Woj: Michigan's John Beilein to the Cleveland Cavs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Woj: Michigan's John Beilein to the Cleveland Cavs

Reaction Score
He’s 60. Why not give it a shot for double your pay? At least he’ll have given it a shot.

He’s made 2 finals in college, he can always get another P5 job if this goes poorly.

He's going to be 68-70 if he gets fired does he really want another P5 job? Maybe but as I said I agree with poly he's getting double his pay and who cares, he can just walk away with lots of cash if it doesn't work out. He'll be fine with getting fired in 2-3 years he would've worked harder at UM.

Reaction Score
Wow, good for him and cool to see a guy his age get his first shot in the NBA, but bummer that one of my favorite college basketball coaches won't be around next year. One of the best.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
He's going to be 68-70 if he gets fired does he really want another P5 job? Maybe but as I said I agree with poly he's getting double his pay and who cares, he can just walk away with lots of cash if it doesn't work out. He'll be fine with getting fired in 2-3 years he would've worked harder at UM.

I’m fine with him taking one last shot.

Why not? At least you can say you gave it a shot and we’re an nba head coach. He had nothing left to prove at Michigan.

Reaction Score
If Michigan swoops in and steals away Oats (ala Beard UNLV/Texas Tech), does that make RJ Cole ours or make Michigan our competition, thus delaying his decision?

Reaction Score
9 posts in after OP and nary a mention of who Warde Manuel will try to hire... youse guys are slipping.
If I were a Michigan fan, I would be real nervous about who Manuel hires as he has not hired many coaches and none of them have been a success. At Buffalo, he hired two football coaches: Turner Gill (20-30) and Jeff Quinn (20-36) and did not hire a men's basketball coach during his time, although the men's basketball coach was fired the year after he left. At UConn, he hired Bob Diaco and Kevin Ollie (he kind of hired Ollie as he really had no choice). Diaco was a disaster and Ollie won a national championship and then his career headed south. At Michigan, he has not hired a head men's or women's basketball coach or a head football coach. What is most surprising is he has only hired 3 football coaches and 1 men's basketball coach in 15 years as an AD.

Reaction Score
At UConn, he hired Bob Diaco and Kevin Ollie . . .
Bwahahahoehhahahahehehahe hee heee tee hee.
It's remarkable how abysmal that looks in the rear view mirror. Ha ha. Oh my.

Reaction Score
I'm voting that he took this massive contract from the cavs to get fired and retire, nothing else makes much sense.

Beilein is widely considered one of if not the only clean coach out there. I think there's a very good chance he just got tired of swimming upstream. Maybe he hoped the FBI stuff would change things, and the fact that it hasn't made him more amenable to an offer to leave.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
At UConn, he hired Bob Diaco and Kevin Ollie

He had zero say in the KO hiring - JC hired KO as HC; McHugh and co. endorsed it hands down
Diaco - yeah that's on him

As far as Beilein is concerned - maybe he looks at the NBA as a challenge and feels physically and mentally up to it. Why not take the money and run with it. It's a huge chunk of change
I did not see this coming but the best to him
The UMichigan coaching decision process is going to be fun to watch - it's time for Warde to finally earn his money or be looking for a new job - probably the biggest decision in his lifetime to date - career wise

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After asking Tom Izzy 9 times, Gregory found another number in Michigan.

the Q

Reaction Score
Didn't he almost retire a few years ago?

He also almost took the pistons job last year, didn’t he?

Reaction Score
Will awards be on the phone to a former UConn coach who led the Huskies to a National Championship in only his second year?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Manuel recently hired somebody as a "gymnastics consultant" who was directly tied to the Larry Nassar scandal. The fallout was so bad he was forced to fire that person. It doesn't appear that his judgment has improved at all since the disasterous Bobby Fiasco hire.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Wow, Michigan has like a top 5 team returning too. Who ever gets this job walks into a gold mine.

the Q

Reaction Score
Wow, Michigan has like a top 5 team returning too. Who ever gets this job walks into a gold mine.

Which is why I’m guessing it’s Donovan.

Too good of a gig to pass up when his seat is hot

Reaction Score
Should we start predicting which school Beilein will be coaching in 3 years? Or will he just retire after Cleveland fires him?
Leonard Hamilton pulled this off (college to pro and back) a few years ago. I think Beilein may be too old to reap all the benefits.

Reaction Score
I lived with a Michigan alum for 18 months. Pretty good roomie 'cept during the games. He and his Michigan alum friends would go nuts during bball and fball games. They were happy with Beilein and that is before the recent national runners up. I am sure he has been thrilled recently. The Kentucky game a few years back...eh, not so much.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I lived with a Michigan alum for 18 months. Pretty good roomie 'cept during the games. He and his Michigan alum friends would go nuts during bball and fball games. They were happy with the Beilein and that is before the recent national runners up. I am sure he has been thrilled recently. The Kentucky game a few years back...eh, not so much.

I once had an Arkansas roomie. Football season was brutal. Win or lose, the house got destroyed every game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom