WNBA transactions | The Boneyard

WNBA transactions

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As of June 25 - Keep up to date on the latest transactions with WNBA.com’s Transactions page. As front offices around the league make moves leading up to and throughout the 2020 season, this page will stand as your go-to source for all of the latest transactions, including trades, signings and player releases. I will constantly update this page as often as it is updated on the WNBA website.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Where's the dislike button?
Hey, at least they were classy enough to put out a "thank you" tweet :rolleyes:

I'm only slightly more surprised by the release of Kea, who has a dynamic and versatile offensive repertoire and would seem physically well suited for the pro game. I won't be surprised if another team picks her up at least for training camp (en su caso).

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I'm only slightly more surprised by the release of Kea, who has a dynamic and versatile offensive repertoire and would seem physically well suited for the pro game. I won't be surprised if another team picks her up at least for training camp (en su caso).
Alas, she's not the one for whose release I wanted a dislike button. ;P

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Alas, she's not the one for whose release I wanted a dislike button. ;P
I think that McCall is a "tough keep" in the W. Undersized post and not the level of overwhelming skill to overcome that against the caliber of frontcourts in the league.

Reaction Score
Nope, no billions. I think the W could make some better decisions about marketing though. Summer isn't basketball season. If you play during the same time frames as other basketball, you tie games in with college games and NBA. Do double headers, but broadcast regionally like the NFL. Tie broadcasts to where teams players played collegiately.

Quit letting Europe dictate. No other "top" league plays off season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sparks extended Sydney Wiese thru '22 today.

Sparks are pretty high on her

Sydney Wiese is an invaluable part of our organization. She can play multiple backcourt positions, provides outside shooting, and is a model teammate and professional. — Sparks head coach Derek Fisher

Interesting that the SI WNBA article thought LA was going to cut her.

Los Angeles Sparks
What’s old?

A trio of Sparks players. Candace Parker, Nneka Ogwumike and Chelsea Gray have been the backbone of the franchise since Gray joined them in 2016. They, along with 2019 additions Chiney Ogwumike and Tierra Ruffin-Pratt, led Los Angeles to a third-place finish (22-12) in the regular-season standings and the WNBA semifinals.

What’s new?

A dynamic duo. Perennial All-Stars Seimone Augustus and Kristi Toliver signed with Los Angeles during free agency. Augustus left the Lynx — her team since 2006 — after contract negotiations soured and Toliver decided to return to Los Angeles — where she’d played from 2010-16 — after winning a championship with the Mystics. In the second round of the draft, the Sparks also took forward Beatrice Mompremier, who could end up being a steal as an impact player.

Starters

Chelsea Gray G
Kristi Toliver G
Seimone Augustus G/F
Nneka Ogwumike F
Candace Parker F/C

This starting five could rival any in the league. Every player has the ability to score. And with a bench that includes Brittney Sykes, Ruffin-Pratt, Chiney Ogwumike, Riquna Williams and Mompremier, Los Angeles has one of the most complete rosters in the league.

Bench

Chiney Ogwumike F/C
Tierra Ruffin-Pratt G
Brittney Sykes G
Beatrice Mompremier F
Marie Gulich C
Riquna Williams G

The Sparks have a superb rotation of guards and are way over the salary cap, which means the final cut could leave rookie Tynice Martin and guard Sydney Wiese off the roster. The only way for the Sparks to get under the cap is to carry 11 players. Third-year center Maria Vadeeva could be another cap casualty.

Cuts

Leonie Fiebich F — sitting out
Tynice Martin G
Sydney Wiese G
Maria Vadeeva C

Reaction Score
Sparks are pretty high on her

She’s intelligent and a team glue player. I could see her as a future coach. Perfect for a role player off the bench. Plus she signed for only about $12K above the league minimum of $68K for a vet.

Los Angeles Sparks
What’s new?
A dynamic duo. Perennial All-Stars Seimone Augustus and Kristi Toliver signed with Los Angeles during free agency. Augustus left the Lynx — her team since 2006 — after contract negotiations soured and Toliver decided to return to Los Angeles — where she’d played from 2010-16 — after winning a championship with the Mystics.

For the Sparks, it’s looking like what’s old is what’s new. ;)

In the second round of the draft, the Sparks also took forward Beatrice Mompremier, who could end up being a steal as an impact player.

She could be a steal, but she’d either need Vadeeva to sit out or beat out Gulich, who has been working out pretty hard, to make the team. Not sure the Sparks will roll the dice with Mompremier.

Starters
Chelsea Gray G
Kristi Toliver G
Seimone Augustus G/F
Nneka Ogwumike F
Candace Parker F/C

Can we call them the Golden Girls? Even though Gray isn’t that old, she has an old feel to her game. They’re going to need to stay healthy to have a shot at a title. Staying healthy has been an annual struggle for Augustus. I’m not feeling a title for the Sparks.

And with a bench that includes Brittney Sykes, Ruffin-Pratt, Chiney Ogwumike, Riquna Williams and Mompremier, Los Angeles has one of the most complete rosters in the league.

LIke Allisha Gray, Sykes didn’t sign an extension. She might be a one year rental.

the final cut could leave rookie Tynice Martin and guard Sydney Wiese off the roster.

Oops! Got one wrong already. And it’s sounding like the league will require a cutdown to 12 players by June 1. Rookies might not have a training camp to prove themselves. So it’s less likely that an unproven player will steal a roster spot from an experienced player.

Third-year center Maria Vadeeva could be another cap casualty.

There’s no chance of this happening. Not sure what WNBA this guy has been watching. Could she sit the season out? Maybe. But if I were her, I’d feel safer in sunny California than Russia right now.

Cuts
Leonie Fiebich F — sitting out

Suspended, not cut.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I guess 6' 7" players never really retire

Particularly if your in Bill Laimbeer's sphere of orbit!
“As we continue to look at the makeup of our team in 2020, we felt like Carolyn was the best fit for a role we needed to fill,” said Aces Head Coach and President of Basketball Operations Bill Laimbeer. “Carolyn was happy to jump back into our franchise as a player, and as she always has been, will continue to be a team player.”

Reaction Score
Particularly if your in Bill Laimbeer's sphere of orbit!
“As we continue to look at the makeup of our team in 2020, we felt like Carolyn was the best fit for a role we needed to fill,” said Aces Head Coach and President of Basketball Operations Bill Laimbeer. “Carolyn was happy to jump back into our franchise as a player, and as she always has been, will continue to be a team player.”

so not impressed with her game. She should stay retired

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

It is a dim memory for me but I thought she played pretty well as a backup center for the Aces and that is all they need with Cambage. I am glad she is playing. One of the nicest and giving people in the WNBA. Sought of the anti-Cambage. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
With Park taking the season off, they didn’t want to rely on Warley-Talbert as a backup to Cambage. This could be the Aces’ year if they don’t mess it up.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Teams have to reduce to 12 today.

Tough cuts with players unable to show their stuff . Crystal seems safe but one more roster cut to make.

Atlanta Dream: Mikayla Pivec – Non-Active – Personal Decision (Full Season)
Atlanta Dream: Elina Babkina – Cleared Waivers
Chicago Sky: Japreece Dean – Waived
Connecticut Sun: Jacki Gemelos- Waived
Connecticut Sun: Jazmon Gwathmey – Waived
Connecticut Sun: Megan Huff – Waived
Connecticut Sun: Juicy Landrum – Waived
Minnesota Lynx: Linnae Harper – Waived
Minnesota Lynx: Erica Ogwumike – Waived
Washington Mystics: Sug Sutton – Waived
Washington Mystics: Jaylyn Agnew – Waived

Reaction Score
It's tough when there is such a small number of roster spots for players and this year even less chances for newbies to gain traction on a team.

I truly wonder if the WNBA is going to happen this season. Of course if it takes the year off it may not come back and I'm sure many are worried about that possibility.

I don't follow it very closely but after no sports for months I am ready to embrace almost anything that has contests and where talented players can show off their gifts to the world. I will be curious which players get cut today and I'm sure some will be a surprise and disappointment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom