Would another loss actually be a good thing? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Would another loss actually be a good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
'Lose a battle to win the war' has never applied to UConn!

And right now being the King, every battle is the war.

Reaction Score
Anyone who poses this question or answers yes should have to explain to Dan Hurley in person why it's better to lose a few games in the next few weeks

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Could you imagine saying this to Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant?

No way. Let's win them all.

Reaction Score
Ok, hear me out- all of us, myself included, want UConn to run the table the rest of the year.

No one wants a loss come BET or NCAAT time. So if they were to lose again, I think we would all want it to be in the next five games.

My question is, could another regular season loss (or 2) actually be a good thing for the team? With only one or two more losses we would still likely secure a #1 or #2 seed in the NCAAT. Would a loss take some of the pressure off the team? Would it help them refocus on an area that could be an issue in the postseason? Could the team be getting too confident? (These are all hypothetical questions mind you.)

What do you think?

No, they have already lost twice this year. The team is something like 40-4 since January 2023. We don’t need to lose to win. Just need to play our game. If we are upset, so be it and keep the next game mentality.

Reaction Score
I think a loss might help with refocusing and motivation. As everyone has said, I do think Hurley has this team very focused already, but a loss at Marquette might be perfect timing.

Reaction Score
Winning only seems to make this team and coach hungrier, I don't think they need a loss for motivation.

Reaction Score
I think a loss might help with refocusing and motivation. As everyone has said, I do think Hurley has this team very focused already, but a loss at Marquette might be perfect timing.
Are you crazy? Is the team playing like they are unfocused now? There is no perfect timing for a loss, ever!

Reaction Score

This sort of thing makes sense when a team is winning but not playing particularly well, or is not focused, or is coasting on talent. I don't think this crew needs any kind of reset to remember to play hard.

All that being said, I suspect this debate will be academic (potentially a few hours from now) because I really don't see them going to Creighton, Marquette and even Providence and emerging 3-0.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't be a good thing. But it wouldn't be a bad thing either, or at least not the end of the world cause one loss won't deter this team. Tonight and @marquette will he battles and shall, Nova and Providence will be fighting for their tourney lives so no easy games. 3-2 to end the season should NOT be cause for concern.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Which game do you want to lose? Why play it? We should just forfeit that game.

Reaction Score
Coach Dan Hurley speaking about the #1 AP ranking:

"Our mentality should be: it's like carrying around a belt... Somebody should have to pry it out of our dead hands. We should play so hard to keep this thing that somebody has to rip it out of our lifeless body"

This should put that ridiculous question to bed!

Reaction Score
I am at this unique point now where I expect them to win every game. But at the same time, even if they lose every game from here on out I would still be very happy with where the program is.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't think one loss would matter either way. But I expect us to lose more than 1 in this stretch anyways.
Agree fully.

If someone were to tell me that we will absolutely lose one more game this season and I could choose which one you can bet your life I'd pick one of this game or the upcoming game at Marquette.

This isn't reality and thus team does not need a wakeup call, a scare or the pressure of a superb record relieved. I really don't believe that the end result of any of our remaining regular season games will have any impact on how our season ends.

Reaction Score
If this was a team that had Sanogo, Jackson and Hawkins back, going for their second ring, I might entertain the idea. I think back to the stunning loss to GW, about which Calhoun said half his guys had mentally moved on already. I don't believe this team will be complacent or distracted.
Clingan and Karaban are back and were significant cogs to last years team, but their roles are different. Yes, Karaban played the most minutes of any player last year, but his job was really to be serviceable and compliment the players. This year, he is a leader. Clingan's role has obviously changed. Castle and Spencer are experiencing something new. The two players who are closest in serving the same role are Newton and Diarra, but even they have taken another step and responded positively to having more on their shoulders. Johnson, Stewart and Ball obviously weren't big parts of last years team. 2 weren't even on campus then.

I'd rather let the Juggernaut build and if teams who aren't used to how physical UConn is and how hard they play, they may fold a little quicker in the tournament if UConn surges to a decent lead.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Ok, hear me out- all of us, myself included, want UConn to run the table the rest of the year.

No one wants a loss come BET or NCAAT time. So if they were to lose again, I think we would all want it to be in the next five games.

My question is, could another regular season loss (or 2) actually be a good thing for the team? With only one or two more losses we would still likely secure a #1 or #2 seed in the NCAAT. Would a loss take some of the pressure off the team? Would it help them refocus on an area that could be an issue in the postseason? Could the team be getting too confident? (These are all hypothetical questions mind you.)

What do you think?

For future reference, what's your neck size?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Mcr Teenagers GIF by My Chemical Romance

Lock this up.

Reaction Score
We had this discussion on here recently. I can't find the thread but the general consensus was no they don't need a loss because Hurley would never let them lose focus anyway. So a loss wouldn't help their focus because Hurley can keep them focused without a loss.
Looks like that’s not so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32