11 is way better than 2..!! :)
- Apr 1, 2013
- Reaction Score
UConn is now 12 games into the 2014-2015 season and riding a 10 game win streak. Many Huskies are performing as expected, while a few are providing some wonderful surprises. Consider the following:
1. Kia Nurse has been just what the doctor ordered to fix the post Hartley/Dolson blues. She is averaging 25.8 minutes per game and scoring 13.4 points every time she plays (161 pts total). Kia is shooting 43% from 3 pt range (18-42) and 58% overall. It is no accident she has been to the foul line 48 times, 2nd only to Stewie’s 49. Despite that scorer mentality, she has 44 assists vs only 18 turnovers.
2. Even with tough games against Stanford, Notre Dame and Duke, UConn is averaging 89.8 points per game (1,077 total in 12 games). The last two years were 82 pt averages. Scoring, as usual, is led by Stewie w/ 208. But after that, BALANCE is the key. Morgan, KML & Nurse have 163, 162 & 161. MoJeff is coming on strong w/ 136. Who ya gonna cover..??
3. Kiah Stokes has settled comfortably into the role of “instant defense.” Her 44 blocks and 96 rebounds lead the team despite only 236 minutes on the hard court. Many opponents have given up driving the lane w/ Stokes in the game. Add in 71 pts (6 per game), 12 assists and 7 steals and compare that to only 18 fouls & just 9 turnovers. Kiah is playing solid..!
4. Gabby Williams has taken to the frontcourt like a Husky to snow & is now “Kiah Jr.” In just 167 minutes (15 per game) she has 52 rebounds, 16 steals, 14 assists and 5 blocks. Add in 85 points on 65% shooting from the field and that is 172 positive contributions or more than one per minute of play. Who expected that..!!
5. KML is closing in on the UConn record for 3 pt field goals w/ 315. She is just 3 behind D.T. But her game is much more than just 3’s w/ 55 rebounds, 31 assists, 20 steals and the highest per game average for minutes at 31.2 per game. Look for the 3 pt record to fall at Madison Square Garden on Sunday.
6. Morgan Tuck is playing like the #1 prospect she was in high school before injuries set he back. She is 2nd in scoring (163 pts), 3rd in rebounds (58), 2nd in made baskets (67) and has 34 assists (3rd) and 20 steals. She is shooting 64% from inside the 3 pt arc and 80% from the charity stripe. Tuck does it all well..!!
7. Larceny is up..! With 138 steals in just 12 games, UConn is averaging 11.5 per game. Last year’s average was less than 9.4 per game. MoJeff leads w/ 32, but Nurse, KML and Stewie are right behind w/ 22, 20 & 19. Gabby has an incredible 16 in half the playing time..!!
8. UConn has 244 assists on 403 made baskets or 60.5%. MoJeff leads, of course, w/ 55, but the next four players (Nurse, Tuck, Stewie & KML) have 44, 34, 32 & 31. Share and share alike..
9. Three point shooting is up this season w/ 105 made 3’s. With 269 attempts, that is a shooting average of 39% vs 37% last year. KML is scorching the nets at 51% (38 for 75). After her, BALANCE again w/ Nurse, Stewie, Jefferson and Chong at 18, 15, 15 & 13 made three’s.
10. UConn has given up only 627 points so far this season. Interestingly, opponents have scored 308 in 1st half and 308 in 2nd half. (11 in overtime) After 712 shot attempts, opponents are hitting just 32.4%, including 81 that were blocked. UConn has tried 763 shots and made 52.8% and had only 23 blocked. Can’t win if they don’t go in…
P.S. – Happy New Year & see everyone at MSG..!!