WNBA Draft Lottery will take place on Sept. 17 on ESPN2 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA Draft Lottery will take place on Sept. 17 on ESPN2

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if Ionescu balks at playing in New York. Similar to Tina Charles and DelaDonne forcing trades. It will be interesting.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She should consider it a real opportunity. Biggest market, talent on the team, hopefully new arena & new coach - sounds like a draftee's dream scenario to me.

and she is not afraid of taking on a challenge and pushing a program (team) forward. If they play at Barclays, just going to get my season passes once the ink is dry

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if Ionescu balks at playing in New York. Similar to Tina Charles and DelaDonne forcing trades. It will be interesting.

What better market is there than maybe LA? If she drops to #2 she's playing in Dallas, if she drops to 3 she is in Indiana. Not the best slew of options....

bballnut90

Reaction Score
So, the New York Liberty will get to ride their probable move into Brooklyn's Barclay Center with Sabrina Ionescu riding the wave with Tina Charles, Kia Nurse and Asia Durr.

And Lauren Cox probably gets to continue her Texas-centric hoops career in Dallas. I think that's a solid pairing with Izzy Harrison and hopefully Megan Gustafson and Azura Stevens can add expanded service off the bench.

Things get interesting with the other lottery picks: #3 (Indiana Fever) and #4 picks (Atlanta Dream).
Based on gut feelings and a fleeting glance of their respective teams' stat sheets:

- Indiana has a phenom center (McCowan) and a slew of guards, from Wheeler and the Mitchells to youngsters Paris Kea and Kennedy Burke. Up front, Candace Dupree averaged double figures at forward, but she just finished her 13th (?) year. Wil the new Indiana Fever coach and Tamika Catchings decide to move on and/or go young up front?

Someone pointed out that McCowan is used to playing down low by herself (no twin tower approach) so would Ruthie Hebard and or Beatrice Mompremier get in the same space as McCowan? Maybe a complementary player is best here: Can Bella Alarie -- with her diverse offensive skill set -- be the right way go? Her ability to play offense around the edges and help on the boards on defense could be intriguing.

If one wants to go small forward, Maryland's Kaila Charles at 6'1"?

- Atlanta needs scoring up front. I like the effort(s) Elizabeth Williams brings day-in and day-out but she's not a consistent scorer. I could see Ruthie Hebard going here, joining up with former Oregon guard Maite Cazorla. And if Indiana goes with Charles or somone else, Alarie could certainly be used here.

(And a 2nd cup of coffee thought: KLS could bring value as a 3, both at Indiana and/or Atlanta. Trade talk?)

Will ponder the rest of the league as the playoff ends and see some more of the draft-eligible players.

Whoever got picks 3 and 4 were screwed big time unless Sabally comes out, which I dont see happening with her younger sister sitting out this year again. 1 and 2 are no brainers, but after that it is incredibly tricky. Both Hebard and Mompremier were likely late 1st or 2nd round picks if they came out this year and neither is ideal for Indiana. Alarie could be a good choice, but I dont like the idea of KLS when you already have Vivians who is a proven commodity filling that exact role. And honestly, KLS may lose a lot of her trade value thanks to her overbearing mother.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
She should consider it a real opportunity. Biggest market, talent on the team, hopefully new arena & new coach - sounds like a draftee's dream scenario to me.
My thinking is that she would want to stay on the West Coast, closer to home. That would make Seattle the best choice. ( Maybe Los Angeles.) It all depends on how important that is to her. If it doesn't happen her rookie, year, I think it will happen at some point in her career.

Reaction Score
Alarie could prove to be the 2nd best player in the class, I wouldn’t be shocked to see her go in the top 4.

Reaction Score
Whoever got picks 3 and 4 were screwed big time unless Sabally comes out, which I dont see happening with her younger sister sitting out this year again. 1 and 2 are no brainers, but after that it is incredibly tricky. Both Hebard and Mompremier were likely late 1st or 2nd round picks if they came out this year and neither is ideal for Indiana. Alarie could be a good choice, but I dont like the idea of KLS when you already have Vivians who is a proven commodity filling that exact role. And honestly, KLS may lose a lot of her trade value thanks to her overbearing mother.
Chennedy Carter would be my pick for the Fever if she decides to come out early.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen her play, but I need to. I remember her father at Duke.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Snippet from a year end wrap up story in the Athletic. Besides the obligatory praise about Napheesa (and Dantis), it goes into the strengths and weaknesses going forward.

Where the Lynx stand: Napheesa Collier recasts the...

Sims’ and Robinsons’ futures in Minnesota won’t be solely contingent on their performances in Seattle, but Reeve and her staff will have to evaluate who they want leading their offense going forward.

The Lynx finished with an offensive rating of 98.8 at the end of the 2019 regular season, which was a slight decline from their 100.8 rating in 2018, but their real offensive troubles came from an added 2 turnovers per game.

It’s unlikely that the Lynx will be able to find a reliable point guard with their No. 6 pick in the 2020 draft:mad: though they found a pretty darn good player this year at No. 6 — but adding a capable ball-handler who excels at making entry passes into the post should be a priority for the Lynx in free agency.

“We’re open to change,” Reeve said. “That’s probably the best way to say it. We’re not going to be afraid to get involved (in free agency) and see what’s available.”

I suppose they may make a run on Crystal at #6? but Crystal will probably need to up her game to another level. But Reeve does love UConn products.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

This draft is definitely not going to be the deepest (to put it lightly), but we'll see if any seniors step up this year and play themselves into obvious top 5 picks. I'm not thinking there are hidden Arike/Collier/McCowans/Durrs out there, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are hidden Alisha Grey (#4 pick), Ariel Atkins (a #7 pick), Vivians (#8) or Kia Nurse (#10)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Snippet from a year end wrap up story in the Athletic. Besides the obligatory praise about Napheesa (and Dantis), it goes into the strengths and weaknesses going forward.

Where the Lynx stand: Napheesa Collier recasts the...

Sims’ and Robinsons’ futures in Minnesota won’t be solely contingent on their performances in Seattle, but Reeve and her staff will have to evaluate who they want leading their offense going forward.

The Lynx finished with an offensive rating of 98.8 at the end of the 2019 regular season, which was a slight decline from their 100.8 rating in 2018, but their real offensive troubles came from an added 2 turnovers per game.

It’s unlikely that the Lynx will be able to find a reliable point guard with their No. 6 pick in the 2020 draft:mad: though they found a pretty darn good player this year at No. 6 — but adding a capable ball-handler who excels at making entry passes into the post should be a priority for the Lynx in free agency.

“We’re open to change,” Reeve said. “That’s probably the best way to say it. We’re not going to be afraid to get involved (in free agency) and see what’s available.”

I suppose they may make a run on Crystal at #6? but Crystal will probably need to up her game to another level. But Reeve does love UConn products.

One of the many areas where Maya is missed. She was a terrific passer and her post-entry passes from the wing were second to none. She had a lot of practice at UConn getting the ball to Tina Charles.

I don't know who's the answer at the point for the Lynx but if Robinson is the starting point guard next season I may need to reconsider being a Lynx fan. Her decision-making and floor leadership make my head hurt.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Chennedy Carter would be my pick for the Fever if she decides to come out early.

Carter has so many red flags with her style of play....not sure having her, both Mitchells and Wheeler makes a lot of sense. Haven't seen a ton of her but Alarie would likely be my pick if Satou isn't eligible. Guessing Carter sticks around all 4 years, too, but we'll see.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
This draft is definitely not going to be the deepest (to put it lightly), but we'll see if any seniors step up this year and play themselves into obvious top 5 picks. I'm not thinking there are hidden Arike/Collier/McCowans/Durrs out there, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are hidden Alisha Grey (#4 pick), Ariel Atkins (a #7 pick), Vivians (#8) or Kia Nurse (#10)

Out of the 4 listed, I think Atkins was the only "hidden" pick. Gray was the 4th overall pick and in many mocks going as high as 2. Vivians was a 1st Team All American and sure fire solid pick, and Kia Nurse everyone knew would be a solid defender/utility player but surprised people with her scoring prowess. Slocum, Charles, Hebard and Mompremier are intriguing to me but I see this being a weak class outside of the top 2.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
By "hidden" I mean going into their senior years, no one would have necessarily pegged these women as being sure fire WNBA contributors. I'll give you that Vivians was already fairly hyped going into her senior year, but I'm pretty sure Grey, Atkins, Nurse never made any All American teams above HM. I would put Slocum/Charles/Hebard/Monpremier all around their levels heading into their senior years (and others of course may get there too).

Reaction Score
Carter has so many red flags with her style of play....not sure having her, both Mitchells and Wheeler makes a lot of sense. Haven't seen a ton of her but Alarie would likely be my pick if Satou isn't eligible. Guessing Carter sticks around all 4 years, too, but we'll see.
Carter flaws are, IMO, associated with trying to do too much and getting flustered when she can not carry the load for the whole team. Again, IMO, Coach Blair has contributed to Carter’s problem by allowing that situation to continue to exist. Chennedy, IMO, would have progressed as a player much better under a coach like Geno or Vic. I realize Blair is a Texas A&M icon but I believe he has not allowed Carter to be all she can be and as such I think she will be a better Pro than collegiate player.

Reaction Score
My thinking is that she would want to stay on the West Coast, closer to home. That would make Seattle the best choice. ( Maybe Los Angeles.) It all depends on how important that is to her. If it doesn't happen her rookie, year, I think it will happen at some point in her career.

Pretty sure Las Vegas or Los Angeles is the closest to her family, and she could have gone to Vegas if she would have entered the 2019 draft.

Reaction Score
Lauren Cox is not that great. Her game needs a lot of work

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom