WNBA News | Page 5 | The Boneyard

WNBA News

Reaction Score
Salary dump to get under the cap? Makes no sense to me otherwise.
Reeve likes to give out guaranteed contracts to everybody as an inducement to sign. Only thing is there’s a limit of 6 guaranteed contracts per team.

They had Fowles, Dantas, and Sims on guaranteed contracts. That’s 3.

Reeve cut a guaranteed player last season who was signed through this season. Not only does that player’s salary count on this year’s cap, the guaranteed contract still counts toward the limit. So that’s 4.

They added guaranteed contracts from Achonwa and McBride. That makes 6. Instead of being content with that because it would be a perfectly balanced and improved roster, Reeve just couldn’t pass on adding Powers. This is taking longer than I want so I’ll just leave it at that until I find more on why this was the only solution available.

Reaction Score
Reeve likes to give out guaranteed contracts to everybody as an inducement to sign. Only thing is there’s a limit of 6 guaranteed contracts per team.

Reeve cut a guaranteed player last season who was signed through this season. Not only does that player’s salary count on this year’s cap, the guaranteed contract still counts toward the limit. So that’s 4.

They added guaranteed contracts from Achonwa and McBride. That makes 6. Instead of being content with that because it would be a perfectly balanced and improved roster, Reeve just couldn’t pass on adding Powers. This is taking longer than I want so I’ll just leave it at that until I find more on why this was the only solution available.
Sims would be a nice add to Seattle, Bird, Loyd, Canada, Prince.

Reaction Score

Achonwa? Really?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The thing with Indiana is...

PG slot between Allemand (if she comes to US this summer) and Danielle Robinson is arguably above par for the league.

If you believe in potential, McCowan, Cox, with vets Lavender and Breland to provide support, is not half bad either.

Kelsey Mitchell took a real leap in efficiency last season, and if she keeps it up, is an excellent scorer at the 2. Tiffany Mitchell hasn't been able to shoot in 4 years in the league, but is decent. And if Vivians could get healthy I loved her potential.

Where they have no one of note is the 3 spot. Ironically, Laney used to have that spot, but they let her go right before she had her breakout season with Atlanta.

Indiana has the #4 pick in the draft. The top SF coming out this year are:
--Renia Davis, UT
--Michaela Onyenwere, UCLA
--Kayla Jones, NC State

ESPN mock draft has them picking Renia Davis of UT, who is probably who I'd take to if they are committed to drafting a SF. But that's not going to make them a ton better...this season.

Reaction Score
If you believe in potential, McCowan, Cox, with vets Lavender and Breland to provide support, is not half bad either.
Where they have no one of note is the 3 spot. Ironically, Laney used to have that spot, but they let her go right before she had her breakout season with Atlanta.
The current coach of Indiana came from the Mystics, who run a mobile center system. If it were me, I’d commit to McCowan as the franchise centerpiece, but Stanley hasn’t done that. McCowan came off the bench. Will things be different now that Achonwa and Dupree are gone? Hard to say. Seems like Indiana is committed to Lavender. I doubt they gave over half a million dollars guaranteed to Lavender for the next three years to come off the bench.
Indiana is four deep at post right now with McCowan possibly being a trade candidate to a team that embraces big centers (think Aces). With Cox, they’re probably not entirely sure what they have after her snakebit rookie season. I feel the best available players in this draft are three posts: Collier, Mack, and Kuier. If one of those three were to show up at #4, it’d be tough for me to pass on them. Hard to say what Catchings will do.
They do have Vivians and Kennedy Burke who can play the SF, plus they’ve gone smaller with Tiffany Mitchell there. So it’s not like they’re in desperate need of a SF. I’d go with the best player available outside the guard positions.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I guess I'd say if your options for SF are Vivians (who's played 6 games over the past two years), Burke (a fine backup but a very questionable starter), and the 5-9 Tiffany Mitchell, you are in desperate need of a SF.

Reaction Score
I guess I'd say if your options for SF are Vivians (who's played 6 games over the past two years), Burke (a fine backup but a very questionable starter), and the 5-9 Tiffany Mitchell, you are in desperate need of a SF.
Is Rennia Davis an unquestionable starter at the WNBA level? I would question that. I think she’d have to earn that spot over who they already have.

Reaction Score
705C102E-69C0-44A6-B863-2983D9E02ED9.jpeg

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

PG slot between Allemand (if she comes to US this summer) and Danielle Robinson is arguably above par for the league.

Kelsey Mitchell took a real leap in efficiency last season, and if she keeps it up, is an excellent scorer at the 2. Tiffany Mitchell hasn't been able to shoot in 4 years in the league, but is decent. And if Vivians could get healthy I loved her potential.

Indiana has the #4 pick in the draft. The top SF coming out this year are:
--Renia Davis, UT
--Michaela Onyenwere, UCLA
--Kayla Jones, NC State

ESPN mock draft has them picking Renia Davis of UT, who is probably who I'd take to if they are committed to drafting a SF. But that's not going to make them a ton better...this season.

I disagree that Allemund/Robinson is above average at the PG spot. There's potential in the rest of the roster but a lot of question marks:

1. Vivians struggled last year coming off her ACL injury. Will she be able to return to rookie form?
2. McCowan also for whatever reason struggled last year and couldn't lock in the center spot after a phenomenal finish to her rookie season. Maybe not a great mix with Stanley? They need her to be consistently productive which she wasn't a year ago.
3. Cox has good upside but will effectively be a rookie this year.
4. Whoever they get at #4 I don't see making a big splash this year. Big learning curve and this draft is void of any strong talent that is likely to make a day 1 impact.
5. Perhaps most importantly, who will be their go to star? It may be Mitchell, but she hasn't shown she can carry her team to success. Every other team besides Atlanta has serious star power that Indiana lacks. You need that to compete, and you usually need multiple star players to be a true title contender.

Reaction Score
The current coach of Indiana came from the Mystics, who run a mobile center system. If it were me, I’d commit to McCowan as the franchise centerpiece, but Stanley hasn’t done that. McCowan came off the bench. Will things be different now that Achonwa and Dupree are gone? Hard to say. Seems like Indiana is committed to Lavender. I doubt they gave over half a million dollars guaranteed to Lavender for the next three years to come off the bench.
Indiana is four deep at post right now with McCowan possibly being a trade candidate to a team that embraces big centers (think Aces). With Cox, they’re probably not entirely sure what they have after her snakebit rookie season. I feel the best available players in this draft are three posts: Collier, Mack, and Kuier. If one of those three were to show up at #4, it’d be tough for me to pass on them. Hard to say what Catchings will do.
They do have Vivians and Kennedy Burke who can play the SF, plus they’ve gone smaller with Tiffany Mitchell there. So it’s not like they’re in desperate need of a SF. I’d go with the best player available outside the guard positions.
You can talk individual players to death. The problem with Indiana is chemistry and they are too late on Lavender. She is past her prime and doesn’t do enough things well to justify a max contract. Bad investment.

Reaction Score
Indiana needs a bonafide star, they have not had one since Catchings retired. Every player they’ve gotten or brought on has been a complimentary player. They need to trade for a star.

Reaction Score
LaToya Sanders retires from the WNBA. She was scheduled to make 117,000 this season so the stalemate between the Mystics and Natasha Cloud may be about to end. Sanders accepted a job with Monumental Sports (owns Wizards and Mystics among other holdings)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
LaToya Sanders retires from the WNBA. She was scheduled to make 117,000 this season so the stalemate between the Mystics and Natasha Cloud may be about to end. Sanders accepted a job with Monumental Sports (owns Wizards and Mystics among other holdings)
Dang that's a bummer, I liked Sanders a lot. She was great at NC and then disappeared for many years and randomly popped up as an important impact player for the Mystics and helped them to a title. Very unorthodox career path but glad it ended on a high note. Wish we saw more of her from 2008-2017.

Reaction Score
Dang that's a bummer, I liked Sanders a lot. She was great at NC and then disappeared for many years and randomly popped up as an important impact player for the Mystics and helped them to a title. Very unorthodox career path but glad it ended on a high note. Wish we saw more of her from 2008-2017.
I think she was in Turkey. She even got Turkish citizenship and played for their Olympic team.

Reaction Score
Emma Meesseman sitting out the season.

Natasha cloud resigns with the mystics

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog