OT: - World Cup | Page 23 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Reaction Score
I really thought the handball in the box was unintentional. PKs

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is just incredible.
I can't believe the abilities of each of these teams, some of the saves made, some of the scoring opportunities generated from thin air.

I truly believe that we are ten years further behind the elite than I thought we were when this tournament began, and then I didn't have a very high opinion of our level of play.

Reaction Score
I can't believe the abilities of each of these teams, some of the saves made, some of the scoring opportunities generated from thin air.

I truly believe that we are ten years further behind the elite than I thought we were when this tournament began, and then I didn't have a very high opinion of our level of play.

Ehhh. While you are not wrong. And it may not be ten years. It might be an eternity. All these teams weren’t looking this good at the start of the tournament. Just look at who Argentina lost to in the first match. By the time the final comes around if you are still in it you are hitting on all cylinders because you have been playing together for a month straight.

Reaction Score
Messi. Psyched he got that last goal too. What a world cup. So many plays in the last ot period.

Reaction Score
Where do you guys rank Messi all-time? Christiano Ronaldo?

Will Mbappé be better than both of them?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

Messi is more technically gifted than either of them. The scary part is that Messi is on the wrong side of his prime. He was at his height between 2010-2016 IMO.

Reaction Score
The level of play was extraordinary
I really thought the handball in the box was unintentional. PKs
If the arm is in a raised position
away from the body you have to call it.
Intent is irrelevant
It’s a tough call but , even though I wanted Argentina to win it was a call he properly made .
If his arms are just at his sides then it’s a no call unless the ref is a jerk .

Reaction Score

Messi is #1, think you could make a case against him before today since he didn't have a World Cup but I think it's cemented now. Ronaldo is probably somewhere in the 4-6 range, I think Pele and Maradona are ahead of him but after that could make a case for him in that next tier

Reaction Score
The level of play was extraordinary

If the arm is in a raised position
away from the body you have to call it.
Intent is irrelevant
It’s a tough call but , even though I wanted Argentina to win it was a call he properly made .
If his arms are just at his sides then it’s a no call unless the ref is a jerk .

Yeah you have to call that.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Messi is #1, think you could make a case against him before today since he didn't have a World Cup but I think it's cemented now. Ronaldo is probably somewhere in the 4-6 range, I think Pele and Maradona are ahead of him but after that could make a case for him in that next tier
Prime Brazilian Ronaldo is better than prime CR7 IMO, and there are others that would be in the conversation including Johan Cruyff, Eusebio, Di Stefano, and Puskas.

Reaction Score

Messi. The debate should be ended. Mbappe is special and he has the next ten years to make his case.

Reaction Score
I’m not a soccer guy, but that was amazing.

Does the US have any players that could have started on either team today.

Reaction Score
Prime Brazilian Ronaldo is better than prime CR7 IMO, and there are others that would be in the conversation including Johan Cruyff, Eusebio, Di Stefano, and Puskas.
Plus Ronaldo was featured in this commercial which I am always reminded of during the Copa do Mundo? Enjoy.

Reaction Score
CR7 is one of the greatest goal scorers, which automatically brings him up in greatest overall conversations. Goal scoring can not be minimized. It is, after all, what wins games. But, that is it. If you are looking at all other qualities of a great soccer player, including scoring. Messi is tops.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Messi is more technically gifted than either of them. The scary part is that Messi is on the wrong side of his prime. He was at his height between 2010-2016 IMO.
They’re all very different players. Mbappe and young CR7 are more athletic. Ronaldo had a 41” vertical and was great in the air. Mbappe is faster than either of them. Messi isn’t just a scorer he’s a hell of a passer. Played great defense today too, you rarely hear that about CR7.

Mbappe will be fun to watch for years. These guys are all amazing.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
CR7 is one of the greatest goal scorers, which automatically brings him up in greatest overall conversations. Goal scoring can not be minimized. It is, after all, what wins games. But, that is it. If you are looking at all other qualities of a great soccer player, including scoring. Messi is tops.
Exactly. His goals (while he is very skilled) are more about power than anything else. Players like Messi, Brazilian Ronaldo, Cruyff, Ronaldinho, Cantona, Bergkamp, etc. were about finesse.

Reaction Score
I’m not a soccer guy, but that was amazing.

Does the US have any players that could have started on either team today.
Yes. France's Dembele (sp?) was horrible. I think I can safely say the US has at least 1 (sic) player. USA is getting there.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Yes. France's Dembele (sp?) was horrible. I think I can safely say the US has at least 1 (sic) player. USA is getting there.
Probably McKennie or Dest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom