Worst defending champion ever? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Worst defending champion ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To the OP, possibly? but who CARES?

You don't think that teams like Gonzaga, Virginia, Wisconsin, Missouri, how about Illinois, wouldn't gladly take ONE Championship run only to suck the next year?

We lost a ton of pieces from a championship team, a CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM that routed the number 1 team in the land, that destroyed the consensus favorite to win it all, and paralyzed a team that had destiny on its side. Screw anyone who questions this championship because this year we suck

Reaction Score
I'm less concerned with being "the worst defending champion" than I am being the worst UConn team since 1987 (which would be the 2007 17-14 team that was not invited to any postseason tourney).
I hope we can top the 2007 team! I think after last night I can see the team improving with a more confident Dham.

Reaction Score
Scott Hazelton was a McDonald's All American. Ben Gordon was top 30. Emeka Okafor was a 2 or 3 star recruit. High school rankings don't always translate to college success. Have you noticed the lineups on those final 4 teams (ok, '99 we had 2 McD's AA, but that was an exception)? How highly ranked were those starting 5's?

This team is what it is: young. This season reminds me of 2006-7 (and this year's team is better). At least this year, we're coming off a title run...

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Looks like we've got another 6'5" 250 lbs of pure muscle guy on our hands.

Reaction Score
This team's issues: chemistry, basketball IQ, youth and a fan base that has unreasonable expectations. We have a few all backyard whiners on this board. Fortunately it is only a few.

Reaction Score
This is a truly painful year. Team will struggle to be .500 in the worst "major" conference in D1 when all is said and done.
Better than playing this way and not having won the National Championship!

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Threads like this make it sound like people wish we hadn't won last year to avoid the indignity of being a bad defending champion.
I don't know, I'd say it was worth it.

Reaction Score
Rakings mean nothing! Kentucky has had the best recruiting class over the last few years. Uconn has beaten two of those classes three times. Kemba's squad twice in one year, Maui and National Championship. And last year with Shabazz, Giffey, Kromah, Olander and Daniels. I named all of them to remind you of the experience lost from this team. Also remember Kentucky went to NIT with thier studs a year after winning it all! This years team is truly a project but has much potential. Remember The Uconn team with AJ Price that went to NIT and came back next year and won it all? Forget about player rankings!

Reaction Score
Pretty good. Yes, the simple explanation is the 4-5 is awful. Brimah has some potential, have to look to Lubin and Enoch for the future 4. I can't imagine Facey will be the answer long term.

I'll bite.

Boat -- 34 mpg starter
Purvis -- frustrating 20 mpg rotation player, but not a starter and not relied on to carry the load
Hamilton -- 30 mpg, promising starter on a young team; a 22 mpg instant-offense bench guy on a veteran team
Facey -- 10 mpg 4th big
Brimah -- 15 mpg backup C

Samuel -- 5 mpg in-case-of-emergency guard
Cassell -- ditto
OC -- 8 mpg 5th backcourt guy
Nolan -- 2 mpg in blowouts (remember when we used to blow people out?)
Lubin -- 1 mpg in blowouts against cupcakes

That's two possible starters, a few useful but flawed backups, and a bunch of end-of-the-bench guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom