OT: - World Cup 2018 | Page 35 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2018

Reaction Score
Watching MLS right after today's WC is just depressing.

We simply can't let our top NT players languish here. It's basically AAA baseball, composed mostly of has-beens, never-weres, and never-will bes. There's no way a top prospect will reach his potential playing here.
MLS needs to "Europize" itself. NO SALARY CAP. If a club wants to spend, let it spend! PRO-REL. I understood not having this at first. You needed every team at the top so that the league could continue to build up interest. Same reasoning for the hard caps and spending rules; they had to keep everyone interested. I truly believe that soccer has grown enough to the point where these safety nets aren't needed anymore. Let the teams spend that want to. If a team is only in it for the money, then let them drop a tier. Let a rising side from USL or something generate even more local interest by going up a group. As I said earlier, the MLS is not the place for our key NT players to be right now. But it could be one day if the right changes were made.

Reaction Score
I also thought the Ref did a good job not blowing the whistle for the floppers.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
from 18 to 18, he was working his arse off

I was just confused because he was playing up top with Suarez, and thought you meant he was playing midfield. So you're effectively saying tracking back. That's all I was getting at.

Reaction Score
MLS needs to "Europize" itself. NO SALARY CAP. If a club wants to spend, let it spend! PRO-REL. I understood not having this at first. You needed every team at the top so that the league could continue to build up interest. Same reasoning for the hard caps and spending rules; they had to keep everyone interested. I truly believe that soccer has grown enough to the point where these safety nets aren't needed anymore. Let the teams spend that want to. If a team is only in it for the money, then let them drop a tier. Let a rising side from USL or something generate even more local interest by going up a group. As I said earlier, the MLS is not the place for our key NT players to be right now. But it could be one day if the right changes were made.

Relegation isn't needed.

It's all about money. More $ = better players and better coaching. If the big markets get relegated, are the sponsors happy?

Why does relegation make you more money?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Relegation isn't needed.

It's all about money. More $ = better players and better coaching. If the big markets get relegated, are the sponsors happy?

Why does relegation make you more money?
Relegation needs to happen. There’s no reason to keep playoffs other than to attract a casual fan or two. Our league looks childish and that we’re not taking it seriously but doing it for shlts and giggles

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
With Messi and Ronaldo out (hopefully Messi has one more), I’m really looking forward to the next generation of superstars. Mbappe, Coutinho, Asensio, Isco, Alli, Kane, are going to do. I’m not sure of the ages of those guys but they are IMO the next wave and will get a ton of exposure. There are others that I could’ve named but I’m not sure their play has been good or if they’re up there in age

Reaction Score
Relegation needs to happen. There’s no reason to keep playoffs other than to attract a casual fan or two. Our league looks childish and that we’re not taking it seriously but doing it for shlts and giggles

That perception stuff doesn't matter if there's more revenue. The top leagues have 5x MLS's revenue.... but half of NFL and MLB. If you make an argument that relegation will drive revenue, I'll hear it, but otherwise you're just copying others for the sake of copying. USA model for other sports gets revenue.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Spain putting on a possession clinic per usual.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I'm not sure the MLS is mature enough for relegation to work. They are still in nascent stage with regards to fan base. It work in Europe, because the fanbases are built in. People are born and raised supporting their clubs, with not many alternatives. They follow their team rabidly even if they are bottom of the barrel.

Americans on the other hand are classic front runners. Poor US professional teams in all sports have enough trouble keeping fan bases following. If teams were 'kicked out' of the league, they simply wouldn't care or even watch. The club would really struggle to survive.

The league and teams aren't established enough.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I was just thinking Spain needs to get another to be up 2-0, so as to avoid an equalizer on a mistake. and there you go.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ally Wagner has a very annoying cadence. Drives me nuts. She offers good commentary, but I can't get past the annoying delivery.

Reaction Score
I like the Fox crew, Lalas gets annoying, but the commentary and analysis is very good.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think I'll retract my unwavering support of pro/rel. My thinking was that there needs to be some kind of system in place to keep teams from tanking, so that owners had to worry about being competitive and not just making a buck, like the issues that have plagued the MLB and NBA at times.

I do think however that the league is advanced enough where we don't need overarching control, especially in regards to money. If a team wants to spend, let it spend. That will attract better players, raise the quality of the team(s), and sell more tickets.

Also, I'd be happy to see the MLS adapt the Aug-May calendar like the rest of the world instead of the current look. I'm sure it's possible to schedule in such a way that there are less games in the north during the colder months while maintaining schedule balance.

Reaction Score
the only way Russia wins this is if they can some how draw another PK. Otherwise they will never get enough possession to score.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
the only way Russia wins this is if they can some how draw another PK. Otherwise they will never get enough possession to score.

That's the strategy it seems. Spain doing exactly what Russia wants. Russia happy to sit and let Spain pass around the back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom