Woodard Slip | The Boneyard

Woodard Slip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Imagine if Boat slipped late in the game and they called travel. Sure I thought he traveled but that play did not bother me, even if we would have lost.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Re-watching the game. With 30 seconds left, how was that not called a travel? Thank god it didn´t come back to bite us but imagine if that was the difference in the game.

That was ridiculous. Confirmed to me that the refs were doing what they could for the AAC to get Tulsa in.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Imagine if Boat slipped late in the game and they called travel. Sure I thought he traveled but that play did not bother me, even if we would have lost.
But if he had slipped like that, it would have been a travel. Seemed a pretty easy call, I thought.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A guy's butt hitting the ground with the ball in his hands is one of the easiest calls a ref can make. It is a travel in the NBA, it is a travel in NCAA division 1, it is a travel in a 3rd grade rec game. It is a travel. Period.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Almost as weird as the ref in the Cinci games who called DHam and one other player stepping out of bounds because they ran behind the base line going side to side and then received the ball in bounds.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
A guy's butt hitting the ground with the ball in his hands is one of the easiest calls a ref can make. It is a travel in the NBA, it is a travel in NCAA division 1, it is a travel in a 3rd grade rec game. It is a travel. Period.
Not in the AAC, tho.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
And neither Doris nor whasisname made an issue of it. This is one of those kind of instances where the commn logic is "at that point in a close game, the ref can't make that call and affect the outcome."

Bullexcrement! I've never understood this logic (or lack thereof). NOT making the call on an obvious infraction has equal bearing on the possible outcome of the game as making it.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
And neither Doris nor whasisname made an issue of it. This is one of those kind of instances where the commn logic is "at that point in a close game, the ref can't make that call and affect the outcome."

Bullexcrement! I've never understood this logic (or lack thereof). NOT making the call on an obvious infraction has equal bearing on the possible outcome of the game as making it.

Kinda reminded me of Caupain's six steps through the lane in the closing minutes of Friday's game that went uncalled and not acknowledges by Elmore or Patrick. We ended up getting the ball back on a shot clock violation after a mad scramble, so no real impact to the game, but just as obvious from my living room.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
That was crazy how they didnt make that call... But 1h they had no problem blowing their whistle.. Had Rock on a soft foul when he played great defense and stayed with the switch.. They called brimah on a softy in the paint after the ball already hit the rim and uconn got the rebound....We had hamilton get called over the back when he came clean through the lane for the board but I expect bad calls in games but usually you get bad calls both ways...

Reaction Score
He looked like a wide reciever diving into the endzone. Terrible call.

Reaction Score
Almost as weird as the ref in the Cinci games who called DHam and one other player stepping out of bounds because they ran behind the base line going side to side and then received the ball in bounds.

This is one of those rules they said they are trying to emphasize this year. I've seen it called a few times. The rule goes something like this: you can't purposely run out of bounds in order to try and get open and then receive the ball shortly thereafter. I've heard other announcers explain it but in the Cinci game the announcers were clueless (no surprise there).

Reaction Score
This is one of those rules they said they are trying to emphasize this year. I've seen it called a few times. The rule goes something like this: you can't purposely run out of bounds in order to try and get open and then receive the ball shortly thereafter. I've heard other announcers explain it but in the Cinci game the announcers were clueless (no surprise there).
I think the rule is "...and be the next person to receive the ball" or something. It's the same rule that stops you from jumping out of bounds to save the ball and grabbing it yourself.

Reaction Score
The non-travel call may have been as bad an important call/non-call as I remember seeing, in that there is literally nothing that the refs might have seen or not seen that explains swallowing the whistle. Literally, I can't even hypothesize what they thought they saw that caused them to not call that.

Reaction Score
They officiating was horrible. The non call on the travel was the lowlight.

The foul calls were totally absurd, and we didn't even get any make up calls or gimmies as they usually do for their indiscretions

Reaction Score
Doris Burke said during the replay that Woodard lost control of the ball as he went to the ground. I'm pretty sure he maintained possesion while going to the floor ... just a terrible call.

Reaction Score
I was shocked. He slid 3 feet with the ball in his hands. It was completely clear.

The fact that the announcers didn't really even mention it (despite saying the fans were upset and expecting a travel call), is equally ridiculous.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I thought it was a far more egregious officiating error than the call against Boat for reaching out and hitting Woodard (Or was it Harrison?) on the hip as he was shooting that little floater. Doris went on about that for two solid minutes, and yes, it was a harmless touch, but the call wasn't anywhere near as atrocious as the non-call on the slip and slide.

Reaction Score
The AAC officiating has been awful all season long. Even when we were back in the Big East, we complained about the officiating. But this season there have been some calls and missed calls that are complete headscratchers such as that missed travel call.

I think officiating in general in college basketball is pretty bad. I was watching some highlights the other day, and there were back to back plays where some p5 player traveled in both highlights where they counted the baskets. One was on a break away and the other was a post up move where the player shuffled his feet taking 4 to 5 steps. It's bad enough that they missed the calls but its a head scratcher that they include them as highlights as if the player made some fantastic play.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
The thing is the 3 referees doing yesterday's game (Mike Roberts, Brian O'Connell, Michael Stephens) used to do a ton of Big East games back in the day and are all considered top tier refs (unlike the 3 jokers from Friday's game). It's not really an AAC problem because the AAC gets the same refs the ACC, Big 10, Big East, etc. gets for the most part. The real problem is college officiating is just plain bad. These guys are just not consistent enough to be good at their jobs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The AAC officiating has been awful all season long. Even when we were back in the Big East, we complained about the officiating. But this season there have been some calls and missed calls that are complete headscratchers such as that missed travel call.

I think officiating in general in college basketball is pretty bad. I was watching some highlights the other day, and there were back to back plays where some p5 player traveled in both highlights where they counted the baskets. One was on a break away and the other was a post up move where the player shuffled his feet taking 4 to 5 steps. It's bad enough that they missed the calls but its a head scratcher that they include them as highlights as if the player made some fantastic play.

These were not the usual terrible AAC officials. Brian O'Connell did the Big East championship Saturday night, had 3 NCAA tourney games last year and did the NIT Final Four.

Really no excuse for him and his crew yesterday they were pretty bad.

Reaction Score
It has to be called otherwise players could "slip" from one end f the floor to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom