WNIT 2021 = 32 teams [merged thread] | The Boneyard

WNIT 2021 = 32 teams [merged thread]

Reaction Score
4 regionals with 8 teams each
Rockford IL, Memphis, Charlotte, Fort Worth

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
interesting... Charlotte's site will be held at an arena..... Rockford at a glorified Rec Center... Fort Worth something similar.. and Memphis at a high school gym. :confused:

Reaction Score
WNIT has provided no info on how teams will be selected other than to say that there will be "some" auto bids.

There are 11* regular season champs who didn't win their conference tournament and wont be invited to the NCAAs. I hope they get auto-bids, and the other 21 could be at-large.

*11 for now, but could get as high as 15
Rice, Maine, Delaware, IUPUI, Dayton, Bowling Green, New Mexico, UT-Martin, Bucknell, Samford, LA-Lafayette

Reaction Score
So I wonder if either the Grand Canyon Antelopes or the ASU Sun Devils might make the 32 team field?

The 2021 event will select 32 total teams. All games will be played at pre-determined sites so that the majority of teams can bus to a site and play 2-3 games with one road trip. Each team will be guaranteed to play 2 games at each site. There will be an 8-team championship bracket at each location, and a 4-team consolation bracket at each site.

2021 Dates
The 32-team field will be announced late Monday evening, March 15, 2021, after the NCAA Tournament is released. The first round will kick off Friday, March 19.
  • Selection - Monday, March 15, 2021
  • Rounds 1-3: March 19-23
  • Semifinals/Championship: March 27/29
Selection Procedures/Selection Day
The WNIT committee will choose 32 teams for the Postseason WNIT. The field will consist of a to-be-determined number of automatic berths. These berths will only be awarded to conference regular-season. The remaining berths in the WNIT field will be awarded to at-large teams.

Selecting Teams: At-large Berths
The remaining team slots in the Postseason WNIT will be filled by the top teams available. Any team from Division I will be considered.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
So I wonder if either the Grand Canyon Antelopes or the ASU Sun Devils might make the 32 team field?

The 2021 event will select 32 total teams. All games will be played at pre-determined sites so that the majority of teams can bus to a site and play 2-3 games with one road trip. Each team will be guaranteed to play 2 games at each site. There will be an 8-team championship bracket at each location, and a 4-team consolation bracket at each site.

2021 Dates
The 32-team field will be announced late Monday evening, March 15, 2021, after the NCAA Tournament is released. The first round will kick off Friday, March 19.
  • Selection - Monday, March 15, 2021
  • Rounds 1-3: March 19-23
  • Semifinals/Championship: March 27/29
The WNIT committee will choose 32 teams for the Postseason WNIT. The field will consist of a to-be-determined number of automatic berths. These berths will only be awarded to conference regular-season. The remaining berths in the WNIT field will be awarded to at-large teams.

Selecting Teams: At-large Berths
The remaining team slots in the Postseason WNIT will be filled by the top teams available. Any team from Division I will be considered.
The bad news it is supposed to be streamed on line by FloHoops. I have not heard anything good about them, including billing issues(you buy a month and they charge you for a year, then have difficulty in canceling) Anyone have a good review of FloHoops?

Reaction Score
Does Notre Dame go if invited? Do the first 8 out of dance get invited? Does ASU get invited? Stay tuned.... tomorrow our questions are answered

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The question becomes does the NCAA Committee really want to have 4 substitute teams as has been bandied about? ND, without a doubt would go to the WNIT this year as it has a new coach who could use the extra games and team time to improve and build her resume. MM would have felt it was beneath her stature given all her accomplishments.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
WNIT has provided no info on how teams will be selected other than to say that there will be "some" auto bids.

There are 11* regular season champs who didn't win their conference tournament and wont be invited to the NCAAs. I hope they get auto-bids, and the other 21 could be at-large.

Rice, Maine, Delaware, IUPUI, Dayton, Bowling Green, New Mexico, UT-Martin, Bucknell, Samford, LA-Lafayette
VG is right, let's ask the mods to merge the two threads immediately to avoid confusion.

@Biff @HuskyNan can either of you help us out?

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
The bad news it is supposed to be streamed on line by FloHoops. I have not heard anything good about them, including billing issues(you buy a month and they charge you for a year, then have difficulty in canceling) Anyone have a good review of FloHoops?
IIRC, you have to be careful what you're signing up for. There is a monthly rate and a yearly rate, but they advertise the yearly rate by how much it costs per month (with very small print that the rate requires a one year commitment paid in advance). You need to look for the higher rate that is truly monthly and sign up for that.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
IIRC, you have to be careful what you're signing up for. There is a monthly rate and a yearly rate, but they advertise the yearly rate by how much it costs per month (with very small print that the rate requires a one year commitment paid in advance). You need to look for the higher rate that is truly monthly and sign up for that.
Thanks. helpful info.

Reaction Score

I bought a month of FloHoops a few years ago to watch UConn in a holiday tournament. It was expensive, but it was UConn, so.... Afterwards it took a little work to find the place on their site to actually cancel - they hide it pretty well, but it's there. After I canceled I never got billed again. Sort of a pain in the butt, but no biggie to see the Huskies.

Reaction Score
interesting... Charlotte's site will be held at an arena..... Rockford at a glorified Rec Center... Fort Worth something similar.. and Memphis at a high school gym. :confused:

Rec centers and a high school gym? This can't be real.

Reaction Score
Rec centers and a high school gym? This can't be real.
remember that the wnit is not run by the NCAA

private company just trying to make $, so they gotta economize as much as possible this year

Reaction Score
The question becomes does the NCAA Committee really want to have 4 substitute teams as has been bandied about? ND, without a doubt would go to the WNIT this year as it has a new coach who could use the extra games and team time to improve and build her resume. MM would have felt it was beneath her stature given all her accomplishments.
Do you really believe ND would accept a WNIT bid? I'm skeptical. Not so much the coach but ND the entity believes it is beneath them I think.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wilkerson-Greines arena in Ft. Worth is used mostly for high school games, and frequently for high school playoff games. Bigger than a glorified rec center and I'm sure will be maybe 10% full for WNIT.

Reaction Score
Wilkerson-Greines arena in Ft. Worth is used mostly for high school games, and frequently for high school playoff games. Bigger than a glorified rec center and I'm sure will be maybe 10% full for WNIT.
They gotta be counting on more attendance than that to break even.

Plebe

Reaction Score
They gotta be counting on more attendance than that to break even.
Maybe if Oklahoma and Abilene Christian end up there, they can pull some fans? I don't see TCU or any other DFW teams getting selected.

Hard to imagine any kind of neutral-court format breaking even for the WNIT.

Plebe

Reaction Score

On this page they explain that auto bids only go to the teams that, as you describe, won the regular season title but lost in the conference tournament (and don't receive an NCAA at-large bid):

The WNIT committee will choose 32 teams for the Postseason WNIT. The field will consist of a to-be-determined number of automatic berths. These berths will only be awarded to conference regular-season champions who don’t earn an NCAA Tournament berth. The remaining berths in the WNIT field will be awarded to at-large teams.

Plebe

Reaction Score
In line with the above, WNIT auto bids will go to the following regular-season conference champs:

Maine (America East)​
Dayton (Atlantic 10)​
Delaware (Colonial)​
Rice (Conference USA)​
Wright State (Horizon)
Bowling Green (MAC)​
New Mexico (Mountain West)​
TN Martin (Ohio Valley)​
Bucknell (Patriot)​
Samford (SoCon)​
Louisiana (Sun Belt)​
Cal Baptist (WAC)​

Did I miss any?
This would make 12 11 automatic bids, leaving 20 at-large bids available.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe if Oklahoma and Abilene Christian end up there, they can pull some fans? I don't see TCU or any other DFW teams getting selected.

Hard to imagine any kind of neutral-court format breaking even for the WNIT.
UT-Arlington possibly. And there's gotta be some Rice & Houston alums in DFW.

They're certainly hurt by having NIT competition in Dallas & Denton.

Plebe

Reaction Score
UT-Arlington possibly. And there's gotta be some Rice & Houston alums in DFW.

They're certainly hurt by having NIT competition in Dallas & Denton.
If UTA gets a bid it will be a big bone thrown their way just for proximity. Very low NET and only one win outside of Quad 4.

"Some" -- of course. How many of the "some" are going to trek to the southeast side of Fort Worth for a WNIT game? Maybe a few dozen each?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom