OT: - WNBA expansion | The Boneyard

OT: WNBA expansion

Reaction Score
W commissioner suggested that they will have an expansion proposal next summer.

The Oakland arena just announced that they are going to pursue getting a WNBA team, so they'd seem like a strong contender.
I bet the league would do well in Toronto too.
Though Charlotte failed once, may be time to reconsider, esp if they could get an ex-Gamecock or two on the roster.

Given the difficulty there is for college grads to make rosters, I think the overall depth is there to support expansion. Esp with the college talent coming down the line.

Reaction Score

The Oakland arena just announced that they are going to pursue getting a WNBA team, so they'd seem like a strong contender.
Though Charlotte failed once, may be time to reconsider, esp if they could get an ex-Gamecock or two on the roster.

Given the difficulty there is for college grads to make rosters, I think the overall depth is there to support expansion. Esp with the college talent coming down the line.
The first two picks this year are riding the bench for one of the weakest teams in the league and a Freshmam was Player of the Year. Where is the talent you are talking about?

Reaction Score
Just looked at the stats of the 20 WNBA rookies. Only MacDonald and Onyenwere have had any impact at all and in both their cases it has been minimal. Not a good year for first year players.

Reaction Score
I believe several cities in Florida would be a great destination for an expansion team.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The big question is this. Does the demand support the expansion? I suspect not at this time.
The reason that the rookies aren't playing big roles is that most of the teams already have alot of very good, if not great talent. These rosters will be shaved a little with expansion, opening up spots for the new players. If we want to see our new stars of WCBB play pro, than expansion is necessary for them to show off their wares. The pre-season is too short, coming just 1 month after the end of the CBB season, and veteran players are usually late to camp, playing overseas. More teams will mean more opportunities for the youngsters, as well as the veterans trying to extend their careers. Its a win for the league as long as they can get a commitment from perspective cities.

Reaction Score
The reason that the rookies aren't playing big roles is that most of the teams already have alot of very good, if not great talent. These rosters will be shaved a little with expansion, opening up spots for the new players. If we want to see our new stars of WCBB play pro, than expansion is necessary for them to show off their wares. The pre-season is too short, coming just 1 month after the end of the CBB season, and veteran players are usually late to camp, playing overseas. More teams will mean more opportunities for the youngsters, as well as the veterans trying to extend their careers. Its a win for the league as long as they can get a commitment from perspective cities.
A lot of players like Natasha Howard when they get somewhere where they get a chance to play are good. Hines Allen is another. Right now there just aren't enough positions for players to get a chance to play.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm going off memory here but... just a few years back, wasn't the league holding on by its' proverbial fingertips from a profitability standpoint? Believe me, I'd love to see a few new teams added. There is so much talent that gets cut every year and with more and more talent coming out of HS, it's really hard to make a team.

Glad to see the Bay Area looking at adding. I am unsure why no one is pushing for Knoxville or Louisville or somewhere in Iowa - all 3 of those areas have HUGE college followings. Also, I know the Storm do well in Seattle, but what about Oregon? Is Portland close enough to Oregon and Oregon State to draw new WNBA fans from the great college fans they have up there? Maybe even a team in South Carolina - those would seem logical places to draw college fans over to the pro game.

Bottom line, expansion is a great thing if viable. Glad the league is looking into it.

Reaction Score
The big question is this. Does the demand support the expansion? I suspect not at this time.

I forget where I read it but supposedly tv ratings improved dramatically last season, almost certainly due to COVID. Now if that has translated into new fans in the seats this season as well as continued good tv ratings then perhaps expansion is warranted.

I have thought more than once the WBNA made a mistake in not awarding franchises to smaller cities that have shown strong support for women's college basketball in addition to cities with NBA franchises. To me it is be a no brainer- there is already a foundation of support to build on, instead of starting from scratch. The problem of course is finding independent ownership.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Selfishly, I would love for Charlotte to give it another go. I think if Michael Jordan could be a central part of making it happen and with the publicity behind the roll out, it could gain more momentum than it did the first time around. I'd VERY HAPPILY buy season tickets and a pass for the light rail, which stops right outside the Spectrum Center.

Reaction Score

The league has lost money every year of its existence. Are they trying to make it up in volume (an old joke).
DaffyDuck.gif

Reaction Score
I hope that the fan base has grown and can support expansion plans but I am, shall we say, skeptical.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I forget where I read it but supposedly tv ratings improved dramatically last season, almost certainly due to COVID. Now if that has translated into new fans in the seats this season as well as continued good tv ratings then perhaps expansion is warranted.

I have thought more than once the WBNA made a mistake in not awarding franchises to smaller cities that have shown strong support for women's college basketball in addition to cities with NBA franchises. To me it is be a no brainer- there is already a foundation of support to build on, instead of starting from scratch. The problem of course is finding independent ownership.
I think independent ownership is the way to go. Any WNBA team owned by an NBA team will always be the step child to that owner. The Mohegan tribe became the first independent organizational owner by buying the Connecticut Sun when they took over ownership of the Orlando Miracle. Why are these former players who made a ton of money playing in Europe not investing in the future of a thing that made them famous, and, rich. Hats off to Renee Mongomery for doing just that in Atlanta. I think the smart and financially comfortable women of the sporting world should take a chance and invest in women. Thats just my opinion.

Reaction Score
I think independent ownership is the way to go. Any WNBA team owned by an NBA team will always be the step child to that owner. The Mohegan tribe became the first independent organizational owner by buying the Connecticut Sun when they took over ownership of the Orlando Miracle. Why are these former players who made a ton of money playing in Europe not investing in the future of a thing that made them famous, and, rich. Hats off to Renee Mongomery for doing just that in Atlanta. I think the smart and financially comfortable women of the sporting world should take a chance and invest in women. Thats just my opinion.
We have no idea how much money Renee put up. Maybe zero with the Atlanta NBA team footing the bill. Do you know otherwise?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
We have no idea how much money Renee put up. Maybe zero with the Atlanta NBA team footing the bill. Do you know otherwise?
No, I don't. I just assume that all partners put up a percentage of the cost. And yes, I do know what ASSUME means.

Reaction Score

I agree 100% on independent ownership. I think one issue in the lack of independent ownership is franchise value- if you're going to put up 7-8 figures of your money to buy a franchise whether individually or as part of an ownership group you want to know there will be a solid return on your investment. I don't think owning a WNBA franchise meets that criteria- the league would fold if not for that NBA subsidy so you know few if any teams are breaking even never mind turning a profit. Starting a franchise requires even deeper pockets than buying an established team which makes a not all that attractive investment really unattractive IMO.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I agree 100% on independent ownership. I think one issue in the lack of independent ownership is franchise value- if you're going to put up 7-8 figures of your money to buy a franchise whether individually or as part of an ownership group you want to know there will be a solid return on your investment. I don't think owning a WNBA franchise meets that criteria- the league would fold if not for that NBA subsidy so you know few if any teams are breaking even never mind turning a profit. Starting a franchise requires even deeper pockets than buying an established team which makes a not all that attractive investment really unattractive IMO.
I agree about the financial viability Beem , but lets not forget that they are not buying the Yankees, or the Patriots, or the Lakers. I know I can't afford it unless I get 500 friends to go in on me (I'm out, cause I don't have 500 friends), but there are sports fans out there that want to do this, so for them the price and the location could be right.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just waiting until Paige starts using some of her future NIL money and with her friends (starting with Jalen Suggs) and admirers, successfully builds a strong financial infrastructure and creates the Boston Buckets . Then draft herself #1 and start a new dynasty. ;) ;) :cool::cool::eek::eek::):)

Reaction Score
Rancho Cucamonga/Ontario (I) would welcome a team. We already have a place for them to play!

Reaction Score
No, I don't. I just assume that all partners put up a percentage of the cost. And yes, I do know what ASSUME means.
The 2 owners besides Renee, are Larry Gottesdiener, and Suzanne Abair of Northland Investment Corp, a 10 billion dollar business. Larry was the founder, and Suzanne is the president. Quite the company.

Reaction Score
I have been saying for years that WNBA needs to expand. Now is the time to do it. There are some pretty marketable players currently and on the rise. Now is the time. Much like the NBA back in the day, they struggled with expanding and teams came and went. The WNBA has to be bold and press on. In this day and age with multiple ways of marketing teams and games, this is the time to strike.

Reaction Score
Just looked at the stats of the 20 WNBA rookies. Only MacDonald and Onyenwere have had any impact at all and in both their cases it has been minimal. Not a good year for first year players.
I am not advocating for or against expansion, but the example you give is more of an arguement for expansion. It is generally hard for new players to break into a line up their first year. We can use Young and Plum as examples. They sort of sucked it up their first year but now are making an impact. Teams tend to stick with older established players. The limited training camp and almost no preseason does not afford rookies or other players an opportunity to show what they can do. Once players are ever cut they take on the reputation as camp fodder and it becomes very difficult to make roster by a good showing in camp.

Reaction Score
Just waiting until Paige starts using some of her future NIL money and with her friends (starting with Jalen Suggs) and admirers, successfully builds a strong financial infrastructure and creates the Boston Buckets . Then draft herself #1 and start a new dynasty. ;) ;) :cool::cool::eek::eek::):)
Boston would never support Wnba team, listening to Wffeei I believe Boston radio station and a caller calls in to talk about wbb and the host says " we don't talk wbb here"

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Boston would never support Wnba team, listening to Wffeei I believe Boston radio station and a caller calls in to talk about wbb and the host says " we don't talk wbb here"
I am sure that would happen in NYC as well. I am actually surprised your example made it through the call screener

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom