WNBA draft results | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA draft results

Reaction Score
January, Bird, and Prince have logged a lot of miles over the years. They might well need a younger guard, just for some insurance. Stewie/Magbegor, Russell/Cunane, Gabby/Talbot, Jewel/Prince, Bird/January. That leaves two spots. Maybe one big and one small. Herbert-Harrigan (who's not listed on the roster) and Burke might well compete for the forward, leaving Evina a shot at the guard. She could do it!
Burke, and Herbert-Harrigan didn't play much last year, chances are they won't make it through training camp. They drafted the 19 year old Australian National team point guard probably for next year, when Sue retires.

Reaction Score
this was the most unpredictable draft I can recall, honestly if you had told me Hillmon and Cunane woulda gone mid 2nd rd I would be in aew and it happened. I don't get it, is the Wnba becoming a wing and guard league more than ever? Really seemed like a lot of teams just passed on size, and even some of the size players went to teams that already have size. Olivia to sparks makes really no sense to me, they didn't need a big. At that point they were just drafting to draft. Same with Westbrook, Seattle has plenty of guards. I think Christyn might make the team, but if she doesn't make Washington some other team will pick her up. I feel for the girls tho that declared their eligiblity only to be taken 2nd rd. I wonder if they wish they cameback.

Reaction Score
Christyn went to a really good organization. Tibeault loves him some UConn alums. Good luck to her.

E to Seattle likewise.

LA has been a hot mess the last few years, but hopefully that is straightening out.
Tibeault does like to draft players from UConn. I remember him saying that UConn players are “plug and play”.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It's a deep class but I think it will be tough for a lot of draftees to make a roster. I think anyone outside of the top 5 is at risk of getting cut. For example, you look at a player like Veronica Burton at 7...she's a good player but is headed to Dallas where she'll be competing with Ty Harris and Moriah Jefferson, plus they have Arike/Marina Mabrey who play PG as needed too. And last year's #5 pick, Chelsea Dungee will fight for her life to keep a roster spot. The front court has an overwhelming number of former top 5 picks too with Collier (1), McCowan (3), Kuier (2), Sabally (2), and Harrison. Plus there would've been Alarie (former #5 pick) who decided to sit out this year.

Rae Burrell at 9 is also tough. She didn't play at a WNBA caliber level this year but if she can play like she did as a junior, she could stick. Might be too big of a turnaround to expect over a month long period though.

I find Egbo/Hull as compelling picks but could see both getting cut. I hope the league expands in the next couple of years--there's a lot of big name star power entering the league the next couple of drafts and a ton of talented kids who we'll miss out on seeing. In today's day and age there is enough talent to field 16 strong teams.

Reaction Score
Just read the Seattle times article about Seattle’s draft picks… Head Coach Noelle Quinn said they’re likely to start the season with 11 players so there’s 6 players (Cunane, Westbrook, Melbourne, Manis, Herbert-Harrigan, and Prince) fighting for one spot. They have 6 guaranteed contracts and she said Magbegor, Burke, Talbot, and Lavender all figure prominently for them. I thought I also read that Prince is retiring after this season so she probably has the inside track on that last spot but here’s hoping Mama E gets it!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just read the Seattle times article about Seattle’s draft picks… Head Coach Noelle Quinn said they’re likely to start the season with 11 players so there’s 6 players (Cunane, Westbrook, Melbourne, Manis, Herbert-Harrigan, and Prince) fighting for one spot. They have 6 guaranteed contracts and she said Magbegor, Burke, Talbot, and Lavender all figure prominently for them. I thought I also read that Prince is retiring after this season so she probably has the inside track on that last spot but here’s hoping Mama E gets it!
Prediction: Evina has a solid WNBA career, great European career, and is a college coaching star. Her knee will likely slow down and reduce her pro career but her diverse skills and knowledge will be great assets for the future whatever she chooses.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It's a deep class but I think it will be tough for a lot of draftees to make a roster. I think anyone outside of the top 5 is at risk of getting cut. For example, you look at a player like Veronica Burton at 7...she's a good player but is headed to Dallas where she'll be competing with Ty Harris and Moriah Jefferson, plus they have Arike/Marina Mabrey who play PG as needed too. And last year's #5 pick, Chelsea Dungee will fight for her life to keep a roster spot. The front court has an overwhelming number of former top 5 picks too with Collier (1), McCowan (3), Kuier (2), Sabally (2), and Harrison. Plus there would've been Alarie (former #5 pick) who decided to sit out this year.

Rae Burrell at 9 is also tough. She didn't play at a WNBA caliber level this year but if she can play like she did as a junior, she could stick. Might be too big of a turnaround to expect over a month long period though.

I find Egbo/Hull as compelling picks but could see both getting cut. I hope the league expands in the next couple of years--there's a lot of big name star power entering the league the next couple of drafts and a ton of talented kids who we'll miss out on seeing. In today's day and age there is enough talent to field 16 strong teams.

Good post. There are just so few spots available ... and the percentages keep dropping for a chance of sticking, let alone succeeding, for so many talented athletes.
Just a few thoughts on a few of your insights (and another...):

- Vickie Johnson is a defensive-minded coach with a lot of offensive-driven guards.
Burton led the country in steals per game for the second straight year. She is the only player to average three steals a game each of the last three seasons. Seems like Vickie wrote Burton's name on this envelope. If I'm Dungee, I'd really be bending those knees and sliding those feet.

- Indiana seems to be one of those teams that can handle a number of the picks sticking. Hull can add long-range shooting and, if memory serves, she's pretty good at stealing the ball, too.
i
Egbo's known for her defense and rebounding, but Her Hoop Stats points out that she "has made exactly half of her two-pointers both this season and last."

- Brittany Griner's detainment in Russia might open a temporary slot for one of the forwards Phoenix drafted: Maya Dodson or Macee Williams. Hopefully, it won't come to that.

- Of the three UConn players, I think Ms. Williams is in the best possible position with the Mystics. Coach Thibault usually knows what he's after and he mentioned Williams' defense and knowing when not to (try to) score. She can learn and contribute when needed.

Reaction Score
Tibeault does like to draft players from UConn. I remember him saying that UConn players are “plug and play”.
That was Cheryl Miller not Thibault...

Reaction Score
The drafting of Cunane, one of the premier posts in college basketball late in the second round was very surprising. Anything wrong that I/we don't know? I'm shocked.
she's not all that athletic and has had some consistency issues but players that big with some skills are not that easy to come by.......Hillman is simply a tweener......great effort player but not sure how effective she will be at the pro level.....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The drafting of Cunane, one of the premier posts in college basketball late in the second round was very surprising. Anything wrong that I/we don't know? I'm shocked.
Cunane has always struck me as a solid, workmanlike player, but not an exceptionally athletic post. She will be going up against great post players every night in the W. Cunane is very similar to Iowa’s Megan Gustafson, the 2019 NPOY, who was drafted in the 2nd round by Dallas, 17th overall, but was then released prior to the start of the season. Subsequently Dallas resigned her, released her again after the 2020 season, and then she was signed by Washington.

If Cunane is lucky, she will be a capable reserve in the W, like Gustafson. But I don’t see her becoming a starting post for any team on a regular basis.

Reaction Score
Westbrook and ONO are preseason cuts. Not enough open slots. WNBA is almost a closed shop. Both will find success in life. Westbrook will turn to a media career. Liv will play overseas...

Reaction Score
I didn't really pay attention to the draft overall but believe it's a pretty shallow one for impact players. The competition for roster spots is so tough and the talent pool seems to get deeper each year. When I say shallow, I just think of how many of these players could realistically make a roster and stick. The top 4/5 players will get opportunities but beyond that I just don't see much room to hang around.

Indiana to me drafted some weird players again. The Fever will again be win challenged but maybe Dunn can put some stability on the franchise.

Reaction Score
she's not all that athletic and has had some consistency issues but players that big with some skills are not that easy to come by.......Hillman is simply a tweener......great effort player but not sure how effective she will be at the pro level.....
A bit surprised as well. She does most things well, but nothing exceptionally...and I am not sure she can guard most WNBA post players. Rebuilding teams with the early picks are likely looking for individuals that can take over a game...or at least change its' trajectory. I thought she might go to Indiana, which needed help at the 4 and 5 and had the 2, 4, 6 and 10 picks. Instead they went with kids (women) with high motors that can run and play defense. Smith, Engstler, Hull and Ebo.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Cunane has always struck me as a solid, workmanlike player, but not an exceptionally athletic post. She will be going up against great post players every night in the W. Cunane is very similar to Iowa’s Megan Gustafson, the 2019 NPOY, who was drafted in the 2nd round by Dallas, 17th overall, but was then released prior to the start of the season. Subsequently Dallas resigned her, released her again after the 2020 season, and then she was signed by Washington.

If Cunane is lucky, she will be a capable reserve in the W, like Gustafson. But I don’t see her becoming a starting post for any team on a regular basis.

Gustafson is more like a last off the bench reserve than a rotation player. Cunane is a better prospect. She's taller, longer, and a much better defender even if Gustafson is better offensively. She negated Aliyah Boston in both matchups the last 2 years which no one else has done. That said, I don't think Cunane will ever be more than a backup post. She's solid in most areas but exceptional in none. Should be a serviceable backup and have an opportunity over the next couple of seasons to prove if she's capable of sticking in the league.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Gustafson is more like a last off the bench reserve than a rotation player. Cunane is a better prospect. She's taller, longer, and a much better defender even if Gustafson is better offensively. She negated Aliyah Boston in both matchups the last 2 years which no one else has done. That said, I don't think Cunane will ever be more than a backup post. She's solid in most areas but exceptional in none. Should be a serviceable backup and have an opportunity over the next couple of seasons to prove if she's capable of sticking in the league.
This speaks to the fact that the W is the most elite WBB league in the world. With only 144 players, it takes tremendous talent to earn a roster spot, and even greater talent to stick. Great UConn players like KML, Lou, Gabby and others have only been able to establish themselves as role players, fighting every season to stay in the league.

Reaction Score
She gives Seattle another big body inside, and a center who can score, which Russell doesn't do. It also allows Ezi to play more with Stewie, and not worry about picking up fouls.
It also should allow Stewie to sit more, and not get worn down like last year.
Evina might end up making the team as a backup to Loyd, she gives Seattle size st the guard spot.
I wouldn't expect Melbourne to come until next year, just as Ezi didn't come until a year later. She is on the Opals national team, and they host the World Cup this year. I'm sure Seattle talked to Laureen before they made the pick.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She gives Seattle another big body inside, and a center who can score, which Russell doesn't do. It also allows Ezi to play more with Stewie, and not worry about picking up fouls.
It also should allow Stewie to sit more, and not get worn down like last year.
Evina might end up making the team as a backup to Loyd, she gives Seattle size st the guard spot.
I wouldn't expect Melbourne to come until next year, just as Ezi didn't come until a year later. She is on the Opals national team, and they host the World Cup this year. I'm sure Seattle talked to Laureen before they made the pick.
and when Sue retires and Stewie comes to the Liberty with Dolson, more room. :D

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Hmmm. Being an ND fan, I watch a lot of ACC Basketball and that includes NC State and Cunane.
I'm not shocked that she wasn't drafted in the 5-6-7 range, but am a bit surprised that she lasted into the 2nd.
  • While she's not a stellar athlete, she's not a plough horse, by any means. She can get up and down the court and I've seen her hit the floor for loose balls...and come away with them, then get on her feet and hustle the other way.
  • oldude. The Gustafson analogy is interesting, perhaps, in that the results might be the same, but I think they're different. Gustafson was a back to the basket post player that Jan Jensen developed at Iowa, She needed to expand her range and develop some attack modes from mid-range. The fact that Thibault has resigned her shows me she's made progress.

As Charliebball points out. Cunane has special skills on the offensive end. Like Megan G, she can seal and get off a positively lethal hook. However, she can also drill the mid-range jump and even the three. That helps big time.

If she can work on her agility and defensive help skills, she could spell Mercedes Russell, another center who improved in the pro's.

It might not be with Seattle (a la Gustafson, this could take a few tries), but I think she'll stick at some point. 6'5" with skills, smarts and good attitude. We'll see.

Reaction Score
upick.u
and when Sue retires and Stewie comes to the Liberty with Dolson, more room. :D
Actually Stewie is about championships, and with the additions and youth Seattle has accumulated, I believe Stewie will stay in Seattle. Prince, January retire along with Sue. Westbrook will be a good backup, Melbourne is a great young PG, playing alongside Loyd will ease the transition.
Sue might stay one more year to help or be an assistant.

Reaction Score
Cunene can maybe be a better 4 in the pros than a post. She has skill and can shoot an outside shot. She’s fairly mobile but maybe that’s the biggest problem. I can see her as part of a 2 big lineup. When someone achieves at her level of excellence they are a good investment going forward.

The league is probably due for an expansion probably even next year. There is money to be made.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom