WNBA Playoffs Thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

WNBA Playoffs Thread

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Don't think that was the point of Dillon's reply.

Take the full paragraph you are referring to:

"Based on the third quarter, one would assume the "choke" was being applied to the Sun, given how they were outscored 18-8 and, in fact, I ventured off to another screen. Like Swiatek in the third set, the Sun kept plugging and once they had traction, it was a done deal. As Chris Evert has remarked, keep plugging and if you can get back to form, tennis can turn around in a hurry. Ditto for hoops."

The way I took it was the reference to the third quarter 18-8 Sky run was to contrast the 22-5 (I believe) Connecticut had in the fourth quarter. Connecticut chipped away and the Chicago experienced their own "choking" in the 4th.

Why would one base a game on the 3rd quarter?

Thanks for the further explanation, Cancontent....that's precisely what I was after:

Waquoit: I decided to write something because a number of people thought Chicago choked in the 4th quarter. I think both teams had poor quarters and/or were the victims of the other teams' run, particularly Chicago. It's hard to pull out of it when the other team makes a run...particularly when you're pressed for time at the end of a game.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thanks for the further explanation, Cancontent....that's precisely what I was after:

Waquoit: I decided to write something because a number of people thought Chicago choked in the 4th quarter. I think both teams had poor quarters and/or were the victims of the other teams' run, particularly Chicago. It's hard to pull out of it when the other team makes a run...particularly when you're pressed for time at the end of a game.
Basketball is a game of runs. Usually both teams have at least one...sometimes two. If a team can put together a run at the end of the game, they either come from behind and steal one, or pull away and put the game on ice. When I predicted a Sky victory yesterday in Chicago, on their home court, I had no idea they would stop scoring with 4 1/2 minutes left in the game. The Sun used a 22-2 fourth-quarter run to knock off the No. 2 seed and defending champion Chicago Sky with a 72-63 victory in a winner-take-all Game 5. Top tier teams just don't do that. :confused: It's going to be a l-o-n-g off season the the Sky players and coaches.

Reaction Score
Basketball is a game of runs. Usually both teams have at least one...sometimes two. If a team can put together a run at the end of the game, they either come from behind and steal one, or pull away and put the game on ice. When I predicted a Sky victory yesterday in Chicago, on their home court, I had no idea they would stop scoring with 4 1/2 minutes left in the game. The Sun used a 22-2 fourth-quarter run to knock off the No. 2 seed and defending champion Chicago Sky with a 72-63 victory in a winner-take-all Game 5. Top tier teams just don't do that. :confused: It's going to be a l-o-n-g off season the the Sky players and coaches.

It will also be an interesting one. Who stays, who goes, who comes in??? Will Parker retire??

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It will also be an interesting one. Who stays, who goes, who comes in??? Will Parker retire??
Parker is getting long in the tooth. I'm betting she comes back for a "fare-well" tour like Sylvia Fowles did. The sting and disappointment of losing a game 5 that they were ahead by 10 points after 3 quarters will subside in the weeks and months to come. Come next May, it would not surprise me if she were to saddle-up for one more season. I didn't hear any rumors of her calling it a career after this season, but you never know. She might wake-up one morning and decide she doesn't want to play anymore, or someone could make her a "Godfather" offer. She's got a few irons in the fire for her basketball after-life. Like Sue Bird, she can become an analyst for women's basketball, or become an assistant coach at the college or professional level.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Waquoit: I decided to write something because a number of people thought Chicago choked in the 4th quarter.
My ol' grandpappy once told me "If it walks like a duck..."

Reaction Score

While I was praising your skills earlier in the thread, did anybody?

Reaction Score
Parker is getting long in the tooth. I'm betting she comes back for a "fare-well" tour like Sylvia Fowles did. The sting and disappointment of losing a game 5 that they were ahead by 10 points after 3 quarters will subside in the weeks and months to come. Come next May, it would not surprise me if she were to saddle-up for one more season. I didn't hear any rumors of her calling it a career after this season, but you never know. She might wake-up one morning and decide she doesn't want to play anymore, or someone could make her a "Godfather" offer. She's got a few irons in the fire for her basketball after-life. Like Sue Bird, she can become an analyst for women's basketball, or become an assistant coach at the college or professional level.

Her retirement is definitely being spoken about. But I agree… she comes back for 1 more year. It will be an interesting off season for sure for the sky

Reaction Score
Yeah. Neither team saw THAT ONE coming.....especially playing at home in front of a packed house. :confused:
Define packed as it seemed that there were more Bills fans at some points, but this could have been camera angles too. Then again, when $ 24K of Labatt Blue gets shipped out, this shouldn't be surprising. :cool:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Does anyone else feel the Aces and Sun match up terribly with one another? No idea how the Aces are going to manage that frontcourt rotation with A’ja as the only real serviceable post and no clue how the Sun is going to handle Aces on the perimeter.
I've been thinking about this. I really don't think the Aces can get away w/ the 4 guard lineup they used frequently in the series w/ the Storm. Hopefully Hamby will be ready to contribute something, anything. Young was able to defend taller players against Seattle, assuming she will start out guarding Bonner, so she'll be tasked w/ a similar challenge. If Gray keeps playing the same way she has been playing, everything else might be trivial. How long can she keep this up?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Parker has a pretty good gig at TNT as an NBA analyst, guessing she runs in that direction. I don't see her as a likely coach (similar to how I don't see DT as a coach) but who knows.

Reaction Score
Should be an interesting Finals. Aces have the pieces to take home the title just a matter of who wants it more. The Sun or the Aces. I can not wait and the WNBA going up against the NFL. Loving all of this.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Gray has internalized her All-Star snub and is taking it out on all comers. The Sun are just more Fodder. I think the Aces in 4.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Gray has internalized her All-Star snub and is taking it out on all comers. The Sun are just more Fodder. I think the Aces in 4.
Anyone else think we’ll see more of Odyssey in the finals for exactly this reason? I’m not crazy about Carrington, but maybe she’ll play more, too. Those two may be able to keep the bleeding from Plum’s and Gray’s scoring to a minimum.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom