Worst movies ever | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Worst movies ever

Reaction Score
This nails it for me. Yet they got heavy airplay through the 70's, even into the early 80's. Dated product of their time says it all really.

Thought I would get into this Doors debate. I've always liked them, and thought that between Morrison's voice and the ever present keyboards thought they had a very distinctive sound.

The Doors indeed got loads of airplay in the late 70's and early 80's on mainstream rock stations. At the time I thought of it as a curiosity as no other band that was no longer active excepting the Beatles got the same treatment. Now I view the Doors resurgence in this time period as the very beginnings of the Classic Rock radio format where you would rarely if ever hear a new song.

Reaction Score
I actually like that movie. I didn't see it in a theater, but on TV or DVD it's a bit of goofy fun.

To be fair we had already seen a movie and walked into this one (without paying) - so the bar was high to sit through another couple of hours in the theater - but after 10-15 minutes we were like WTF and bolted.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
To be fair we had already seen a movie and walked into this one (without paying) - so the bar was high to sit through another couple of hours in the theater - but after 10-15 minutes we were like WTF and bolted.

I haven't watched it for quite a while. I think it takes a bit to get going. It's got some good 1 liners. Chevy Chase and Steve Martin in their heyday. I don't know, it's probably considered racist and stereotyping Mexicans now, but it came from the era before PC.

Reaction Score
I haven't watched it for quite a while. I think it takes a bit to get going. It's got some good 1 liners. Chevy Chase and Steve Martin in their heyday. I don't know, it's probably considered racist and stereotyping Mexicans now, but it came from the era before PC.

I would never put Three Amigos on a worst list! The movie had some decent parts, but it was also educational. I had the word "plethora" on my SAT. I don't remember if I knew the word before the movie, but I was damn sure of what it meant after the movie. Who knows... maybe one less question right on my SAT and I don't get in to UConn.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I felt a little guilty about savaging Jim Morrison and the Doors yesterday, because I remember there were a lot of things I liked about the movie at the time, and their music was kind of an important rite of passage for me. Foremost in my mind was the "Soft Parade" scene, as well as that song. As luck would have it, it came on Deep Tracks during my drive in this morning. I was tempted to change the station, but I decided to listen to it critically and see if I could still appreciate it.

I concluded that that song is basically everything you need to know or hear from Jim Morrison and the Doors, as it captures pretty much every element of what made them good, as well as what made them cringe-worthy.

But I also felt that it was important to remember that Morrison never got to grow old gracefully and age with his wisdom, poseur or not. Yeah, to a certain extent his legacy also benefits from being frozen at age 27 (like Janis, Jimi, Kurt, etc.), but he was clearly exploring the boundaries like a lot of youths, without the benefit of coming out the other end.

Good point. Their last album was their best one in my opinion. While songs like Light My Fire, Break on Through and Soft Parade seem ridiculous today, L.A. Woman is still an amazing song that has aged very well. It may be the most accurate anthem to Los Angeles ever written.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What a relief. I grew up w/ "Light My Fire" being played constantly on classic rock radio and being treated like it was a great song. I always hated it and thought it was terrible.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I am willing to give bad movies that made no pretensions about being good a pass. The ones that I hate are the ones that take themselves seriously and still suck. The Master is one of those.
PTA calls it his favorite film.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
PTA calls it his favorite film.

It is such a pretentious, over the top homage to the director's own "genius" that I am not surprised that he thinks that. He literally checks off ever "serious" director gimmick there is over the course of the movie, from extreme closeups to extreme distance shots. From gratuitous but non-sexual nudity (didn't even think that was possible until watching the Master), to stretching the boundaries of plot and character credibility for a "serious" movie. The whole movie was contrived and forced, and I couldn't stand it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Baywatch was incredibly bad, but I've watched it twice on plane rides and each time had a few laugh out loud lines. Good enough to make the rest of the movie worth it.
The CHiPs movie was horrible and I'm not even sure it had a plot, but also had a couple of LOL lines in it.

Never turn off Roadhouse. At least not until I get past "Pain don't hurt". So good.

As for fall asleep at theater, I did that back in college on a date. She suggested "Crying Game". I fell asleep about 10 minutes in to movie and never realized there was any surprise in it. I'm quite certain I was stoned to bejeezus. No, we never went on a date again. Yes, I'm certain she was all female. I think.

Jaws3 in 3D was atrocious but it was the first 3D movie I went to see.

Never got on to the Doors but "Love Her Madly" and "LA Woman" age very well.

Star Wars Episode 1 sucked.

Definitely took advantage of movies for the kids to catch up on sleep.

Reaction Score
To be considered "worst" I think it needs to be a movie that cost a lot to make, has a known director and even has known actors and still falls flat and earns very little or even loses money.

Something like .....
Battlefield Earth

You can also include Glitter and Waterworld. I mean, is there a star more arrogant than Kevin C? If you read how he behaved during the making of that movie and how pompous he was, it makes it that much worse.

I find it hard to include indie movies because at the very least, they tend to lack a decent budget giving it some excuses, most of the time being a fraction of the cost of the above abominations and sans famous actors.

So to be the worst, it needs to be a heavy spender, making the awfulness all the more inexcusable.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
To be considered "worst" I think it needs to be a movie that cost a lot to make, has a known director and even has known actors and still falls flat and earns very little or even loses money.

Something like .....
Battlefield Earth

You can also include Glitter and Waterworld. I mean, is there a star more arrogant than Kevin C? If you read how he behaved during the making of that movie and how pompous he was, it makes it that much worse.

I find it hard to include indie movies because at the very least, they tend to lack a decent budget giving it some excuses, most of the time being a fraction of the cost of the above abominations and sans famous actors.

So to be the worst, it needs to be a heavy spender, making the awfulness all the more inexcusable.

Waterworld made it's money back and then some overseas.

Reaction Score
There are far worse movies than Waterworld.
Not many with such a huge budget and so much hype.

You can also find movies that had 1% of the budget that are way better.

Waterworld made it's money back and then some overseas.

I always heard it cost a ton, like 250 mil, did awful in the states, a little better overseas and barely broke even overall. I remember hearing hype prior to its release and in the end was painfully "meh'. Does not help that I find KC to be super over rated.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I actually kinda liked Waterworld. I don't despise Costner either. Seems like he maybe got a bit of an attitude adjustment after he had a couple big flops and tumbled from the list of A listers. He's been solid in a number of more understated roles since then. He was really good in Mr. Brooks I thought.

Reaction Score
Two of my favorite movies are Bull Durham and Field of Dreams. Costner was fine in both of them.

As for his Waterworld, Costner certainly wasn't well suited for that movie. Waterworld's biggest problem is that wanted to be a deadly serious film but at the same time it had way over the top Mad Max type villains and action throughout the movie. The combination simply didn't work in this case. Also didn't help the Costner's character was pretty unsympathetic, and he is not an action star. He proved that in his Robin Hood movies. Still, while not a good movie, from what I've seen of it, Waterworld is at least watchable.

Reaction Score
I caught Why Him? the other night on HBO - just a vile, awful, largely non-funny comedy. And as mentioned in another thread, James Franco has got to be one of the most one-dimensional actors working today.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Trolls 2

So bad, it became a bit of a cult classic comedy

Reaction Score
Con Air - Nic Cage was still considered a star when this was released, and it reaked from the first viewing. Watching it now, this movie rates very high on the unintentional comedy meter. That southern accent is way better than any Chris Rock bit.

Face Off - read above. again, holy sy/t Nic Cage.

Suicide squad - was mentioned several times already and for good reason. At first glance it was an easy target audience to please and a hard movie to screw up. The only redeaming thing about it is I am pretty sure Jared Ledo won't work again.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was mentioned before, but I caught some of "Masters of the Universe" late last night. If I remember correctly it was supposed to be a blockbuster, but it was so cheap looking, terrible special effects, bad acting, dumb plot, just awful. Too bad even to be a cult classic. It was about as cheesy as Flash Gordon, but nowhere near as fun. And considering Gordon came out in 1980 and Masters came out in 1987, it's just hard to forgive how cheap everything came off looking. I didn't realize a young Courtney Cox was in it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom