WNBA GM'S Mock Draft 2019 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA GM'S Mock Draft 2019

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wilson is most definitely a four.
WNBA Draft Lottery Aug 28

View attachment 36587

A'ja would be a 3 if it were up to her, but Bill should (and likely will) use her as a 5. Skill set wise she fits in well as a 5. Extremely physical, has midrange but as Cam noted, does her best work in and around the paint. Doesnt have the range to be a stretch 4. I remember when she was labeled as a G/F coming out of HS and people thought she'd be a 3 when they had Coates and Imovbioh. I think A'ja likes the idea of being an all around threat rather than a post player (similar to Stevens) but reality is she's best in the post and that's where she should be used.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
McCowen is a true 5. Big physical player. Turner is a finesse player who is very athletic. Turner has a high fg% because all her shots are in close. Wilson is superior to Turner because she can shoot outside and handle the ball much better. Wilson will be an Olympian Turner will not. Turner will face lots of pros her size and speed. I see her being an effective pro just not an elite pro.

Wilson is physically a lot stronger than Turner and has improved a lot more in the last few years. Who knows how good Turner would be if she remained healthy. Turner likely won't ever be a 20 ppg scorer in the pros but she is still very good and will be a great pro if she remains healthy.

Reaction Score
A'ja would be a 3 if it were up to her, but Bill should (and likely will) use her as a 5. Skill set wise she fits in well as a 5. Extremely physical, has midrange but as Cam noted, does her best work in and around the paint. Doesnt have the range to be a stretch 4. I remember when she was labeled as a G/F coming out of HS and people thought she'd be a 3 when they had Coates and Imovbioh. I think A'ja likes the idea of being an all around threat rather than a post player (similar to Stevens) but reality is she's best in the post and that's where she should be used.

Why would Laimbeer go against what worked very well this season for Wilson? She played at MVP level except the MVP doesn’t get awarded to players on losing teams. Like I pointed out in that older thread, the center minutes were distributed between Swords, Park, and Bone with none of them really taking the bull by the horns to earn the bulk of the minutes. I’m betting Laimbeer will see that as his team’s weakness.

But I think he might be open to trading the pick for a difference-making vet. It might take more than the #1 pick, but I could definitely see him going that route.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gustafson and Shepard should both be higher. Same with Turner if she stays healthy. Not sure about the international players going that high. International picks are risky, mainly because they consistently miss WNBA seasons due to overseas commitments or wanting to take a summer off. In a draft this loaded, I wouldn't want to pass up a player like Shepard or Turner for that kind of uncertainty.
The Mystics would be thrilled to get the Australian. They already have had major success with an international player so they wouldn't hesitate to take another one.

I think Breanna Turner is going to be a steal for whoever select her. As long as she can stay in one piece.

Reaction Score
You’re highly underestimating Turners ability and I’d say Turner is best on the Defensive end. She’s highly disruptive and is a pretty good shot blocker.
I don't think we are underestimating Turner, but she's a poor foul shooter and has very limited range. Most points come from drives to the hoop or cleaning upon the glass. Hey, if you can double figures that way great but it won't or shouldn't make her an all star.

Reaction Score
I don't think we are underestimating Turner, but she's a poor foul shooter and has very limited range. Most points come from drives to the hoop or cleaning upon the glass. Hey, if you can double figures that way great but it won't or shouldn't make her an all star.
That’s Your Opinion.

Reaction Score
Respectfully, I have to disagree.

A'ja Wilson is a center. She can shoot from 10-12 feet out, but she plays her best when she forces her way to the basket. She overpowers people in the post with her physique and use of force and uses an array of spin moves, foot pivots, other skills to score in the paint.

And in terms of minutes, Wilson played over 30 mpg, with most of them as the center. When Laimbeer did start a default center (JiSu Park, for example), it clogged down the offense because of the lack of spacing and shooting.

Wilson is not a four. Taking Brown or McCowan will not help offensively. If you look at the best WNBA teams, they are using true inside/outside players at the four, such as Breanna Stewart (who was and is a power forward), DeWanna Bonner (who, at 6-4, was moved from her wing spot to the four out of necessity...and Phoenix thrived while she was there), Elena Delle Donne (who was a three in Washington before Meeseman sat out and went back to the four, where she played in Chicago), etc. Heck, even the frontcourt of Candace Parker/Nneka Ogwumike works because of their expanded shooting range over the last three years, where they combined to make 171 of 461 shots from three (37.09 percent).

On August 27, 2018, I posted:
If I were AFO/Bill Laimbeer, I would consider trading a few spots down and looking at Napheesa Collier... Collier will fit well next to Wilson and has expanded range, passing abilities, good athleticism, and the ability to be a primary or secondary scorer (though she is only 6-1/6-2).

I still think Collier is the best fit for Las Vegas.

Now, is Collier the best player in the draft? Maybe, maybe not.
But is Collier the best fit for Las Vegas, who has Plum/Jefferson at the point, McBride on the perimeter, and Wilson up front? Absolutely.

Collier can go inside and outside. She is a great rebounder for her size. She has the shooting range to complement Wilson. She knows how to be effective and contribute as the #1 option or the #4 option. And she is incredibly athletic, making her an ideal fit to go between an up-tempo offense or having to manufacture points in halfcourt sets.

If I were Bill Laimbeer, I would look to trade down. As am example, Las Vegas could trade #1 and Nia Coffey to Indiana for #3 and Victoria Vivians (remember, Indiana needs a post desperately, and, at #3, there is always a risk the Brown and McCowan will be gone). This is just one of the dozens of options that Las Vegas have by virture of having secured the top pick.

**Caveat: My analysis is based on the assumption that Sabrina Ionescu does not leave college early.
You should be a GM or at least in the front office as an assistant GM

Reaction Score
If I hadn’t watched a Mississippi State women’s basketball game since they beat Baylor in the Elite 8 in 2017, and then I opened the BY and read that people are even considering McCowan over Brown I would’ve laughed...hysterically. McCowan has come so far over the last few seasons and she has worked so hard to get where she is. She was pretty much dominated by Brown in that matchup two years ago and then came back a new player last season. She has added so much to her game on both ends of the floor. And she is so strong and her quickness and endurance are both much improved. A few games ago she opened swishing two 17-footers. She has come a long, loooonnng way.

I also don’t think Kalani Brown has improved a ton. She has always been a force and always skilled offensively, but I don’t feel that she has become leaps and bounds better than she was her freshman season.

I’ll even throw it back to her freshman year. Elite 8 vs. Oregon State. She was better much better than Gulich and it wasn’t really even up for debate. Come 2018, Gulich significantly outplayed her.
Agree, McCowan is a monster now. Her body is muscular, her quickness is better, but mostly her basketball IQ and confidence are top notch. Her development has been amazing. I believe she will be number 1 pick!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What changes if Ionescu enters?
Many people think that everyone drops down 1 notch, but it changes the fit between players and teams. I think there are 6-8 really good players in the pool, though some could be busts. This looks like a very balanced draft with some risks to me.

Reaction Score
Many people think that everyone drops down 1 notch, but it changes the fit between players and teams. I think there are 6-8 really good players in the pool, though some could be busts. This looks like a very balanced draft with some risks to me.
Who are your risks Milford?? I see some as well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Who are your risks Milford?? I see some as well.
Well, I'm not sure, but I've read from some alleged experts as well as Boneyarders:

Durr is the #1 pick or she can't create her own shot and will be a bust.

Brown is great or too slow and too limited.

McCowan is a beast or she has a very limited offensive game.

Lou is a great shooter but can't play defense. Or she's fragile.

Pheesa is a tweener and not good enough from the outside.

Arike is a great offensive threat or she will shoot you out of games.

I like Ionescu, as she is tough and talented. But her foot speed is average. That didn't hurt Larry Bird.

I think all of these player have SOME risks. I think the UConn players have only minimal risks.

I'm interested in your thoughts.

Reaction Score
Well, I'm not sure, but I've read from some alleged experts as well as Boneyarders:

Durr is the #1 pick or she can't create her own shot and will be a bust.

Brown is great or too slow and too limited.

McCowan is a beast or she has a very limited offensive game.

Lou is a great shooter but can't play defense. Or she's fragile.

Pheesa is a tweener and not good enough from the outside.

Arike is a great offensive threat or she will shoot you out of games.

I like Ionescu, as she is tough and talented. But her foot speed is average. That didn't hurt Larry Bird.

I think all of these player have SOME risks. I think the UConn players have only minimal risks.

I'm interested in your thoughts.
1. Vegas- McCowan will go one because Lambier is an old school bruiser but I think it’s a mistake. The game has transformed into an outside game. McCowan & Wilson on the court will create a lot of outside open shots & then leave them susceptible to being beat off the dribble. She’s not Griner. She lives off offensive rebound outbacks in college. No offensive arsenal but she certainly will help with rim protection & rebounding but not what I’d want in a number 1 pick.

2. New York- Take Collier & play her at the 4 (if I’m Vegas Id take her and play her at 4 with Wilson at the 5). I understand everyone wanting her to be a 3 because of her height. But her freakishly long arms are what matters, not her height. She’s shown she can rebound and bang with anyone & there’s been a lot of great “undersized” 4’s in the NBA & WNBA. Nneka Ogwumike was the MVP at the 4 and is the same height & has shorter arms. Not saying she will be an MVP but she doesn’t have a weakness & her motor is unmatched. There’s a reason she almost made the national team.

3. Indiana- I’d go Katie Lou Samuelson here. Will probably be the best shooter in the WNBA upon arrival & knows how to get fouled. 6’4” and can run the floor and passes very well. Makes everyone around her better. Will make Dupree & Kelsey Mitchell’s life easier. Creates so much room for everyone else to opporate because you can’t leave her. Someone that effects the game like that for a team is something Indiana desperately needs. They can grab a big in the 2nd round (Ezi, Turner or Gustafson) as one of those 3 should be on the board. Handles are underrated. Defensively she will understand how to play positional defense. Only thing that scares me is her injury history.

4. Chicago- Kelani Brown will be the pick. Not entirely crazy about her being mobile enough to contain anyone off the dribble but she’s big, which is something they need. They have enough guards & the only viable 4 (Collier) will be off the board. They are praying Collier will be there and they will play her at the 4. Very underwhelming start of her senior year for Brown that was pegged as a real threat for POY. She still has plenty of the season to prove she’s worth the hype. Her teams have always underperformed in the tournament. This pick worries me.

5. Dallas- Asia Durr is the pick. She will take over for Diggins while she’s out for the year but when she returns, she will slide comfortably back into the 2 spot. She’s not a an unbelievable ball handler but she can definitely do it. Looks to be more of a complete player this season but still has room for growth in making others better. They will be a dangerous backcourt combo when Diggins returns. If Liz comes back or stays that long, that’s a very viable championship contender with Stevens at the 4.

6. Minnesota- Arike will be the likely pick as they are lacking depth at the guard spot. With no PGs worth a top 6 pick in this draft & the departure of Whalen, they are handcuffed here. Wouldn’t be shocked to see them trade for a player like Moriah Jefferson. Arike is a good player but not sure how she will do being at best, the third option. She likes to shoot, a lot. She could be a good option to come off the bench so she can play her game while Maya rests.

7. Los Angeles- They desperately need a 2 or 3 & Sophie Cunningham is here. This pick will be a bust so I’d like to see them trade up to get Durr or try and get an established player in the league to fill those voids. Sophie is a slow footed volume shooter that can’t defend. Candace Parker’s window is closing quickly, they don’t have time to wait so either get Durr or trade it away. Chelsea Gray busted out last year as arguably the best PG in the W. With Parker & Ogwumike inside, I think if they trade up for Durr or Samuelson they immediately are vaulted back into one of the teams to beat next season.

8. Phoenix- Jessica Shepard is a great pick here. She will be a steal. She’s a great fit for Phoenix at the 4 with Bonner at the 3 & Griner at the 5. She has expanded her range a bit & can rebound. Offensively, she’s very gifted & fits this system nicely.

That’s all I care to write on but there’s a lot of players in this draft that could contribute right away. There’s not a Breanna Stewart in this draft but there are a lot of players that have potential to be All-Stars.

Reaction Score
1. Vegas- McCowan will go one because Lambier is an old school bruiser but I think it’s a mistake. The game has transformed into an outside game. McCowan & Wilson on the court will create a lot of outside open shots & then leave them susceptible to being beat off the dribble. She’s not Griner. She lives off offensive rebound outbacks in college. No offensive arsenal but she certainly will help with rim protection & rebounding but not what I’d want in a number 1 pick.

2. New York- Take Collier & play her at the 4 (if I’m Vegas Id take her and play her at 4 with Wilson at the 5). I understand everyone wanting her to be a 3 because of her height. But her freakishly long arms are what matters, not her height. She’s shown she can rebound and bang with anyone & there’s been a lot of great “undersized” 4’s in the NBA & WNBA. Nneka Ogwumike was the MVP at the 4 and is the same height & has shorter arms. Not saying she will be an MVP but she doesn’t have a weakness & her motor is unmatched. There’s a reason she almost made the national team.

3. Indiana- I’d go Katie Lou Samuelson here. Will probably be the best shooter in the WNBA upon arrival & knows how to get fouled. 6’4” and can run the floor and passes very well. Makes everyone around her better. Will make Dupree & Kelsey Mitchell’s life easier. Creates so much room for everyone else to opporate because you can’t leave her. Someone that effects the game like that for a team is something Indiana desperately needs. They can grab a big in the 2nd round (Ezi, Turner or Gustafson) as one of those 3 should be on the board. Handles are underrated. Defensively she will understand how to play positional defense. Only thing that scares me is her injury history.

4. Chicago- Kelani Brown will be the pick. Not entirely crazy about her being mobile enough to contain anyone off the dribble but she’s big, which is something they need. They have enough guards & the only viable 4 (Collier) will be off the board. They are praying Collier will be there and they will play her at the 4. Very underwhelming start of her senior year for Brown that was pegged as a real threat for POY. She still has plenty of the season to prove she’s worth the hype. Her teams have always underperformed in the tournament. This pick worries me.

5. Dallas- Asia Durr is the pick. She will take over for Diggins while she’s out for the year but when she returns, she will slide comfortably back into the 2 spot. She’s not a an unbelievable ball handler but she can definitely do it. Looks to be more of a complete player this season but still has room for growth in making others better. They will be a dangerous backcourt combo when Diggins returns. If Liz comes back or stays that long, that’s a very viable championship contender with Stevens at the 4.

6. Minnesota- Arike will be the likely pick as they are lacking depth at the guard spot. With no PGs worth a top 6 pick in this draft & the departure of Whalen, they are handcuffed here. Wouldn’t be shocked to see them trade for a player like Moriah Jefferson. Arike is a good player but not sure how she will do being at best, the third option. She likes to shoot, a lot. She could be a good option to come off the bench so she can play her game while Maya rests.

7. Los Angeles- They desperately need a 2 or 3 & Sophie Cunningham is here. This pick will be a bust so I’d like to see them trade up to get Durr or try and get an established player in the league to fill those voids. Sophie is a slow footed volume shooter that can’t defend. Candace Parker’s window is closing quickly, they don’t have time to wait so either get Durr or trade it away. Chelsea Gray busted out last year as arguably the best PG in the W. With Parker & Ogwumike inside, I think if they trade up for Durr or Samuelson they immediately are vaulted back into one of the teams to beat next season.

8. Phoenix- Jessica Shepard is a great pick here. She will be a steal. She’s a great fit for Phoenix at the 4 with Bonner at the 3 & Griner at the 5. She has expanded her range a bit & can rebound. Offensively, she’s very gifted & fits this system nicely.

That’s all I care to write on but there’s a lot of players in this draft that could contribute right away. There’s not a Breanna Stewart in this draft but there are a lot of players that have potential to be All-Stars.
Asia Durr will be eaten up as a pg in the WNBA. She has trouble when pressured in her own end and turns it over under moderate pressure. The good thing is Walz doesn't put her in that spot and Lville rarely gets pressured to find her relied upon to beat a press. You will see it first hand if Dallas does play her anywhere close to pg.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone fill me in. I keep reading on how one player or another is needed to fill in for Diggins In this thread it was posted that she will be out for the year. I must have missed something. Why will she be out for the year?

Reaction Score
Someone fill me in. I keep reading on how one player or another is needed to fill in for Diggins In this thread it was posted that she will be out for the year. I must have missed something. Why will she be out for the year?
Pregnant.

Reaction Score
What a wimp. She lets a pregnancy stop her? Players are so soft these days. I got to go their are some kids on my lawn.

She wont miss the entire year fyi.

Reaction Score
I wish they’d make the correction that Brown is 6’6 at best—NOT 6’8. A lot of places list her at 6’7 but that’s a stretch.

Reaction Score
I wish they’d make the correction that Brown is 6’6 at best—NOT 6’8. A lot of places list her at 6’7 but that’s a stretch.
Didn’t Brown grow after HS? She was always listed at 6’4”/6’5”. McCowan is also 6’6” according to herself, but I usually see 6’7 and have seen 6’8”

Reaction Score

Yeah, I’m with the too short to be a WNBA PF crowd, much like Gabby. Lacks strength for the position too. New York doesn’t need a PF anyway. They have Charles and a very good Canadian Team PF most likely returning. NY could use a SF, so Collier could be used there, but KLS would probably be better and less of a project for the SF position. But I think what NY needs the most is a dominant big, so Brown would be my choice under the scenario that McCowan is already taken.

3. Indiana- I’d go Katie Lou Samuelson here. Will probably be the best shooter in the WNBA upon arrival & knows how to get fouled. 6’4” and can run the floor and passes very well. Makes everyone around her better. Will make Dupree & Kelsey Mitchell’s life easier. Creates so much room for everyone else to opporate because you can’t leave her. Someone that effects the game like that for a team is something Indiana desperately needs. They can grab a big in the 2nd round (Ezi, Turner or Gustafson) as one of those 3 should be on the board.

Indy drafted Vivians last year. Not sure they need another SF. They could use a center as well, but they’ll probably take the best available player, preferably not a guard since they already have a bunch.

Indy doesn’t have a second round pick, so would that change your strategy?

4. Chicago- Kelani Brown will be the pick. Not entirely crazy about her being mobile enough to contain anyone off the dribble but she’s big, which is something they need.

They have Dolson and Coates. That’s enough for bigs unless some trade happens. I’m doubting Brown makes it to #4 with the first three teams all needing a dominant big.

Diggins’ main function is starting PG, so there is no way Durr steps in and starts as a PG in the WNBA. She’s not even a PG now. It would be a disaster. I’d trust Tayler Hill as a PG before Durr, but I suspect Dallas will look for an experienced free agent PG if Diggins is missing much time. They need one anyway since Romero hasn’t really worked out well as a backup PG.

6. Minnesota- Arike will be the likely pick as they are lacking depth at the guard spot. With no PGs worth a top 6 pick in this draft & the departure of Whalen, they are handcuffed here. Wouldn’t be shocked to see them trade for a player like Moriah Jefferson.

Minnesota has 3 guards already signed for next season (Danielle Robinson, Tanisha Wright, Alexis Jones) and Seimone Augustus has indicated she wants to come back. If Augustus changes her mind about coming back, then maybe I could see them going this route, but they have more pressing needs in the post.... and this is a great draft for posts.

Probably not a bad fit, but I’m thinking PHX has UConn recruit Ezi Magbegor in their sights, since the coach of PHX is also the coach of the AUS national team. PHX also has the #13 pick, so they might hope Magbegor shows up there, but that could be a gamble.

Reaction Score

Great analysis! Shepard has always had range. She shot the three ball during her tenure at Nebraska; not sure why she doesn’t shoot it anymore.

Reaction Score
Great analysis! Shepard has always had range. She shot the three ball during her tenure at Nebraska; not sure why she doesn’t shoot it anymore.
I'm higher than most on Shepard. I thought she was the key to their championship last season. She's very strong and proved herself in the Team USA scrimmage.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I’m with the too short to be a WNBA PF crowd, much like Gabby. Lacks strength for the position too. New York doesn’t need a PF anyway. They have Charles and a very good Canadian Team PF most likely returning. NY could use a SF, so Collier could be used there, but KLS would probably be better and less of a project for the SF position. But I think what NY needs the most is a dominant big, so Brown would be my choice under the scenario that McCowan is already taken.

Indy drafted Vivians last year. Not sure they need another SF. They could use a center as well, but they’ll probably take the best available player, preferably not a guard since they already have a bunch.

They have Dolson and Coates. That’s enough for bigs unless some trade happens. I’m doubting Brown makes it to #4 with the first three teams all needing a dominant big.

Diggins’ main function is starting PG, so there is no way Durr steps in and starts as a PG in the WNBA. She’s not even a PG now. It would be a disaster. I’d trust Tayler Hill as a PG before Durr, but I suspect Dallas will look for an experienced free agent PG if Diggins is missing much time. They need one anyway since Romero hasn’t really worked out well as a backup PG.

Minnesota has 3 guards already signed for next season (Danielle Robinson, Tanisha Wright, Alexis Jones) and Seimone Augustus has indicated she wants to come back. If Augustus changes her mind about coming back, then maybe I could see them going this route, but they have more pressing needs in the post.... and this is a great draft for posts.

Probably not a bad fit, but I’m thinking PHX has UConn recruit Ezi Magbegor in their sights, since the coach of PHX is also the coach of the AUS national team. PHX also has the #13 pick, so they might hope Magbegor shows up there, but that could be a gamble.

Collier doesn't have the height or strength based on what?? Any film where she's gotten bullied in the post? You realize I said 4 and not 5. She will end up among top of record books in UCONN history for Blocks & Rebounds. Something to be said for that. She's much taller and longer than Gabby so doesn't compare to me.

Indiana needs alot, I think you take the best PLAYER available. To me, that will be Katie Lou Samuelson.

Coates hardly played for Chicago and Dolson has proven she doesn't want to bang down low like that. They need a 5 badly.

I'd personally like to see Minnesota trade up. They are the oldest roster in the league I'm guessing.

Reaction Score
I'm higher than most on Shepard. I thought she was the key to their championship last season. She's very strong and proved herself in the Team USA scrimmage.

I am as well, I love her game. I think she is Notre Dame’s best player. And yes, better than Arike!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom