable. I'm already paying extra. I've been paying extra for a "sports package (DirecTV) that included SNY since they began to televise UConn WBB games, but only during the season. I cancel the package right after the last game (post game show) that's televised by SNY goes off the air.

I'd even settle for watching the games on a tape delay/on demand basis (for free), as long as I could see the entire game at my leisure. I'm totally hooked on UConn WBB. I haven't missed a game in over 10 years. I'm not going to start now by trying to save a few dollars I can't take with me anyway. Watching and following UConn WBB is one of the few pleasures I still have. I don't follow the NBA, NCAAM, MLB, NHL or MLS. I only watch the NCAAW, WNBA and the NFL. That's year round sports action. :)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom