WNIT 2018 | The Boneyard

WNIT 2018

Reaction Score
Rutgers & Chattanooga, whose coaches have a lot of wins

Reaction Score
PAC is listed as having no AQ team. I'm guessing this means that USC turned them down.

ACC has VT and GT
B10 has Rutgers, Purdue, PennSt,Mich St, Indiana
B12 has WV, TCU, Kan St
SEC = Bama
PAC = Utah
BgE = St Johns, Gtown, Seton Hall

Reaction Score
George Mason will be in the WNIT for the third time in program history. They beat two automatic qualifiers for the NCAA tournament in non-conference play this year.

Natalie Butler, who led the Atlantic 10 in scoring and the nation in rebounding, needs just 19 rebounds to break the all-time rebounding record for a season. She is currently sixth all time. Go Nat!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
PAC is listed as having no AQ team. I'm guessing this means that USC turned them down.

It definitely means USC; they were the AQ from the Pac-12, and when the AQ declines the bid goes to the at-large pool (i.e. no AQ from that conference).

Plebe

Reaction Score
ACC has VT and GT
B10 has Rutgers, Purdue, PennSt,Mich St, Indiana
B12 has WV, TCU, Kan St
SEC = Bama
PAC = Utah
BgE = St Johns, Gtown, Seton Hall

Other conference w/ multiple bids:
  • Atlantic 10 (5): Duquesne, Fordham, George Mason, St. Joseph's, St. Louis
  • Mountain West (4): UNLV, Colorado State, New Mexico, Wyoming
  • CUSA (4): UAB, Louisiana Tech, MTSU, Rice
  • MAC (3): Ball State, Miami (OH), Toledo
  • Colonial (3): Drexel, Delaware, James Madison
  • Horizon (3): IUPUI, Milwaukee, Wright State
  • Summit (2): South Dakota, Western Illinois
  • Missouri Valley (2): Missouri State, Northern Iowa
  • Ivy (2): Penn, Harvard
  • Patriot (2): Bucknell, Navy
  • Southern (2): ETSU, Chattanooga
  • Southland (2): Lamar, Stephen F Austin
With the withdrawal of Rutgers, that leaves the A-10 as the team with the most teams.

Plebe

Reaction Score
They've released the bracket: Bracket

Houston gets a *very* tough draw: sent to South Dakota, which two years ago won the WNIT on its home floor. (A very strange placement as well, considering most first-round opponents are fairly close geographically.)

Cincinnati also gets a tough draw, sent to Michigan State.

UCF, clearly grouped with a higher tier, hosts Jacksonville. But they would likely play Alabama next if they win.

George Mason gets a good draw, hosting Stephen F. Austin. (I bet GM benefited mightily from the withdrawal of Rutgers.)

Reaction Score
Rutgers women's basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer will end the 2017-18 season with 997 wins after the Scarlet Knights declined a WNIT bid.

People close to Stringer told NJ Advance Media she wished to pursue her 1,000th win in the NCAA Tournament, and not the WNIT.

Basically CViv will get her 3 wins next season while playing the OOC schedule...and we know how these early OOC teams can be. I would think the WNIT would have provided a much tougher challenge.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
The article HuskyNan shared quoted Stringer as saying "We have decided that our season should end at this point and focus on the future and putting ourselves into a position to control our destiny come next season."

I wonder if this is a royal "we" (i.e., just Stringer), a semi-royal "we" which included the entire coaching staff, or was a decision made with the team being included in the discussion? Any of our Rutger's posters have a sense?

We know that this is in line with her decision making in the past -not sure that I agree with it in this instance. The team clearly struggled in the latter part of the season, and I would think they could use as much time playing together as is available to them. Of course, that's true for every other team out there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom