Women in Music | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Women in Music

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Rare Silk from Boulder, Colorado, active and popular in late 70's through late 80's:

Reaction Score
Brenda Holloway is a forgotten Motown artist who should have been a star. She had it all, looks, talent and charisma but Gordy was pushing Diana Ross. It's alleged that he gave Ross Holloway's recordings to study phrasings, etc. Supposedly, he had her do a whole album that Ross then copied and didn't release Holloway's version. Here she is doing her one hit, Smokey Robinson's When I'm Gone. As a kid, I was obsessed with her voice at the 1:50 mark when the music stops and she sings "and I just can't take it".

UHF

Reaction Score
Group = Peanut Butter Conspiracy.
Song = It's A Happening Thing.
Year = 1967.
Vocalist = Barbara "Sandi" Robison.

Reaction Score
Natalie Cole won a 1976 Grammy for R&B snapping Aretha Franklin's record. This is a song from her record that was a hit single and had actual scat singing on it.

Reaction Score
Brenda Holloway is a forgotten Motown artist who should have been a star. She had it all, looks, talent and charisma but Gordy was pushing Diana Ross. It's alleged that he gave Ross Holloway's recordings to study phrasings, etc. Supposedly, he had her do a whole album that Ross then copied and didn't release Holloway's version. Here she is doing her one hit, Smokey Robinson's When I'm Gone. As a kid, I was obsessed with her voice at the 1:50 mark when the music stops and she sings "and I just can't take it".

Westside- have to comment on Ms. Holloway - damn, you are so right- she indeed has it all....good song, catchy, and she obviously has great vocal talents. What a horrible shame Gordy screwed her over......ugh. I'm going to have to research her some more. Thanks...!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom