Would a Big East Big 12 Merger Make Sense? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would a Big East Big 12 Merger Make Sense?

Reaction Score
Depends if it increases their payout. It could bring about a Pac 12 Big East early season hoop deal also that would draw interest for Fox. It is like an arms race in college athletics. Two opposing sides. Brought on by ESPN. A disgrace.

No, it doesn’t depend just on payout being increased. Yes, obviously if it triples payout it is something that has to be considered, but the basketball onlies want to control their own destiny having learned from the failure of the Big East. And there is little reason to think that combining the Big East and the Big XII materially increases the per school BASKETBALL revenue.

Reaction Score
It would definitely make sense. With the ACC, B1G, and PAC looking at an alliance it’s obvious that the B12 is being boxed out. There really are no additions that move the needle in football and bringing in a couple of decent basketball schools would be a drop in the bucket. Merging the B12 into the Big East in a reverse merger of sorts would shore up the combined conference as one of the best in basketball and still a contender on the field in football even without the heavyweight brands of OU and TX. Keep the Big East name and the NYC tournament, add Cincinnati and inherit the B12 autonomy status and the Big East would be all the way back as a major conference. It would be a huge story in college sports.

Reaction Score
It would definitely make sense. With the ACC, B1G, and PAC looking at an alliance it’s obvious that the B12 is being boxed out. There really are no additions that move the needle in football and bringing in a couple of decent basketball schools would be a drop in the bucket. Merging the B12 into the Big East in a reverse merger of sorts would shore up the combined conference as one of the best in basketball and still a contender on the field in football even without the heavyweight brands of OU and TX. Keep the Big East name and the NYC tournament, add Cincinnati and inherit the B12 autonomy status and the Big East would be all the way back as a major conference. It would be a huge
Would losing the Big 12 name cost them P5 status? I do like how you think. The Big East had almost 20 teams once also.

Reaction Score
Would losing the Big 12 name cost them P5 status? I do like how you think. The Big East had almost 20 teams once also.
Legally, as the successor to the B12 it would have autonomy status. I don’t know what the mechanism for taking it away would be. With the old Big East the American was a BCS conference for the final year of its existence. Seems like autonomy status would be harder to remove since it’s an NCAA designation.

Reaction Score
The Big East is a power conference in basketball by any measure. Aligning with the Big 12 Leftovers could be a way to end up on the right side of the fence if there is break away from the NCAA. Natural fit that may take a few years to make sense to all parties.

Reaction Score
Football schools are not going to affiliate with the Big East.

Basketball and other Olympic sports affiliate with the Big East while football schools either go indy or form a conference with just football programs across the country. This might not sound appealing right now, but it could be a potential setup if these schools want to keep their basketball programs in a power conference such as the Big East.

Reaction Score
Basketball and other Olympic sports affiliate with the Big East while football schools either go indy or form a conference with just football programs across the country. This might not sound appealing right now, but it could be a potential setup if these schools want to keep their basketball programs in a power conference such as the Big East.
I'm not sure the Catholic schools want ANYTHING to do with football schools anymore.

Reaction Score
These hybrid ideas would have to be something pushed by Fox or another network, they aren't happening for any other reason. Remember, even for basketball only schools, money and survival matter more than preferences. If Providence and Seton Hall see their days numbered as major basketball schools, they'll cozy right up to Texas Tech and Baylor.

Reaction Score
UConn was a one off, unique fit and even with that they put all kinds of cash penalties in place if we leave.

I don't see how the NBE chooses to go down the same path they went down the last time. Especially w B12 leftovers

Reaction Score
UConn was a one off, unique fit and even with that they put all kinds of cash penalties in place if we leave.

I don't see how the NBE chooses to go down the same path they went down the last time. Especially w B12 leftovers
I see it quite plainly.

"Hey. Do this merger with the Big XII remnants and we pay you double what you're making right now in media rights."

Is it something likely to happen? Probably not. But still.

Reaction Score
These hybrid ideas would have to be something pushed by Fox or another network, they aren't happening for any other reason. Remember, even for basketball only schools, money and survival matter more than preferences. If Providence and Seton Hall see their days numbered as major basketball schools, they'll cozy right up to Texas Tech and Baylor.
I really don't see too many options for B12 leftovers since no P5 conference want any of them.

B12 and P12 alliance thing didn't pan out. None of B1G, P12, and ACC are talking up B12 leftovers for expansion.

What other option they have to generate more revenue? Hooking up with Big East for basketball and other sports while creating a side football conference (Uconn as 9th) isn't so bad. If you need more, you can always pick off top of AAC. Yeah it's like the old Big East, but if money is right I believe schools will go for it. Fox might push this if it helps them locking up bunch of content for their network.

Reaction Score
I really don't see too many options for B12 leftovers since no P5 conference want any of them.

B12 and P12 alliance thing didn't pan out. None of B1G, P12, and ACC are talking up B12 leftovers for expansion.

What other option they have to generate more revenue? Hooking up with Big East for basketball and other sports while creating a side football conference (Uconn as 9th) isn't so bad. If you need more, you can always pick off top of AAC. Yeah it's like the old Big East, but if money is right I believe schools will go for it. Fox might push this if it helps them locking up bunch of content for their network.
Exactly how i see it. Like i said, if it's going to happen it will be a few years down the road. The Big 12 schools are going to have to squeeze out every penny, from OU/Texas leaving before they'd consider it, but yes, i can see a scenario where Fox views that hybrid conference concept as a great content. With the Big East already in the Midwest with Marquette, Depaul, Creighton, and Xavier, the geographic fit isn't exactly terrible. Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Kansas have great basketball. Fox over paid somewhat for BE basketball.

Reaction Score
Exactly how i see it. Like i said, if it's going to happen it will be a few years down the road. The Big 12 schools are going to have to squeeze out every penny, from OU/Texas leaving before they'd consider it, but yes, i can see a scenario where Fox views that hybrid conference concept as a great content. With the Big East already in the Midwest with Marquette, Depaul, Creighton, and Xavier, the geographic fit isn't exactly terrible. Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Kansas have great basketball. Fox over paid somewhat for BE basketball.

Fox will drive this based on their content needs, and control media rights for the Big East and B12 leftovers in one big scoop. As for Big East basketball media worth, it depends. If you think basketball is 20% of the media rights for a conference, and if Big East basketball is like B1G basketball, then that right might be worth close to $11.2M per year (B1G paying $56M per school). If it is only 10%, then it's still $5.6M. Based on the $5.6M, Big East is being underpaid right now.

Both SEC and B1G are expecting bumps in their next media deal, and Big East should do the same. Big East's next media deal needs to be closer to $10M per school if based on the market. With the addition of Kansas and others, Big East might get closer to this figure. At end of the day, it is all about the money.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom