WNBA mock draft | The Boneyard

WNBA mock draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Prahalis goes 4th or 5th? Must've been an off-class for wcbb.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If I'm the Lynx, I take Glory Johnson over Stricklen. Stricklen may turn out to be the better pro in the long run, but the Lynx don't need another wing or 2 guard. They could use more size and rebounders. Johnson fits a pressing need.

I know they drafted Amber Harris last year, but I'm not impressed with her work ethic and Glory will work hard to get better.

Won't be a popular opinion, but I don't see Tiff having a long term pro career. She's a role player that may hang around for a couple of years, but no more. She's not consistent in her shooting and needs to develop a jump shot. She has to be able to pull up in transition and consistently hit a shot.

Reaction Score
If I'm the Lynx, I take Glory Johnson over Stricklen. Stricklen may turn out to be the better pro in the long run, but the Lynx don't need another wing or 2 guard. They could use more size and rebounders. Johnson fits a pressing need.

I know they drafted Amber Harris last year, but I'm not impressed with her work ethic and Glory will work hard to get better.

Won't be a popular opinion, but I don't see Tiff having a long term pro career. She's a role player that may hang around for a couple of years, but no more. She's not consistent in her shooting and needs to develop a jump shot. She has to be able to pull up in transition and consistently hit a shot.
I'm not sure why you always feel the need to be the board contrarian, but this one is just kind of ridiculous.

She may be a "role player," sure, but there are plenty of former players who played secondary roles at UConn and went on to have good pro careers.

Let's look at Hayes' best comparison, Kalana Greene. In her second year, Greene averaged 5.6 ppg and 3.8 rpg, and started a bunch of games for a playoff team. Hayes is a better shooter/scorer, ball handler and passer, and she's very close to as good as Greene defensively and on the boards as well. She's also quicker and has more of a defined position at the WNBA level (TH is a pure SG, Greene is kind of a 2/3 tweener).

Ashley Battle is another decent comparison - albeit 3 inches taller and more of a pure SF. Battle went on to have a decent few years in the WNBA, and I don't think anyone would question Hayes is a MUCH better player/prospect coming out of college.

Hayes might not be a star, or even starter, at the professional level, but I would be shocked - SHOCKED - if she didn't enjoy a long career.

Reaction Score
i think the player , who long term, may be a surprise from this class is khadijah rushdan. she is strong and rugged, is a good penetrator, a good distributor of the ball, and gets off the floor pretty well. she will need to improve her shooting.

Reaction Score

Been surprised at the amount of pro-Johnson comments lately. She did come on in the last half of her senior year, but I felt like she underperformed - at times significantly so - in her first 3-to-3.5 years.

Reaction Score
The mock draft was created back in Jan after the Swin trade and has not been updated once. It is not an accurate depiction of the upcoming draft.

Here's mine... http://wnbamockdraft.blogspot.com/

(take it FWIW! Also, stay tuned this weekend for my FINAL mock draft...Tiffany's selection may suprise some people)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
If Johnson is there at #3, I too would take her if I were the Lynx GM.

They recently signed another experienced guard (can't remember her name) and of course they have Whalen, Wiggins and Monica Wright at the guard spots already. Then there's the illustrious SA and of course you've got Maya on the wing. They are well covered at 1, 2 and 3.

As was noted above, Amber Harris is a bit of a question mark at the 4/5, and also Taj is going to be backing off her minutes this year, so another strong body to the mix would be a good thing. In all likelihood this is Taj's final year. I feel that Glory would fit in well as she has a good motor and would give them a great mix of size, talent and tenacity at one of spots. And she wouldn't have to produce right away. Next year a mix of Adair/Brunson/Harris/Johnson would be a very nice stable of bigs for the Lynx.

If Amber is somehow able to take a big step forward this year, the Lynx will be in the driver's seat. As it is, they should be in the mix to win again but Amber is their biggest body and against certain teams they could really benefit from quality minutes from Amber. Last year it was hit and miss.

This season their games with the Sparks will be something to watch. L.A. adding Nneka and having a healthy (hopefully) CP3, in addition to adding players like Anosike and Beard will make them a team to contend with. I think it will come down to the Lynx vs. the Sparks in the conference finals.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Perhaps a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway: If a team was to draft Griner even though she has said she's not coming out would it control the rights to her next year?

Reaction Score
Perhaps a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway: If a team was to draft Griner even though she has said she's not coming out would it control the rights to her next year?

No.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If I was going to use a player that exceeded their pro expectations, I would have used Ketia Swanier. IMHO she's less talented then Tiff, Ashley or Kalana. IMHO Ashley and Kalana are significantly better defensive players then Tiff will ever be and that has enabled them to succeed in the Pros. Ashley and Kalana are also good offensive players, but it wasn't needed while at UConn and filled a different role.

Tiff had a great career at UConn, but IMHO her skills won't translate to the next level.

I'm not sure why you always feel the need to be the board contrarian, but this one is just kind of ridiculous.

She may be a "role player," sure, but there are plenty of former players who played secondary roles at UConn and went on to have good pro careers.

Let's look at Hayes' best comparison, Kalana Greene. In her second year, Greene averaged 5.6 ppg and 3.8 rpg, and started a bunch of games for a playoff team. Hayes is a better shooter/scorer, ball handler and passer, and she's very close to as good as Greene defensively and on the boards as well. She's also quicker and has more of a defined position at the WNBA level (TH is a pure SG, Greene is kind of a 2/3 tweener).

Ashley Battle is another decent comparison - albeit 3 inches taller and more of a pure SF. Battle went on to have a decent few years in the WNBA, and I don't think anyone would question Hayes is a MUCH better player/prospect coming out of college.

Hayes might not be a star, or even starter, at the professional level, but I would be shocked - SHOCKED - if she didn't enjoy a long career.

Reaction Score
Um, what doesn't Ketia Swanier have to do with anything? She doesn't play the same position as any of those players.

And you're pretty off on your assessment of Hayes' defense. Greene and Battle were elite, lockdown defenders at UConn, while Hayes was "only" very good - that's far from being significantly worse as you claim.

Then there's the fact that Hayes' offensive game - great slasher, good at beating people off the bounce, nice mid-range game, really good passer - is built very well for the WNBA. Certainly better than Greene's or Battle's were when they entered the league.

Hayes will enjoy a very long WNBA career as a complementary player. Book it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if Novosel is athletic enough for the next level. Tough enough, smart enough, good shooter, yes. Quick enough, athletic enough, not sure.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if Novosel is athletic enough for the next level. Tough enough, smart enough, good shooter, yes. Quick enough, athletic enough, not sure.
Think Katie Smith, a very good pro and Olympian, who was not very athletic or quick.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Think Katie Smith, a very good pro and Olympian, who was not very athletic or quick.
I think Katie was a better shooter and also a bit more athletic. I'll keep the comparison in mind. Novosel's game seems to be about getting to the FT line. Katie was more of a pure jump shooter, I think.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I think Katie was a better shooter and also a bit more athletic. I'll keep the comparison in mind. Novosel's game seems to be about getting to the FT line. Katie was more of a pure jump shooter, I think.
I agree that Katie was a better shooter, but that may be something that Novasel can work on and improve. I recall that Novasel worked on her game very hard and became a much better player, so she may be able to continue that process. It will be interesting to follow her pro career.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Except for the fact that Katie Smith was incredibly strong (competed in high school in field events) and worked to get much quicker and could create her own shot, which Novosel cannot do.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I just hope Nate's wrong about Tiff going to the Mystics. A bad luck (or incompetent management) club.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I just hope Nate's wrong about Tiff going to the Mystics. A bad luck (or incompetent management) club.

Wire, you are being too kind. Saying the Mystics is a club with "incompetent management" is like saying John Madden is a finnicky eater. :)

Reaction Score
I say Tiffany is certainly athletic enough to hang in the WNBA, but I always felt she needed to change her shot mechanics to be able to stick. Her set shot is so slow and low that I'm not sure how that will translate with pro players who are bigger, faster and more quick to react. I think she'd do well to stick to a roster on that level. Beyond that, I have my doubts.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Mystics tend not to pick UConn players. AJ was the only one, I believe. I hope Tiff winds up in a better place. But if she is selected by the Mystics, I'll go cheer for her.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The Mystics tend not to pick UConn players. AJ was the only one, I believe. I hope Tiff winds up in a better place. But if she is selected by the Mystics, I'll go cheer for her.

Yeah, cheer for a trade.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Wire, you are being too kind. Saying the Mystics is a club with "incompetent management" is like saying John Madden is a finnicky eater. :)
That franchise has always been a joke.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I would not be displeased if Natalie Novosel became the #1 pick of the Sun. For one thing, I don't think there will be too many shining stars available by the time the Sun are on the clock, and I also think she bears comparison to Lindsay Whalen, especially in the negative column: uncertain shot, inferior speed, needs to improve defensively. All of those things were true of Whalen not only when she was drafted, but in her first year or two in the league. But the positives are also the same: an ability and desire to drive to the hoop, a propensity/ability to get fouled, reliability to play consistently every night and to hit free throws at a very high percentage, toughness, competitiveness, and personal maturity.

If the Sun face a choice between Novosel and Tiffany Hayes, I would want them to take Novosel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom