Women's Basketball HOF in trouble? | The Boneyard

Women's Basketball HOF in trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geez, don't know what happened to the link. See Biff's post further down in this thread.

Reaction Score
Next time I'm on my way to Pigeon Forge I'll have to stop in for a look-see.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
I enjoyed my trip down there very much. Hotel right next door, some great restaurants on the river about a 10 minute walk.

100% dedicated to women's basketball. Certainly nothing like it anywhere in the country. It would be great if they can turn this around and start increasing donations and attendance. They dont have a large staff but Dana Hart is a great person that heads it.

As far as something else in Knoxville in trouble.

I wont be putting any smiley faces on this post, even in jest.

If it doesn't make it, it is sad thing for women's basketball that it cant even keep its own museum going.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I enjoyed my trip down there very much. Hotel right next door, some great restaurants on the river about a 10 minute walk.

100% dedicated to women's basketball. Certainly nothing like it anywhere in the country. It would be great if they can turn this around and start increasing donations and attendance. They dont have a large staff but Dana Hart is a great person that heads it.

As far as something else in Knoxville in trouble.

I wont be putting any smiley faces on this post, even in jest.

If it doesn't make it, it is sad thing for women's basketball that it cant even keep its own museum going.

Nice post. Thanks! I'd love to go see it.

AllAmerRedHeads

Reaction Score
I know more than a few that have donated their most prized artifacts from their playing days to the WBHOF.

It was not an easy decision because they could have passed them along to family members.

Yet they believe so strongly in womens basketball and preserving the history, they wanted others to be able to share in some of what they did.

I'm a UConn fan for sure.

Yet with Pat, CPTV and troubles at the WBHOF, it has been a bit somber for me in many ways.

I do wish Tenn the best in helping this institution carry on and hope sponsors and donations can help it happen.

Yet, the reality is that many museums face hard times. Not sure how many, but many do not make $. They rely on grants, donations, etc.

While years ago I was upset that the wbhof was going to be in Tn, I came to realize and appreciate that there were some people in organizations down there that had a vision that womens basketball could become so popular, this endeavor was worth all of the risks.

Now, I tip my hat to them and hope the game can and will continue to grow and the WBHOF will be the destination for many of wbb fans will put on their bucket list to visit

Reaction Score
Maybe it is in the wrong location? I know some people think women's basketball revolves around Summitt and TN but remember that no one cared until UConn came on the scene. That doesn't mean CT is where it should be but that TN just may not be. Maybe it woud do better in CA or CO, for example.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Maybe it is in the wrong location? I know some people think women's basketball revolves around Summitt and TN but remember that no one cared until UConn came on the scene. That doesn't mean CT is where it should be but that TN just may not be. Maybe it woud do better in CA or CO, for example.

You are saying that nobody cared about women's basketball until UCONN came along? Come now! UCONN is a great program and has certainly added to the popularity of the sport but I know MANY women's basketball fans who were fans before UCONN started to dominate and will continue to be fans when the next great program comes along.

I understand rivalries but to imply that Pat was not the biggest influence in bringing women's basketball into the mainstream is simply ludicrous.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I know more than a few that have donated their most prized artifacts from their playing days to the WBHOF.

It was not an easy decision because they could have passed them along to family members.

Yet they believe so strongly in womens basketball and preserving the history, they wanted others to be able to share in some of what they did.

I'm a UConn fan for sure.

Yet with Pat, CPTV and troubles at the WBHOF, it has been a bit somber for me in many ways.

I do wish Tenn the best in helping this institution carry on and hope sponsors and donations can help it happen.

Yet, the reality is that many museums face hard times. Not sure how many, but many do not make $. They rely on grants, donations, etc.

While years ago I was upset that the wbhof was going to be in Tn, I came to realize and appreciate that there were some people in organizations down there that had a vision that womens basketball could become so popular, this endeavor was worth all of the risks.

Now, I tip my hat to them and hope the game can and will continue to grow and the WBHOF will be the destination for many of wbb fans will put on their bucket list to visit

AARH, thank you for the thoughtful post. I have loved women's basketball for many, many years. I wish I could sit down with you and discuss the history of the sport and those who influenced it.

AllAmerRedHeads

Reaction Score
I certainly don't know it all and there are others than are more knowledgable than myself. While records and stats maybe what get my attention on a topic, it becomes so much more than that for me.

Its not just the score on the court. It is the story of the human spirit. What these women did to simply play a game of basketball while men took it for granted.

I've talked with players that flew in open cockpit planes to attend games,played the nightPearl Harbor was attacked. Women that played the 3 zone, halfcourt and full court games in their careers.

It has been a great journey. We hope 60 or more All American Red Heads will be attending their enshrinement into Naismith this fall

Reaction Score
You are saying that nobody cared about women's basketball until UCONN came along? Come now! UCONN is a great program and has certainly added to the popularity of the sport but I know MANY women's basketball fans who were fans before UCONN started to dominate and will continue to be fans when the next great program comes along.

I understand rivalries but to imply that Pat was not the biggest influence in bringing women's basketball into the mainstream is simply ludicrous.

Let me clarify what I tried to say. Obviously SOMEONE cared but, no, Pat was NOT the biggest influence in briging women's basketball into the mainstream. At least, not by herself nor before Geno arrived. I'm not sure I would say UConn basketball or Geno were the biggest influence but the exposure and popularity of the game skyrocketed once UConn became relevant within the game itself. You saying it is ludicrous doesn't make it so and I love it when internet wannabe geniuses use such tactics. Get over yourself. From where I was sitting, and observing the sports landscape, women's basketball took a HUGE step forward when Geno arrived at UConn and started producing champions. The vast majority of sports fans/media had no clue what was going on nor did they care. Pat's part in that huge step may have been that she was the incumbant Geno was battling...she was the other side of the major rivalry and maybe it was the rivalry itself, not Geno or UConn, that caused women's basketball to cross the threshold into sports conciousness. Either way, it wasn't Pat or TN by itself. Sorry if the truth hurts and Pat's situation won't make me see it differently. I feel bad for her but that doesn't change history.

If I were to locate a HOF, I would look where the largest number of D1 recruits originate from. Maybe that still is Nashville...maybe not.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Let me clarify what I tried to say. Obviously SOMEONE cared but, no, Pat was NOT the biggest influence in briging women's basketball into the mainstream. At least, not by herself nor before Geno arrived. I'm not sure I would say UConn basketball or Geno were the biggest influence but the exposure and popularity of the game skyrocketed once UConn became relevant within the game itself. You saying it is ludicrous doesn't make it so and I love it when internet wannabe geniuses use such tactics. Get over yourself. From where I was sitting, and observing the sports landscape, women's basketball took a HUGE step forward when Geno arrived at UConn and started producing champions. The vast majority of sports fans/media had no clue what was going on nor did they care. Pat's part in that huge step may have been that she was the incumbant Geno was battling...she was the other side of the major rivalry and maybe it was the rivalry itself, not Geno or UConn, that caused women's basketball to cross the threshold into sports conciousness. Either way, it wasn't Pat or TN by itself. Sorry if the truth hurts and Pat's situation won't make me see it differently. I feel bad for her but that doesn't change history.

If I were to locate a HOF, I would look where the largest number of D1 recruits originate from. Maybe that still is Nashville...maybe not.

I am not a Tennessee fan...I am a Baylor fan. Maybe from the UCONN perspective UCONN had the biggest influence on women's basketball. Pat traveled all over the country and played anyone, anywhere, when nobody else would. This has nothing to do with her medical condition. I have great respect for Geno and the UCONN program but Pat was the biggest influence in the game and is the main reason that it is where it is today. Just the opinion of a person who watched the women's game evolve for the past 40 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom