Worst strategy in basketball | The Boneyard

Worst strategy in basketball

Reaction Score
Okay, I know I'll be called an idiot but I am sick and tired of wasting 15 seconds or more at the end of a quarter. Everyone does it. UConn is no exception. It often ends in a desperate, no chance miss, or, as in the case of the end of first quarter today with Baylor/ND, a steal and a score at the opposite end. I say, forget the clock, run your normal offense, and work for a good shot whether it takes 5 or 29 seconds. If the good shot leaves time on the clock, play defense. The play for one last shot strategy implies you can't. Yeah, I lnow all about conventional wisdom. I will now put my soap box away.

Reaction Score
I'm all for hold for the last possession, but you still need to run offense and get a good look. All too often that does not happen. Dangerfield in particular usually takes too long to commence the final play, often waiting until there nine or even fewer seconds left on the clock. By then, the opposition knows she's going one on one to try to score, and because there's no element of surprise, have a good chance at stopping her.

Reaction Score
I'm all for hold for the last possession, but you still need to run offense and get a good look. All too often that does not happen. Dangerfield in particular usually takes too long to commence the final play, often waiting until there nine or even fewer seconds left on the clock. By then, the opposition knows she's going one on one to try to score, and because there's no element of surprise, have a good chance at stopping her.
So what do you do if the perfect shot comes with 15 seconds left--pull back and play for a last second shot? I don't think so. You shoot and play defense. But I agree about Dangerfield.

Reaction Score
So what do you do if the perfect shot comes with 15 seconds left--pull back and play for a last second shot? I don't think so. You shoot and play defense. But I agree about Dangerfield.
Agreed, in fact that's more or less what I wanted to convey. I like it best when it's commenced with enough of a time cushion to say allow for an o-board and stick - back, or to absorb a broken play.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Didn't the game two years ago against Mississippi State demonstrate the fallacy of this proposal? Saniya started the offense (and ended it) with 12 seconds left in the game, against the intentions of everyone. If she had waited until there were 5 or 6 seconds on the clock, and then made the same move with the same result, the game would have gone into a second overtime without resulting in an immediate loss, because there would have been no opportunity for that amazing buzzer-beater at the other end.

Reaction Score
Arike just showed why sometimes it’s not a good idea to leave time on the clock. Baylor scored with about 6 seconds left at the end of the 3rd giving Arike plenty of time to hit a 3.
Well, you do have to play defense. That's the point. If your team is lousy on defense, then maybe--just maybe--you play for last shot.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Okay, I know I'll be called an idiot but I am sick and tired of wasting 15 seconds or more at the end of a quarter. Everyone does it. UConn is no exception. It often ends in a desperate, no chance miss, or, as in the case of the end of first quarter today with Baylor/ND, a steal and a score at the opposite end. I say, forget the clock, run your normal offense, and work for a good shot whether it takes 5 or 29 seconds. If the good shot leaves time on the clock, play defense. The play for one last shot strategy implies you can't. Yeah, I know all about conventional wisdom. I will now put my soap box away.
It is right up there with football's prevent defense which always becomes the allow the game winning score defense. I agree with you!

Reaction Score
Didn't the game two years ago against Mississippi State demonstrate the fallacy of this proposal? Saniya started the offense (and ended it) with 12 seconds left in the game, against the intentions of everyone. If she had waited until there were 5 or 6 seconds on the clock, and then made the same move with the same result, the game would have gone into a second overtime without resulting in an immediate loss, because there would have been no opportunity for that amazing buzzer-beater at the other end.
That was Geno's loss. They just gave her the ball and everybody just stood around and watched. No play.

Reaction Score
Okay, I know I'll be called an idiot but I am sick and tired of wasting 15 seconds or more at the end of a quarter. Everyone does it. UConn is no exception. It often ends in a desperate, no chance miss, or, as in the case of the end of first quarter today with Baylor/ND, a steal and a score at the opposite end. I say, forget the clock, run your normal offense, and work for a good shot whether it takes 5 or 29 seconds. If the good shot leaves time on the clock, play defense. The play for one last shot strategy implies you can't. Yeah, I lnow all about conventional wisdom. I will now put my soap box away.
Agree. I might disagree if we weren't the world's worst at it over the years.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
That was Geno's loss. They just gave her the ball and everybody just stood around and watched. No play.

I find it impossible to believe that’s when Geno Drew up.

I can’t imagine that Chong touching the ball was even in the play.

Reaction Score
This post drives me crazy.... holding for the last shot is absolutely the right thing to do.... It cost UConn against Miss St, and it cost Baylor tonight, when Jackson scored too early and Arike hit a 3 at the end of the half.... if you don't score, so be it.. but don't give the other team time to score. If you do score, it's a bonus.... UConn has been horrible at this over the years, shooting too early way too often.... I saw this so many times two years ago, and kept thinking that I hope this doesn't hurt them when it counts... but it did..

Reaction Score
I don't think one tactic is always the right. Which tactic to use should depend on the score, game situation and the personal involved. For example with the score tied and the other team has a player who can get a shot off at will it might not be a good idea to leave them any time.

Reaction Score
I am not sure which strategy is correct, although I suspect there is no black and white answer suitable for all situations. What seems clear is that all games which are on a timer you are juggling time and score. One is always to be exploited and one is the enemy. They often change at some crucial point in the contest.

the Q

Reaction Score
The worst strategy in that whole situation was Inbounding the ball under your basket.

Brown showed high hoops iq going deep. Should’ve just thrown her the ball at mid court. Highly unlikely anyone can do all of: out jump her, catch it cleanly, land, get enough momentum to hit a half court shot....

...all in 1.9 seconds

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Well, you do have to play defense. That's the point. If your team is lousy on defense, then maybe--just maybe--you play for last shot.
Unless you have a defense that can, without fail, hold the opponent to 0.0% shooting on a specific possession, you should ALWAYS hold for the last shot. Why give the opponent an opportunity to score if you don't have to? Anything that you can do offensively with 15 or 20 seconds left in the period can be done with 5 to 8 seconds left, and then (whether it fails or succeeds), the opponent has no chance to score afterwards. The one caveat is that you should allow enough time so that if your first shot attempt fails, there is a chance for an offensive rebound and a putback. That is why the shot should be taken with about 5 seconds left rather than with one or two seconds left.

In the NFL, you occasionally see a team allow an opponent to score a touchdown on a running play from inside the 5-yard line with a minute or so left in the game, just so that they can give their offense a chance to score afterwards. If they aggressively defend the goal line to stop the touchdown, then they know that the other team will just kick a short field goal with the clock expiring and win the game for sure.

the Q

Reaction Score
With the stupid advance the ball rule in wbb, that’s even more reason to hold for the last shot.

Reaction Score
I find it impossible to believe that’s when Geno Drew up.

I can’t imagine that Chong touching the ball was even in the play.
Agreed, it's almost certainly not what he drew up. However, I'm also convinced that he did not properly emphasize the need to hold for one very late on the clock. If he had done so, it never would have happened the way it did.

To this day, I consider it to be a massive in-game coaching botch up that Geno owns entirely. In his post game comments, he never threw Chong under the bus for that play, but we also never did learn what happened in that final team huddle.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Beg to differ. Pheesa & Gabby set a double screen at the foul line for Saniya. She came off the screen and for a split second saw an open lane to the basket.

Morgan William did not try to fight over the screen, but used her quickness to dart under the screen and meet Saniya as she drove to the basket. Some folks think Saniya was fouled by William. IMO it was a good no call.

In any event, it was a well designed play that was foiled by Morgan William’s exceptional quickness. In the words of Jeff Walz, “__it happens.”

Reaction Score
Beg to differ. Pheesa & Gabby set a double screen at the foul line for Saniya. She came off the screen and for a split second saw an open lane to the basket.

Morgan William did not try to fight over the screen, but used her quickness to dart under the screen and meet Saniya as she drove to the basket. Some folks think Saniya was fouled by William. IMO it was a good no call.

In any event, it was a well designed play that was foiled by Morgan William’s exceptional quickness. In the words of Jeff Walz, “__it happens.”
But why do you think the play you describe was executed so early given the time remaining?

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score
But why do you think it was run so early given the time remaining?

I just have a really hard time believing Geno wouldn’t say hold for the last shot.

But the truth is we will probably never know what really happened.

We’d have had a better chance is miss st won the whole thing. There would’ve been more talk and coverage of their run to the title. Rather than falling to sc

Reaction Score
I just have a really hard time believing Geno wouldn’t say hold for the last shot.
My theory was and is that he probably did say it at some point during the huddle, but not emphatically enough given the special and absolute importance it had in this unique situation. This wasn't some random end-of quarter play in just another game, in which the phrase "hold for one" is routinely uttered and probably half-flies over everybody's head. In this instance, the point needed a severity of emphasis from the head coach that I just think it never got, because I can't imagine the team doing what they did if it had.

But you're right, we'll probably never know.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But why do you think the play you describe was executed so early given the time remaining?
I don’t know the answer to that. But I’ll take the lead with a chance to get a stop on defense for the win any day over playing for a last second shot to win the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom