OT: - World Cup | Page 17 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Reaction Score
Scoring goals is hard. After dropping six on Costa Rica, Spain has only scored two goals in the next three games. Morocco had multiple breakaways and biffed all of them.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Spain just missed two good chances. Hit the post with the second.
I don't think it would of counted as he was a hair offside.

Reaction Score
Nothing better in sports than penalty kicks. Bono and Livakovic owned those kickers. Incredibly exciting for Morocco.

Reaction Score
It's like some people have ever watched the world cup before, don't understand the difference between opening round and knockout stage, the significance of the scheduling in the opening round (i.e. who you play and when), nor the history of the WC (it's often won by teams who didn't look great in the opening round, and the teams that looked the best [like Spain this year] go out in the quarters -- which I have no doubt will happen to Spain again this year).
Welp, posted this several days ago. Not surprising.

Maybe rethink ticky-tack?

Reaction Score
Nothing better in sports than penalty kicks. Bono and Livakovic owned those kickers. Incredibly exciting for Morocco.
Exciting match and finish with no horse in the race. Exciting for Morocco for sure. Now on to Portugal and Switzerland

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I

The guy who replaced him has 33 minutes international experience, and then scores a ridiculous goal, and is all over the place creating chances in the first 20 minutes.
Nickname is "The Wizard". Looks like a nice young player. Benfica will sell him on eventually.

Reaction Score
Go Morocco, and I said this for s Korea and Turkey when they advanced to the semi finals several cups ago, and Senegal (quarters) but it is so nice to have some new blood going deep even if much of the rest of the quarter finals, each year, is fairly predictable: (France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Portugal)... this year has seen a number of those either not make it (italy) or bow out really early (Germany, twice in a row, belgium) or fairly early (spain). Just to make things interesting would love to see Brazil and France upset in the quarters and Argentina in their upcoming game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Would Ronaldo be the best player on the US squad?

I'll have to catch the highlights tonight with the lovely and talented Kate Abdo

1670357645487.png

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This reminds of what happened when the USWNT finally sat Abby Wambach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'll have to catch the highlights tonight with the lovely and talented Kate Abdo
Most likely, but when you look at top teams like France, Spain, Argentina, Brazil, etc even 2nd string players would be top 5 or even 3 on the US squad.

Reaction Score
Bono will never have to buy a drink in Morocco again.

I swear the Brit announcer said Spanish team was required to take 1000 penalty kicks for practice. Didn't seem like it.
The Moroccan keeper absolutely ate Spain's lunch. He was completely in their heads. I've never seen anything like it on 3 straight penalty kicks.

Reaction Score
Go Morocco, and I said this for s Korea and Turkey when they advanced to the semi finals several cups ago, and Senegal (quarters) but it is so nice to have some new blood going deep even if much of the rest of the quarter finals, each year, is fairly predictable: (France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Portugal)... this year has seen a number of those either not make it (italy) or bow out really early (Germany, twice in a row, belgium) or fairly early (spain). Just to make things interesting would love to see Brazil and France upset in the quarters and Argentina in their upcoming game.
I agree with most of this but I enjoy watching Brazil so would prefer they keep going.

Reaction Score
This reminds of what happened when the USWNT finally sat Abby Wambach.
The media has been spinning the Messi/Ronoldo potentially meeting in the finals scenario. If it does happen, the spin will be interesting/entertaining if one of the two is riding the pine.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Hopefully this opened Ronaldo's eyes (wishful thinking). Portugal is more dynamic with Rafael Leão or Gonçalo Ramos up top. His days are numbered and he has to realize he is not the player he once was.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

View attachment 81585
Ironically, Ronaldo would be a great striker on the U.S. squad. He'd probably convert some of our crosses. He knows how to finish, it's the high pressure effort he doesn't have any interest in. He wants to be a 9 that rarely even crosses midfield, and he doesn't want to hound defenders.

New coach at ManU implemented a high pressure attacking system and Ronaldo is just a bad fit. He benched two of England's starting 11 (Shaw, Maguire) as well, earlier in the season.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I agree with most of this but I enjoy watching Brazil so would prefer they keep going.
Though I enjoy upsets, it is better for the neutral viewer if Cinderella runs end in the quarterfinals. You want to watch the best in the semis and final. A Final Four of Argentina (Messi), Brazil (Neymar), France (Mbappe), and Portugal (Ronaldo) is the best for neutral viewers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom