Women's Olympic soccer: USA vs France (spoiler alert) | The Boneyard

Women's Olympic soccer: USA vs France (spoiler alert)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
I have been "on the road" all day today. I thought when I got home there would be a fair amount of discussion here on the "Yard" about the opening of the Olympic Soccer Tournament. Yes, the soccer matches began two days before the Opening Ceremonies.

USA played France 400 miles north of London in Glasgow, Scotland. France had won 17 consecutive matches over the past year as they prepared for the Olympics. France is a very good team.

France scored the first two goals -- in the first 18 minutes. But Team USA bounced back.
Abby Wambach scored a beautiful header off a Rapinoe corner kick. Then Alex Morgan out ran the defense to play a long ball (from goalie, Hope Solo) on the first bounce . Alex chipped it just over the goalie's reach. Carli Lloyd then put a 25 yard rocket in the top left corner for the lead goal. Alex Morgan then scored the fourth goal after a terrific run from midfield to the goal line -- where she got a perfect pass across the net from Tobin Heath. If you don't know this team well, Alex Morgan is REALLY FAST. She may well be the fastest player in the tournament. She is the 2nd youngest player on the US Team at age 23. She has now scored 21 goals in 17 games this year.

France is the toughest team in USA's group. So --- our American girls should be playing in a lot more games over the next few weeks.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I If you don't know this team well, Alex Morgan is REALLY FAST. She may well be the fastest player in the tournament.
She is really fast, but I'm not sure she is even the fastest on her team. Maybe?? Rampone, Shilling (now, was Rodriguez) and Leroux are very close.

I had heard at one point Rampone was still the fastest. But that was before Leroux joined.

Reaction Score
She is really fast, but I'm not sure she is even the fastest on her team. Maybe?? Rampone, Shilling (now, was Rodriguez) and Leroux are very close.

I had heard at one point Rampone was still the fastest. But that was before Leroux joined.

She is fast, but she can run and stay connected to the ball, and her flick-on for that second goal showed excellent body control...looks like a complete player that better hit the weight room because she's going to draw a lot of attention!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She is fast, but she can run and stay connected to the ball, and her flick-on for that second goal showed excellent body control...looks like a complete player that better hit the weight room because she's going to draw a lot of attention!
Agree, she's a very good player. She's got the looks to become the "face" of USWNT also. Probably see a lot of her over the next few years.

Although Rapinoe is probably my favorite player on the team now. (that they won't let Chalupny play)

Reaction Score
Agree, she's a very good player. She's got the looks to become the "face" of USWNT also. Probably see a lot of her over the next few years.

Although Rapinoe is probably my favorite player on the team now. (that they won't let Chalupny play)

I hope so! ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
for those of you who follow soccer - USA, China, and who else have a good shot at the gold? France?

Reaction Score

I'd like to transfuse some of Rapinoe's crisp passing and strength on the ball to the rest of the team. Agonizing waiting for some of those balls to arrive!

Reaction Score
for those of you who follow soccer - USA, China, and who else have a good shot at the gold? France?

China did not make the field - and they would not be anywhere close to a favorite if they had. Their current team is a shell of what they used to be. They also failed to qualify for last year's World Cup - being beaten out by Japan, North Korea, and Australia for the three Asian spots.

With Germany also having failed to qualify, the two heavy favorites are the U.S. and Brazil - who unfortunately are slated to meet in the semis. On the other side of the draw, Japan is the best bet to advance to the championship game, with Sweden or France also having some chance.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'd like to transfuse some of Rapinoe's crisp passing and strength on the ball to the rest of the team. Agonizing waiting for some of those balls to arrive!

After watching lots of EPL/CL they do at times seem very naive. And like most Americans they don't have great touches.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
China did not make the field - and they would not be anywhere close to a favorite if they had. Their current team is a shell of what they used to be. They also failed to qualify for last year's World Cup - being beaten out by Japan, North Korea, and Australia for the three Asian spots.

With Germany also having failed to qualify, the two heavy favorites are the U.S. and Brazil - who unfortunately are slated to meet in the semis. On the other side of the draw, Japan is the best bet to advance to the championship game, with Sweden or France also having some chance.

Agreed.

Reaction Score
After watching lots of EPL/CL they do at times seem very naive. And like most Americans they don't have great touches.

And you are excluding Clint from that comment, I hope! ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

ah ok thanks. i had no idea China had fallen so far. too bad about USA and Brazil.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

Agree with you on Rapinoe. She is by far the best American player at one-v-one mid-field ball control; and she is the best American mid-field passer. Sundhage didn't play Rapinoe enough at the World Championships last year.

I seldom miss a USA Women's soccer game. I have felt for the past two years that the American offense is far more organized and dangerous when Rapinoe is playing somewhere on the mid-field line.

Reaction Score
Agree with you on Rapinoe. She is by far the best American player at one-v-one mid-field ball control; and she is the best American mid-field passer. Sundhage didn't play Rapinoe enough at the World Championships last year.

I seldom miss a USA Women's soccer game. I have felt for the past two years that the American offense is far more organized and dangerous when Rapinoe is playing somewhere on the mid-field line.

Olde, but observant...! ;)

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Olde, but observant...! ;)

Thanks, One Trick>

I have had a long love affair with the game of soccer. I played and coached high school, college, and semi pro soccer. Started playing at age 10 (1945); and retired at age 35 (1970). Coached from 1956-1985. I was the co-founder of the first summer soccer league in Northern New York State and Vermont.

A historical tidbit: In 1952, when I was a college freshman, I designed (and had custom built by Brooks Shoe Company in Boston) the first soft toe, low cut soccer shoe made in America.

Reaction Score
Thanks, One Trick>

I have had a long love affair with the game of soccer. I played and coached high school, college, and semi pro soccer. Started playing at age 10 (1945); and retired at age 35 (1970). Coached from 1956-1985. I was the co-founder of the first summer soccer league in Northern New York State and Vermont.

A historical tidbit: In 1952, when I was a college freshman, I designed (and had custom built by Brooks Shoe Company in Boston) the first soft toe, low cut soccer shoe made in America.

I am an olde soccer buff myself...played it as a club sport at SMU...managed to break my leg trying my first and last bicycle kick! :oops: I have a lot of nephews that excel at it though! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom