WNBA Draft Lottery will take place on Sept. 17 on ESPN2 | The Boneyard

WNBA Draft Lottery will take place on Sept. 17 on ESPN2

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
WNBA Draft Lottery 2020 will be conducted on Tuesday, Sept. 17 in Secaucus, N.J., the WNBA announced today.

ESPN2 will televise the WNBA Draft Lottery during halftime of its telecast of Game 1 of a Semifinals series between the Connecticut Sun and a yet-to-be-determined opponent, with the playoff game tipping off at 6:30 p.m. ET. WNBA Head of League Operations Bethany Donaphin will reveal the results of the Lottery during ESPN2’s coverage, which will be hosted by John Brickley.

Post edit - The New York Liberty have secured the top pick in WNBA Draft 2020 which will be held next April. Remaining draft order results: 2nd - Dallas Wings - 3rd - Indiana Fever - 4th Atlanta Dream.

WNBA mock draft: Oregon's Ionescu is projected No. 1 pick

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is definitely a year where getting the third pick versus the first or second makes a big difference.

The 2019 draft appeared pretty deep to the point where the top-6 teams all had a good option, it was just a matter of who needed what and who was left.

I think there is a definite drop-off after Cox and Ionescu. A future of McCowan and Ionescu for the Fever, along with Vivians, Mitchell, and a few other younger key pieces, will be very good. It would definitely be interesting to see Cox play with McCowan. I think McCowan does better when she is the center of attention.

Reaction Score
I hope Sabrina ends up at Indiana, and Cox ends up at Dallas. I think the Liberty have the best chance to get the top pick, but I hope they don't get it.

I think Sabrina would be a better fit in New York or Atlanta, Indy seems set in the back court, bringing in a promising rookie could shake things up in a bad way.

Reaction Score
If New York does get the 1st pick it would be a toss up of who they choose. They’ve spoken of needing more defensive bigs, but if Kiah Stokes comes back they have that in her. On the other hand, NY has struggled to find a consistent point guard. Boyd and Hartley seem to be opposites—if one has a good game, the other has a mediocre or bad game. Sabrina could fix that AND could provide a legit scoring threat outside of Charles. If Nurse becomes more consistent with scoring the Liberty could have a formidable team in the near future.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Anyone know the odds for each team? Just curious.

Reaction Score
If I had to pick right now as GM on any team, I would take Sabrina, whether I need a center or forward. Sabrina is a once a decade player. Cox is fantastic too, but there is only one Sabrina.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Anyone know the odds for each team? Just curious.

Details of the WNBA draft odds

WNBA Draft Lottery Presented By State Farm To Take Place on Sept. 17 on ESPN2 - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Reaction Score
I think Sabrina would be a better fit in New York or Atlanta, Indy seems set in the back court, bringing in a promising rookie could shake things up in a bad way.
New York needs all the help they can get. IMO the most important thing they need is a new coach. Smith has ran that program to the ground. If they get a new coach, then I won't mind Sabrina going over there.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If New York does get the 1st pick it would be a toss up of who they choose. They’ve spoken of needing more defensive bigs, but if Kiah Stokes comes back they have that in her. On the other hand, NY has struggled to find a consistent point guard. Boyd and Hartley seem to be opposites—if one has a good game, the other has a mediocre or bad game. Sabrina could fix that AND could provide a legit scoring threat outside of Charles. If Nurse becomes more consistent with scoring the Liberty could have a formidable team in the near future.

Sabrina is 100% the correct pick for NYL. Boyd and Hartley have proven they are not good enough to be starters IMO. Keep one of them and make them a backup to Sabrina and build your team around Ionescu/Charles. They have a good young wing trio in Nurse/Durr/Johannes. Salary cap should be low and I doubt they have a hard time attracting a solid forward or center to play alongside Tina inside. Maybe try to get one of Vadeeva/Brown from LA for Hartley and a future pick?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
If I had to pick right now as GM on any team, I would take Sabrina, whether I need a center or forward. Sabrina is a once a decade player. Cox is fantastic too, but there is only one Sabrina.

In the last decade I'd argue that EDD/Moore/Stewart/Griner were all superior prospects to Sabrina. Sabrina will be great, but if I'm Dallas and I get the #1 pick, I'd take Cox over her based on need and the fact that Cox is immediately going to be one of the best defensive centers in the league. The drop off after those 2 is massive IMO.

Reaction Score
Sabrina to Indiana would make them instant contenders. They need a facilitator with decent size.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Sabrina to Indiana would make them instant contenders. They need a facilitator with decent size.

I think Sabrina will take time to adjust to the league, but give it a year or two and I agree. The emphasis on perimeter shooters and better spacing in the pros fits her style of play quite well. Give it two years and Ionescu/McCowan might be one of the best inside out duos in the league. Plus they have the Mitchells on the wing, Vivians is lethal too and Wheeler is still relatively young and a very good PG. Cox or Ionescu would be a great fit, they just need to land a top 2 pick.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

NY is one of the 4 WNBA teams I follow and root for (LA, LV, Dallas). I would love to see Ionescu go to the Liberty. She would be an instant upgrade to their roster. She’ll be a team leader no matter where she goes.

Reaction Score
In the last decade I'd argue that EDD/Moore/Stewart/Griner were all superior prospects to Sabrina. Sabrina will be great, but if I'm Dallas and I get the #1 pick, I'd take Cox over her based on need and the fact that Cox is immediately going to be one of the best defensive centers in the league. The drop off after those 2 is massive IMO.
No point in arguing, I respectfully disagree that Sabrina won't have the same impact on WNBA that EDD/Moore/Stewart/Griner have had on WNBA. Re: the draft, not sure how drafting/trading work in WNBA, but I would draft Sabrina even if I was desperate for a BIG. Sabrina is great trade bait, and a team will get what they need by trading Sabrina.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
No point in arguing, I respectfully disagree that Sabrina won't have the same impact on WNBA that EDD/Moore/Stewart/Griner have had on WNBA. Re: the draft, not sure how drafting/trading work in WNBA, but I would draft Sabrina even if I was desperate for a BIG. Sabrina is great trade bait, and a team will get what they need by trading Sabrina.

Argue might not have been the best word, just offering a different opinion. As unique as Sabrina is, I think Cox is also incredibly unique. She's probably the best defensive post prospect since Griner and offensively she's as flexible as they come. She fits in well alongside any other post because she is equally effective on the block or out of the high post. She isnt afraid of contact and has exceptional vision and passing skills. Her midrange isnt great but most posts develop perimeter shooting skills once they're in the league. She isnt a 20ppg scorer but she will be effective wherever she ends up and should pair quite well alongside any star players.

Sabrina would be the first pick for all teams but Dallas. At Dallas they already have 3 very highly touted players who've played PG, and particularly Arike/Diggins are ball dominant. Sabrina is very ball dominant herself and i dont see any way those three plus Jefferson will work well together on the court, especially without a good post inside. Cox fits in perfectly to Dallas and you can build on Arike's strides this past year and the return of Diggins. Honestly they should trade Jefferson for maybe one of LA's posts or another strong forward and they have a very good core to build around. Just my 2 cents.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Cox's Diabetes may impact how high she is selected in the Draft. Cox will go in the lottery, but I'm not sure by the end of the College Season that she'll be one of the Top 4 Players.

Reaction Score
Of course it is. Total nonsense.

She'll be the first post player taken in the draft.

I mean she's missed 2 games out of 100 at Baylor due to diabetes....Yet, let's not take the best 4/5 in the Draft, because that is is a huge concern. Missing 2% is just a huge red flag.....

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
On the basis of pure need, one could argue that Cox is a better fit for Dallas (who has very good scoring PGs aleady) and Indiana (imagine a McCowan/Cox front court defensively, my GOD), while Ionescu is a better fit for Atlanta (who has no pure PG or anyone who averaged more than 3apg this year), while NY could honestly use both (Ionescu would likely be an upgrade over Boyd/Hartley at PG, and Cox would make a solid post rotation with Charles/Zahui/Stokes).

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
So, the New York Liberty will get to ride their probable move into Brooklyn's Barclay Center with Sabrina Ionescu riding the wave with Tina Charles, Kia Nurse and Asia Durr.

And Lauren Cox probably gets to continue her Texas-centric hoops career in Dallas. I think that's a solid pairing with Izzy Harrison and hopefully Megan Gustafson and Azura Stevens can add expanded service off the bench.

Things get interesting with the other lottery picks: #3 (Indiana Fever) and #4 picks (Atlanta Dream).
Based on gut feelings and a fleeting glance of their respective teams' stat sheets:

- Indiana has a phenom center (McCowan) and a slew of guards, from Wheeler and the Mitchells to youngsters Paris Kea and Kennedy Burke. Up front, Candace Dupree averaged double figures at forward, but she just finished her 13th (?) year. Wil the new Indiana Fever coach and Tamika Catchings decide to move on and/or go young up front?

Someone pointed out that McCowan is used to playing down low by herself (no twin tower approach) so would Ruthie Hebard and or Beatrice Mompremier get in the same space as McCowan? Maybe a complementary player is best here: Can Bella Alarie -- with her diverse offensive skill set -- be the right way go? Her ability to play offense around the edges and help on the boards on defense could be intriguing.

If one wants to go small forward, Maryland's Kaila Charles at 6'1"?

- Atlanta needs scoring up front. I like the effort(s) Elizabeth Williams brings day-in and day-out but she's not a consistent scorer. I could see Ruthie Hebard going here, joining up with former Oregon guard Maite Cazorla. And if Indiana goes with Charles or somone else, Alarie could certainly be used here.

(And a 2nd cup of coffee thought: KLS could bring value as a 3, both at Indiana and/or Atlanta. Trade talk?)

Will ponder the rest of the league as the playoff ends and see some more of the draft-eligible players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, the New York Liberty will get to ride their probable move into Brooklyn's Barclay Center with Sabrina Ionescu riding the wave with Tina Charles, Kia Nurse and Asia Durr.

And Lauren Cox probably gets to continue her Texas-centric hoops career in Dallas. I think that's a solid pairing with Izzy Harrison and hopefully Megan Gustafson and Azura Stevens can add expanded service off the bench.

Things get interesting with the other lottery picks: #3 (Indiana Fever) and #4 picks (Atlanta Dream).
Based on gut feelings and a fleeting glance of their respective teams' stat sheets:

- Indiana has a phenom center (McCowan) and a slew of guards, from Wheeler and the Mitchells to youngsters Paris Kea and Kennedy Burke. Up front, Candace Dupree averaged double figures at forward, but she just finished her 13th (?) year. Wil the new Indiana Fever coach and Tamika Catchings decide to move on and/or go young up front?

Someone pointed out that McCowan is used to playing down low by herself (no twin tower approach) so would Ruthie Hebard and or Beatrice Mompremier get in the same space as McCowan? Maybe a complementary player is best here: Can Bella Alarie -- with her diverse offensive skill set -- be the right way go? Her ability to play offense around the edges and help on the boards on defense could be intriguing.

If one wants to go small forward, Maryland's Kaila Charles at 6'1"?

- Atlanta needs scoring up front. I like the effort(s) Elizabeth Williams brings day-in and day-out but she's not a consistent scorer. I could see Ruthie Hebard going here, joining up with former Oregon guard Maite Cazorla. And if Indiana goes with Charles or somone else, Alarie could certainly be used here.

(And a 2nd cup of coffee thought: KLS could bring value as a 3, both at Indiana and/or Atlanta. Trade talk?)

Will ponder the rest of the league as the playoff ends and see some more of the draft-eligible players.
McCowan is best with a four that can play the wing as well, which is why I think if she elects, Sabally would be a terrific fit there. Don't forget they also have Victoria Vivians who averaged 9 PPG on 40-40-90 shooting percentages.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom