WNBA News | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA News

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Curious to see what Phoenix does with the picks and cap space. Obviously Diggins-Smith is in play. But everyone loves fake trades (and most love UConn)...

#7 and #10 for Katie Lou? Would Chicago be willing to get out of a draft pick that made no sense last year? And just to make it more UConn crazy, use #5 on Crystal? Play Brianna Turner more and try spacing the floor with DT, Crystal, Lou, and Sophie Cunningham?

Still doubt it could happen but maybe go after Chelsea Gray in a sign and trade?

Nice post to get the mid-day hoops thoughts going!

Breezy Brii Turner has led the Adelaide Lightning in both scoring and rebounding this season en route to a fourth place finish and a place in the WNBA semi-finals. I can very much see her getting more playing time when she returns back to the U.S./WNBA with the Mercury. Sophie Cunningham has also been gaining confidence as the Aussie season comes to a close.

- If Griner and Turner are on the floor, one could fill that out with a number of guards (DT, Cunningham) and make a trade for another guard or wing (Lou?).

- As both an ND and WBB fan, I'm very interested to see where Skylar ends up next and given what the Mercury received, the draft picks could be of interest to Dallas.

- Lastly, there's a bunch of guards in LA who like the ball now and I can see one of them being moved, if not just for playing time but perhaps payroll pressure.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Howard Megdal reporting Phoenix is trying to acquire Diggins-Smith AND Tina Charles. They’d immediately be in position if DT is healthy.

Curious to see how many assets Phoenix would have to give up. All those #1 picks, Smith and Turner would be my guess.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
WNBA transactions as of Feb 11.

Keep up to date on the latest transactions with WNBA.com’s Transactions page. As front offices around the league make moves leading up to and throughout the 2020 season, this page will stand as your go-to source for all of the latest transactions, including trades, signings and player releases.

February 11, 2020
Connecticut Sun:
DeWanna Bonner – Acquired via Sign and Trade
Dallas Wings: Isabelle Harrison – Contract Signed
Los Angeles Sparks: Kristi Toliver – Contract Signed
Los Angeles Sparks: Tierra Ruffin-Pratt – Contract Signed

February 10, 2020
Connecticut Sun: Jonquel Jones – Contract Signed
Connecticut Sun: Natisha Hiedeman – Contract Signed
Dallas Wings: Megan Gustafson – Contract Signed
Dallas Wings: Moriah Jefferson – Contract Signed
Dallas Wings: Imani McGee-Stafford – Contract Signed
Dallas Wings: Karlie Samuelson – Contract Signed
Dallas Wings: Morgan Bertsch – Contract Signed
New York Liberty: Layshia Clarendon – Contract Signed
Connecticut Sun: Morgan Tuck – Contract Signed
Los Angeles Sparks: Marie Gulich – Acquired via Trade
Los Angeles Sparks: Brittney Sykes – Acquired via Trade
Atlanta Dream: Kalani Brown – Acquired via Trade
Las Vegas Aces: Angel McCoughtry – Contract Signed
Seattle Storm: Morgan Tuck – Acquired via Trade

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great to see someone in Dallas woke up in time to sign Gustafson and a non rebounding Samuelson. Or was she the rebounding one? I forget.

That’s what she’s done overseas. She’s played with Vadeeva and Nneka Ogwumike on the same team.

Reaction Score
Vegas will be interesting with McCoughtry and Cambage. Neither is exactly shy. Clarendon to NY is interesting to me since they have the number one pick that is likely Ionescu.

LA added some interesting pieces. Does Toliver start with Gray? Both seem to be point guards who do shoot well (sometimes). It does leave a big hole for Washington though.

Lastly Phoenix is probably preparing to rebuild since I suspect this will be the final year of DT and all those picks in a few loaded drafts may give them what they need. Still wondering where Diggins-Smith winds up but I am sure she will land somewhere since she is one of the more marketable and recognized players in the league.

Reaction Score
Phoenix trades #5 and #7 this year plus their first round pick in 2021 for Diggins-Smith.

Chicago flips that 2021 pick to Chicago for Ndour.

Reaction Score
.LA added some interesting pieces. Does Toliver start with Gray? Both seem to be point guards who do shoot well (sometimes). It does leave a big hole for Washington though.
Toliver is not really a true PG, but she can fill in for limited min. She will play shooting guard for LA. That is what they lacked last season, a consistent shooting guard. She can switch over to PG when Gray is getting a breather. LA also lacked a backup point last year as well. Actually a perfect fit for LA. Toliver is a much better shooting guard than Sims when she played role when she was with them. Jones did not work out as back up point and Williams was not that consistent and can't play the point. With Toliver in the line up, Gray will not have to shoot so many 3's, She was better when she could be more selective with her attempts.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Phoenix trades #5 and #7 this year plus their first round pick in 2021 for Diggins-Smith.

Chicago flips that 2021 pick to Chicago for Ndour.

Adding in this ESPNw article on the trade to put multiple sources in one place.

Going "back" in this thread, you could see this possibility once Phoenix stockpiled draft choices. Done deal. Well, Skylar never got on the court with fellow ND alum Arike Ogunbowale, but now she'll be able to do so with Brianna Turner in Phoenix, who I think will be getting a lot of PT this year up front with Brittany Griner.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I just don't understand the idolization of Skyler. Yes she can score but she is not an efficient scorer (last year < 30% from 3 pt for example)

She does have good assist numbers but she can be hot and cold and when she is not shooting well, her body language is very pouty. A remnant of her ND days against UConn I guess. Very different from McBride.
I have to think part of her value is the name recognition factor.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
She does have good assist numbers but she can be hot and cold and when she is not shooting well, her body language is very pouty. A remnant of her ND days against UConn I guess. Very different from McBride.

Oh, eebmg, I expect better from you ( you're the one who has"fair and balanced"). ;) And you're taking a crack at the player who shot a huge breath of fresh air back into the ND program. Got the Irish up in me! :D

First, let's look at her pouty body language being "A remnant of her ND days against UConn I guess." I've cut and pasted this article from the Hartford Courant that chronicles the best of the UConn vs. ND games through 2015. (I'm doing this so as not be accused of dropping in a "homer" account of the series). Here's what John Altavilla wrote:

"March 4, 2013: In South Bend, the second-ranked Irish trailed by six in the first overtime and five in the second overtime before beating the third-ranked Huskies 96-87 in three overtimes to win Big East title for the second straight year. The Fighting Irish went undefeated in the conference for the first time since joining it in 1995-96 and became the first team to win six of seven games against Connecticut in more than two decades. Here is why: Skylar Diggins had 29 points and 11 rebounds. Kayla McBride added 26 points. That was enough to counter 26 points from Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and 21 points and 13 rebounds from Kelly Faris. "

Note the "first team to win six of seven games against UConn in more than two decades."
That's what Diggin's value was: she was exceedingly competitive and made her teammates think the same. She didn't back down. Tempermentally, to some degree, she was the Butch Cassidy to K-Mac's Sundance. Hot vs. cool.

I don't disagree with you that she can be a streaky shooter...it's there for all to see. However, the key to her is pulling it together at the right time and place. Gosh knows I watched enough games when she'd be off, only to turn it on time and time again.

As for her public image: well yes, she's articulate, keeps herself together and is very good at finding the right marketing vehicles. But she played awfully well to get those vehicles. And she works very hard to stay in shape.

She'll help Phoenix's bigs (Griner, Turner) in the same way she helped Cambage when the two had the one season in Dallas.. And the bigs will help her get open shots or lanes to drive. It's good signing.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Oh, eebmg, I expect better from you ( you're the one who has"fair and balanced"). And you're taking a crack at the player who shot a huge breath of fresh air back into the ND program. Got the Irish up in me!

First, let's look at her pouty body language being "A remnant of her ND days against UConn I guess." I've cut and pasted this article from the Hartford Courant that chronicles the best of the UConn vs. ND games through 2015. (I'm doing this so as not be accused of dropping in a "homer" account of the series). Here's what John Altavilla wrote:

:March 4, 2013: In South Bend, the second-ranked Irish trailed by six in the first overtime and five in the second overtime before beating the third-ranked Huskies 96-87 in three overtimes to win Big East title for the second straight year. The Fighting Irish went undefeated in the conference for the first time since joining it in 1995-96 and became the first team to win six of seven games against Connecticut in more than two decades. Here is why: Skylar Diggins had 29 points and 11 rebounds. Kayla McBride added 26 points. That was enough to counter 26 points from Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and 21 points and 13 rebounds from Kelly Faris. "

Note the "first team to win six of seven games against UConn in more than two decades."
That's what Diggin's value was: she was exceedingly competitive and made her teammates think the same. She didn't back down. Tempermentally, to some degree, she was the Butch Cassidy to K-Mac's Sundance. Hot vs. cool.

I don't disagree with you that she can be a streaky shooter...it's there for all to see. However, the key to her is pulling it together at the right time and place. Gosh knows I watched enough games when she'd be off, only to turn it on time and time again.

As for her public image: well yes, she's articulate, keeps herself together and is very good at finding the right marketing vehicles. But she played awfully well to get those vehicles. And she works very hard to stay in shape.

She'll help Phoenix's bigs (Griner, Turner) in the same way she helped Cambage when the two had the one season in Dallas.. And the bigs will help her get open shots or lanes to drive. It's good signing.

Actually, I am not sure how "fair and balanced" was placed in my account?? I don't recall doing it and it does not sound like something I would do. :confused:

Also, My lasting impression of her that stuck in my mind was the last FF game (I know she was instrumental in our biggest defeats but that last performance is what I remember the most)

I suppose my fandom is showing and I wait to see if she will play at the elite level a supermax deal assumes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just don't understand the idolization of Skyler....She does have good assist numbers but she can be hot and cold and when she is not shooting well, her body language is very pouty. A remnant of her ND days against UConn I guess. Very different from McBride.
I know, right? I don't get it either, and I sure don't think name recognition is worth 3 first round draft picks. Not to me anyway - to me it's negative name recognition. This will be costing the Mercury at least one fan - me. I cannot stand anything about Skylar Diggins.

I live in Phoenix, I am (was) a Mercury fan, and consider myself fortunate to have been able to watch DT play here for the past 10 years. But this is a tough one. Having former deadly enemy Griner grow on me here in Phoenix was easy. I'm also a Yankee fan. It wasn't that easy, but I even got used to Roger Clemens and Johnny Damon in pinstripes. But I'll give up watching the WNBA altogether before I'll ever root for Skylar Diggins.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I lowkey love when players from rival schools team up in the pros. Fans dont know how to feel/root for. Next big movement should be Candace Parker or Arike joining the Storm.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I lowkey love when players from rival schools team up in the pros. Fans dont know how to feel/root for. Next big movement should be Candace Parker or Arike joining the Storm.

shaq.gif

I laugh....... but it was hard to see Kristi Tolliver with the Sparks play alongside with Chelsea Gray and Alana Beard.

Reaction Score
Well I realize I am in the minority here but I am a fan of Skylar and have been since her days at ND. She is a fierce competitor who plays hard and hustles when she's out there. Is it possible childbirth combined with an ACL tear have diminished her skills? Of course. Is she as consistent with outside shooting as she should be? Likely not. However, I would rather have her on my team than not.

It may not always happen but I suspect most of the former rivals in college who team up professionally have no issues with one another and generally work well together. These players have often known each other since they were in high school and playing in AAU or all star tournaments. They may have worn different jerseys in college but generally we fans, not the players, are the ones who keep rivalries going after the games end.

I hope Diggins-Smith is successful in Phoenix. Additionally, I hope Taurasi is able to make a go of it this season and close the books properly on her amazing career.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Actually, I am not sure how "fair and balanced" was placed in my account?? I don't recall doing it and it does not sound like something I would do. :confused:

Also, My lasting impression of her that stuck in my mind was the last FF game (I know she was instrumental in our biggest defeats but that last performance is what I remember the most)

I suppose my fandom is showing and I wait to see if she will play at the elite level a supermax deal assumes.

Fair enough. (see maybe that does apply? ;) ). My suspicion on the game you cite is that it was Skylar's last shot at getting to the championship game (remember, she lost in the finals twice) and UConn crushed that hope.

I get the fandom. I suspect I'm something of an anomoly in that while I'm certainly a Notre Dame alum and fan, I don't let it get in the way of appreciating other team's players, even those that are rivals. (unless I've got something with the player's style) And, as stated many times, I respect and admire the way UConn runs the program and I like their style of play. The emphasis on ball movement looks and feels awfully familiar :rolleyes: (I've always thought it's a matter of similar degrees that makes the programs rivalry so huge.).

In any case, we'll see how Skye and DT do. Sky and Sue shared the rock pretty well on the U.S.A. team and I suspect that it won't be an issue with DT, either. There have been other good UConn-ND pairings: MoJeff-K-Mac (although somewhat short-lived due to injuries), Sue & Stewie - Jewell. Time to see how this one and MoJeff-Arike do.

Reaction Score
I know, right? I don't get it either, and I sure don't think name recognition is worth 3 first round draft picks. Not to me anyway - to me it's negative name recognition. This will be costing the Mercury at least one fan - me. I cannot stand anything about Skylar Diggins.

I live in Phoenix, I am (was) a Mercury fan, and consider myself fortunate to have been able to watch DT play here for the past 10 years. But this is a tough one. Having former deadly enemy Griner grow on me here in Phoenix was easy. I'm also a Yankee fan. It wasn't that easy, but I even got used to Roger Clemens and Johnny Damon in pinstripes. But I'll give up watching the WNBA altogether before I'll ever root for Skylar Diggins.

No body cares.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom