OT: - World Cup | Page 22 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Americanized soccer was called "indoor soccer" and had a less of a shelf-life as a "growing sport" than beach volleyball.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Americanized soccer was called "indoor soccer" and had a less of a shelf-life as a "growing sport" than beach volleyball.
I remember that silly excuse for a sport. I don't know why anyone wasted any time watching it. If it weren't for ESPN's infancy and need for something they could pass off as sports content to fill open air time that sport wouldn't have lasted a month and about seven people currently alive would remember it's existence.

If I remember correctly. NASL Americanized the clock in their version of soccer (counted down instead of up). I do not believe however that they stopped the clock during play.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
All pretty bad ideas.
So the flopping and time delay, especially prominant among South American teams, is good/acceptable for the game? I fully agree with Hawk on that one. 80% of the guys that pull this crap are up and sprinting as soon as they are ignored or threatened with the gurney. I have been involved with the game going on 40 years and there is a growing sentiment in Europe to force the federation to install corrective actions on the flopping beyond an isolated yellow warning.

Reaction Score
I remember that silly excuse for a sport. I don't know why anyone wasted any time watching it. If it weren't for ESPN's infancy and need for something they could pass off as sports content to fill open air time that sport wouldn't have lasted a month and about seven people currently alive would remember it's existence.

If I remember correctly. NASL Americanized the clock in their version of soccer (counted down instead of up). I do not believe however that they stopped the clock during play.

It still exists and thrives in some markets. It’s niche within a niche though,

Reaction Score
I actually preferred what they did in this World Cup where they actually added all the time wasted with the grabass to the end and we saw 8-10 minutes of added time or more.

It really cut down on some shenanigans since all that added time can come back to bite you.

Stopping the clock isn’t the only way to accomplish the goal. Americans just need to chill with the rule change suggestion box.
It's a problem that needs to be addressed and any solution goes toward improving the spirit of the game so effective rule changes that improve the game can come from anywhere. I agree with you about all the added time, if that solves it, let's see more of it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It still exists and thrives in some markets. It’s niche within a niche though,
I went to a San Diego Sockers game back in the 80's. It was a tough ticket. The manager wore a tux. I think he ended up with you in KC.

Reaction Score
I am sure France will make a comeback, but would also love seeing them get woodshedded.

Reaction Score
I went to a San Diego Sockers game back in the 80's. It was a tough ticket. The manager wore a tux. I think he ended up with you in KC.

The last KC coach I was aware of was Vlatko Andonovski. He pulled double duty coaching the Comets and the NWSL team. He’s now the coach of the USWNT.

I’ve never been to a game because the are in an arena that’s down by Arrowhead. It’s kind of a haul. It’s still pretty cool that there are coaches and players in a league getting paid.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thanks to the strong 1st half by Argentina, France is currently 12-1. A little bit of a hedge bet, and I'm guaranteed to have a successful World Cup!

Reaction Score
The Hartford Hellions!!

I didn't see the game going this way at all but the first half has been very one sided. I expect to see exciting action the second half.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Hartford Hellions!!

I didn't see the game going this way at all but the first half has been very one sided. I expect to see exciting action the second half.
Well, you got at least the final 15 minutes.

Don't think I've ever seen two goals scored in 1:13 before.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was just throwing stuff out. This final certainly shows the game isn’t broken. It’s been superb. The second goal by Mbappe was stunning. Let’s go France!

Reaction Score
I was just throwing stuff out. This final certainly shows the game isn’t broken. It’s been superb. The second goal by Mbappe was stunning. Let’s go France!

It’s never been broken, Just let it go.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Seriously?
Not in a World Cup that I can recall.

Casual fan I suppose. I'd probably watched more UConn soccer than international prior to 2010. Watched a bit when I lived in Mexico, but when on assignment in Europe I preferred rugby.

Reaction Score
It’s cliche as hell, but this is a text book example of how 2-0 is the worst lead in soccer.

France was asleep and defeated and then boom a penalty. The best time to score is right after you score.

And now we get the game we hoped to see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom