WNIT 2021 = 32 teams [merged thread] | Page 7 | The Boneyard

WNIT 2021 = 32 teams [merged thread]

Reaction Score
I get why the WNIT put in a consolation game but the concept never appealed to me. FIBA has nice format which allows most teams to play more than one game but it must be costly.

Reaction Score
Ladies, know your place. The sports writers at the Boulder Daily Camera do. When the Colorado men’s basketball team won in the first round of the NCAA tournament, it warranted a front page lead-in, followed by huge headlines and multiple stories on the first page of the sports section. Meanwhile if you kept turning pages and turning pages and put on your reading glasses, you would discover the Colorado women’s team not only won their SECOND game in the WNIT, they did so by beating former long time and much hated rival Nebraska. Yes, the NCAA is the bigger tourney but more importantly both Colorado teams are still playing, unlike most teams in the nation. That front page lead-in should have been headlined Buffs Men and Women Advance with both victories covered on first page of sports section. No wonder two of the top recent women high school players whose high schools are within 30 miles of Boulder are playing or heading to Stanford (which, incidentially, Colorado beat or has played extremely close two years in a row).

it is also worth noting that Colorado’s two wins boost the PAC-12 as the toughest women’s bb conference.

Reaction Score
Nice array of WNIT games today between comparable teams. Stark contrast to the NCAA as it still wades through the unbalanced part of the tournament.

Reaction Score
Without Cinderella Cal Baptist playing, the WNIT loses a lot of appeal. But the play of Nancy Mulkey makes the Rice - Delaware contest interesting. Rice is favored by 2 in no little part because they have an Ogwumike on their sideline.

Reaction Score
I am more familiar with the ACC than any other conference but it was my belief going in that 3 of those teams didn't belong in the NCAAT (N.C., Wake Forest,and FSU) I would much rather have seen Rice, Houston, and Delaware get in.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am more familiar with the ACC than any other conference but it was my belief going in that 3 of those teams didn't belong in the NCAAT (N.C., Wake Forest,and FSU) I would much rather have seen Rice, Houston, and Delaware get in.
While I think generally P5 conference mediocre teams are stronger than very good but not conference winning lower conferences, I tend to agree. I would rather see a team that went 14-2 or 13-3 and plays good basketball be rewarded over a team that struggled to 8-8 or 9-7 in a P5 - neither are getting to the final four, neither are likely to get to the second weekend. but do we really need to see 8 ACC teams, two of which had losing conference records, or a scintillating battle between the 8th ranked ACC power and the 7 ranked SEC power? With conferences now so big that they mostly play unbalanced schedules, you can now have a distortedly good conference record because you only had to play a single game against a couple of the conference powers while getting two each against the cellar dwellers. Alabama for example played two with SC, but only one each with TA&M, UGA, KY, and TN which likely kept them above .500.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I live near Collierville so I plan on checking the game out tomorrow. Ole miss lost close game after close game in the SEC and Rice is a tournament caliber team.

Reaction Score
While I think generally P5 conference mediocre teams are stronger than very good but not conference winning lower conferences, I tend to agree. I would rather see a team that went 14-2 or 13-3 and plays good basketball be rewarded over a team that struggled to 8-8 or 9-7 in a P5 - neither are getting to the final four, neither are likely to get to the second weekend. but do we really need to see 8 ACC teams, two of which had losing conference records, or a scintillating battle between the 8th ranked ACC power and the 7 ranked SEC power? With conferences now so big that they mostly play unbalanced schedules, you can now have a distortedly good conference record because you only had to play a single game against a couple of the conference powers while getting two each against the cellar dwellers. Alabama for example played two with SC, but only one each with TA&M, UGA, KY, and TN which likely kept them above .500.
Couldn't agree more, and I'm not just saying that because I'm in Miami!

Reaction Score
And I see Armintie Herrington is on the bench for Old Miss. She was a delight to watch in the WNBA. I saw her listed as 5’9” but that always seemed way generous...

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
At the game. Rice is my #2 team and we look good so far...minus lazy outlet passes.

I wonder how Mulkey would have developed under Geno’s system. She seems well coached, but takes lots of stamina breaks.

Reaction Score
Rice wins 71 - 58!!!!!

Stats for the centers are superb. Mulkey: 19 pts, 12 boards, 7 blocks. Austin: 25 pts, 9 boards, 5 blocks.

Ole Miss continued cold all game at 30% but forced 24 Rice turnovers. Rice held their own on the boards and shot 50% with 18 assists on 25 made baskets.

The Cinderella story lives on...

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Both centers were great. The difference was the guard play. Rice had guards that could make plays, Ole Miss not so much.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Fantastic win for Rice. Yet another win for the city of Houston. Represent.

What more can be said about the SEC. Clowns Drowning in their dirty money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom