WNBA GM'S Mock Draft 2019 | The Boneyard

WNBA GM'S Mock Draft 2019

Reaction Score
I would take Brown first and KLS 2nd as I think Brown is way more skilled than McCowan and will offer better flexibility with Wilson. NY got Kia and needs a 3 for which KLS is perfect.

Reaction Score
I think Megan Gustafson will be a top 10 draft pick. Unless Kalani Brown improves her fitness, I don't see her going #3.

Reaction Score
I would take Brown first and KLS 2nd as I think Brown is way more skilled than McCowan and will offer better flexibility with Wilson. NY got Kia and needs a 3 for which KLS is perfect.

KLS will not be in the top 3 based off the end of the ball that doesn't require her to shoot . GM's are aware , i suspect 5 being the best option for her if she wants to thrive on a team individually & not punished for her defensive status .

Reaction Score
I think Megan Gustafson will be a top 10 draft pick. Unless Kalani Brown improves her fitness, I don't see her going #3.

She could be one of those great college players that you’re not sure how she projects in the WNBA. She’s kinda Achonwa-esque to me. About the same height and quick move to the basket. Achonwa slowly keeps getting better because she’s gotten plenty of opportunity to play in Indiana, but she’s not really viewed as a star player. She’s more of a role player on a great team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Gustafson and Shepard should both be higher. Same with Turner if she stays healthy. Not sure about the international players going that high. International picks are risky, mainly because they consistently miss WNBA seasons due to overseas commitments or wanting to take a summer off. In a draft this loaded, I wouldn't want to pass up a player like Shepard or Turner for that kind of uncertainty.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't know. The Liberty's GM loves his UConn players. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
Gustafson and Shepard should both be higher. Same with Turner if she stays healthy. Not sure about the international players going that high. International picks are risky, mainly because they consistently miss WNBA seasons due to overseas commitments or wanting to take a summer off. In a draft this loaded, I wouldn't want to pass up a player like Shepard or Turner for that kind of uncertainty.
Turner has a history of injury but more importantly have you ever noticed that nobody guards her 8 ft from the basket. She can't shoot outside or foul shots. Uber athlete, limited offensive game

Reaction Score
This draft class is really deep. Ogunbowale to Minnesota would be interesting.

Reaction Score
This draft class is really deep. Ogunbowale to Minnesota would be interesting.

I’m a Lynx fan and I’m not interested unless the Lynx bolster that front line in free agency. That’s probably not going to happen.

Reaction Score
I see Kalani Brown underacheving big time in the W. Something big needs to happen in her game. If she doesn't get better she will not be a force in the W.

Reaction Score
This draft isn't terrible but its not that great either. Not so much the order just the players. Sophie Cunningham is hugely overrated. Asia Durr is not great at creating her own shot as mentioned in the article. Asia is ok at creating her own shot. She is far more comfortable knocking down uncontested 3's that most inferior teams allow her to do eventually during games. You hound Asia Durr with a good defender in her face and it won't end well for her (Kia Nurse) You lose her in a zone defense and she will make you pay and ignite her team fast. She can hit contested 3's off passes if she is set knowing she's going to shoot. She is also a tad bit of a streaky shooter and is susceptible to confidence drops and consecutive game slumps. She can drive to the basket now with both hands but its not quick or a particular strength. There is a chance she can continue to get better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t see Kelani being a big factor in the W. She’s underperformed mightily this season so far. I think the game will be too quick for her.

I’d also move Shepard up the board a bit (probably in place of Cunningham). She too has been a disappointment early on. Lost to Green Bay while scoring 8 points. She’s too slow & a volume shooter. Recipe for disaster in the W.

Collier makes a lot of sense at 2 for New York. 6 of their top 8 scorers are guards. Tina is their only player with size. Pheesa & Tina have already shown they have a good connection on the court from a 4-5 perspective from team USA.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure why Katie Lou is so low either? A 6’4” elite shooter that can pass & run the floor? There aren’t many great shooters in the W. She would make every team a lot better.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure why Katie Lou is so low either? A 6’4” elite shooter that can pass & run the floor? There aren’t many great shooters in the W. She would make every team a lot better.

Her Defense is the GM's consensus downfall for KLS. Collier at 2 would be ideal but Tina does not want to play Center so that would be a wasted pick if Collier cant get off the bench . With the emerging Zauhi B i see them going for a guard and replacing Piph's presence sooner than later.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Turner has a history of injury but more importantly have you ever noticed that nobody guards her 8 ft from the basket. She can't shoot outside or foul shots. Uber athlete, limited offensive game

People say the same thing about McCowan who is the likely #1 pick. Turner finishes well inside (is 4th all time in ACC for career FG%) and runs the floor better than any other post in this class. She's also a stellar defender and shot blocker. If she can stay healthy she's going to be a very good pro. Many people (including myself) thought she was a better prospect than Wilson after their freshman season. There have also been many cases of players having bad injuries in college but staying healthy in the pros--Chelsea Gray, Morgan Tuck, Sue Bird, Natalie Achonwa, etc.

Reaction Score
I think whoever has the best season is the between Brown and McCowan will likely be no.1. They all need a center. especially at 6'7 with their frames.

Reaction Score
McCowan is the better rebounder, more mobile, and has a better motor. Brown has a more complete offensive game, but wears out easily. I would take Napheesa before KLS just because she is good defensively.

Reaction Score
McCowan is the better rebounder, more mobile, and has a better motor. Brown has a more complete offensive game, but wears out easily. I would take Napheesa before KLS just because she is good defensively.

That's my point between Brown and McCowan. One is defensively better and one is offensively better. So who ever has the better overall season I think will go 1st between the two.

After seeing Napheesa with team USA I might take her over KLS as well.

Reaction Score
If Turner is still there at 12, Seattle needs to take her. She is a great defender, and a good rebounder, and has played well in big games.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Respectfully, I have to disagree.

A'ja Wilson is a center. She can shoot from 10-12 feet out, but she plays her best when she forces her way to the basket. She overpowers people in the post with her physique and use of force and uses an array of spin moves, foot pivots, other skills to score in the paint.

And in terms of minutes, Wilson played over 30 mpg, with most of them as the center. When Laimbeer did start a default center (JiSu Park, for example), it clogged down the offense because of the lack of spacing and shooting.

Wilson is not a four. Taking Brown or McCowan will not help offensively. If you look at the best WNBA teams, they are using true inside/outside players at the four, such as Breanna Stewart (who was and is a power forward), DeWanna Bonner (who, at 6-4, was moved from her wing spot to the four out of necessity...and Phoenix thrived while she was there), Elena Delle Donne (who was a three in Washington before Meeseman sat out and went back to the four, where she played in Chicago), etc. Heck, even the frontcourt of Candace Parker/Nneka Ogwumike works because of their expanded shooting range over the last three years, where they combined to make 171 of 461 shots from three (37.09 percent).

On August 27, 2018, I posted:
If I were AFO/Bill Laimbeer, I would consider trading a few spots down and looking at Napheesa Collier... Collier will fit well next to Wilson and has expanded range, passing abilities, good athleticism, and the ability to be a primary or secondary scorer (though she is only 6-1/6-2).

I still think Collier is the best fit for Las Vegas.

Now, is Collier the best player in the draft? Maybe, maybe not.
But is Collier the best fit for Las Vegas, who has Plum/Jefferson at the point, McBride on the perimeter, and Wilson up front? Absolutely.

Collier can go inside and outside. She is a great rebounder for her size. She has the shooting range to complement Wilson. She knows how to be effective and contribute as the #1 option or the #4 option. And she is incredibly athletic, making her an ideal fit to go between an up-tempo offense or having to manufacture points in halfcourt sets.

If I were Bill Laimbeer, I would look to trade down. As am example, Las Vegas could trade #1 and Nia Coffey to Indiana for #3 and Victoria Vivians (remember, Indiana needs a post desperately, and, at #3, there is always a risk the Brown and McCowan will be gone). This is just one of the dozens of options that Las Vegas have by virture of having secured the top pick.

**Caveat: My analysis is based on the assumption that Sabrina Ionescu does not leave college early.

Reaction Score
People say the same thing about McCowan who is the likely #1 pick. Turner finishes well inside (is 4th all time in ACC for career FG%) and runs the floor better than any other post in this class. She's also a stellar defender and shot blocker. If she can stay healthy she's going to be a very good pro. Many people (including myself) thought she was a better prospect than Wilson after their freshman season. There have also been many cases of players having bad injuries in college but staying healthy in the pros--Chelsea Gray, Morgan Tuck, Sue Bird, Natalie Achonwa, etc.
McCowen is a true 5. Big physical player. Turner is a finesse player who is very athletic. Turner has a high fg% because all her shots are in close. Wilson is superior to Turner because she can shoot outside and handle the ball much better. Wilson will be an Olympian Turner will not. Turner will face lots of pros her size and speed. I see her being an effective pro just not an elite pro.

Reaction Score
Wilson is most definitely a four.
WNBA Draft Lottery Aug 28

7995E74A-FE6C-4C11-829C-EF30ACF38F88.jpeg

Reaction Score
McCowen is a true 5. Big physical player. Turner is a finesse player who is very athletic. Turner has a high fg% because all her shots are in close. Wilson is superior to Turner because she can shoot outside and handle the ball much better. Wilson will be an Olympian Turner will not. Turner will face lots of pros her size and speed. I see her being an effective pro just not an elite pro.
You’re highly underestimating Turners ability and I’d say Turner is best on the Defensive end. She’s highly disruptive and is a pretty good shot blocker.

Reaction Score
If I hadn’t watched a Mississippi State women’s basketball game since they beat Baylor in the Elite 8 in 2017, and then I opened the BY and read that people are even considering McCowan over Brown I would’ve laughed...hysterically. McCowan has come so far over the last few seasons and she has worked so hard to get where she is. She was pretty much dominated by Brown in that matchup two years ago and then came back a new player last season. She has added so much to her game on both ends of the floor. And she is so strong and her quickness and endurance are both much improved. A few games ago she opened swishing two 17-footers. She has come a long, loooonnng way.

I also don’t think Kalani Brown has improved a ton. She has always been a force and always skilled offensively, but I don’t feel that she has become leaps and bounds better than she was her freshman season.

I’ll even throw it back to her freshman year. Elite 8 vs. Oregon State. She was better much better than Gulich and it wasn’t really even up for debate. Come 2018, Gulich significantly outplayed her.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom