WNBA Draft 2019

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
1. Las Vegas Aces
2. New York Liberty
3. Indiana Fever
4. Chicago Sky

I am shocked...i thought for sure it would be the Fever...

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
.....still shocked.....

That will be 3 straight years for the franchise! WOW!!!!

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
ESPN talked about the 5 potential #1 picks and they were....

Arike Ogbunwale
Teaira McGowan
Asia Durr
Kalana Brown
KLS

Reaction Score
ESPN talked about the 5 potential #1 picks and they were....

Arike Ogbunwale
Teaira McGowan
Asia Durr
Kalana Brown
KLS

And said Durr was the best prospect in the draft

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Forgot Lottery is at half time. The fix is in. Las Vegas is the darling of the WNBA so they will win top pick.

No surprise to me. I called it. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Exact wording used was "might have the highest potential". No clear cut best prospect.

Reaction Score
I can't believe when the Aces coach was asked about the players to think about he didn't even mention KLS or Collier.....what a joke. The Aces could use a 3 or 4 to complement Wilson since they have good guards already... and theybpay these people salaries?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I can't believe when the Aces coach was asked about the players to think about he didn't even mention KLS or Collier.....what a joke. The Aces could use a 3 or 4 to complement Wilson since they have good guards already... and theybpay these people salaries?

Lambeer will go after a Center. That is his DNA and the Aces biggest need. Swords should be a backup.

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if the aces end up picking first. This is a great opportunity to get a proven player and lower pick in a pretty deep draft. Could make them a title contender next season if they could pick up players to upgrade the 3 & 5 positions.

I don’t see the two big posts in this draft being major impact players in the WNBA. Not sure they have the speed.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Huge break for the Aces...they are going to be very very good next year. What's really interesting about these picks is it doesn't really work out to be super ideal for any team. You look at Vegas and they could use help on the Wing, but I can't imagine they'll pass on both McCowan/Brown for KLS at 1. They'd be fine taking any of KLS/McCowan/Brown. Liberty are a mess and should go for best available which likely means the other of Brown/McCowan. Indiana has invested in their guards/wings the last couple of drafts and could use a good PG or a good big, but they likely miss out on both Brown/McCowan. Sky also desperately need help inside but the drop off after Brown/McCowan is massive for posts and neither will be available at 4.

Right now I'd guess the draft will be:
1. Brown-projects to fit alongside A'ja better than McCowan. Bill loves his bigs.

2. McCowan-more upside with her than KLS. Gives the Libs a strong post presence inside and her game can compliment Tina's well.

3. Collier-Indiana really doesn't need any 2/3 players which is exactly how KLS projects. Collier looks like the best PF prospect with her length, athleticism and ability to finish.

4. Another team that really doesn't need KLS, Durr or Ogunbowale with Williams, Deshields and Quigley, so I'm not sure where they go from here if Collier and both posts are off the table. Might be worth shopping the pick for an athletic big from Atlanta or Connecticut. Atlanta needs better 3pt shooting so KLS fits in well there, and KLS would be a big upgrade from Stricklen at Connecticut.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

I just don't see it at all. She's a good scorer but doesn't seem to bring much else to the table. She's taller than Ogunbowale, but Arike's a better rebounder and a better creator. Better A/TO than Durr too. Arike's decision making and shot selection has improved, and she has the clutch gene which can't be overvalued.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Las Vegas got really lucky, and Indy was very unlucky.

Bill Laimbeer mentioned the bigs, Brown and McCowan, Durr, and "the N.D. guard." Maybe he doesn't know how to pronounce "Ogunbowale."

Curt Miller in the studio listed Durr, saying she could be a franchise player. He also noted Brown, McCowan, and Ogunbowale. The last player he mentioned was Lou, saying if a team needs a shooter, she is the first name. As Geno and Doug discuss, it's called BASKET-ball. Who puts the ball in the basket better than Lou?

I think any team that passes up Lou or Pheesa will regret it.

The draft will depend on who comes out early (Ionescu?) and what foreigners are interested (Magbegor?). There may not be much difference among the top 6-8 players.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Another thought—if Ionescu comes out, she’d likely go #1 and would make the #1 pick that much more coveted even though Vegas really doesn’t need her with Plum/Jefferson. Vegas could probably trade the top pick to Indiana for #3 and also get Vivians (or Dupree), making their starting lineup:
Plum/Jefferson
McBride
Vivians
Wilson
Brown/McCowan

Or:
Plum/Jefferson
McBride
KLS
Dupree
Wilson

Both of those would be VERY dangerous lineups.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
I have said it multiple times and i will again....

I think trades will be huge this draft. Yes--McGowan and Brown are 6'7 and could prove to be effective "eventually" but not franchise changers in their first year. The team that needs the center the most IMO is Indiana.

Lets not forget that Kristine Anigwe, Meghan Gustafson, Jess Shepard, Brianna Turner, and Caliya Robinson are also available. Depending on where they end up they could make great back ups and stretch 4's. I think Anigwe could be a force if she was on a team that had 4 other scores around her.

Will be a very interesting off season especially with the free agency.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Another thought—if Ionescu comes out, she’d likely go #1 and would make the #1 pick that much more coveted even though Vegas really doesn’t need her with Plum/Jefferson. Vegas could probably trade the top pick to Indiana for #3 and also get Vivians (or Dupree), making their starting lineup:
Plum/Jefferson
McBride
Vivians
Wilson
Brown/McCowan

Or:
Plum/Jefferson
McBride
KLS
Dupree
Wilson

Both of those would be VERY dangerous lineups.
Bill mentioned that he might want to trade for a veteran.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
#1 pick 3 years in a row. Must be nice.

Chicago had two lottery picks last year and one this year and have got 3, 4, and 4. The worst possible lottery results.

New York has one bad year and gets the #2 pick.

I support the lottery as a concept but the results this year are cruel.

Reaction Score
#1 pick 3 years in a row. Must be nice.

Chicago had two lottery picks last year and one this year and have got 3, 4, and 4. The worst possible lottery results.

New York has one bad year and gets the #2 pick.

I support the lottery as a concept but the results this year are cruel.
New York needs a scorer, and KLS fits the bill. Tina with Kia, Bria, and Lou make a good foursome, and Zahui B nice starting lineup. get rid of Prince, and Rogers.

Reaction Score
New York needs a scorer, and KLS fits the bill. Tina with Kia, Bria, and Lou make a good foursome, and Zahui B nice starting lineup. get rid of Prince, and Rogers.
I totally agree. KLS would do NY a lot of good to stabilize the offense between the bigs and the guards.

Reaction Score
Don’t forget the Aces will get Izzy Harrison back who had a stellar season with the Stars before they relocated! I think she starts next year along Wilson at the 5 and the Aces select a scoring/slashing guard in either Durr and Ogunbowale or the best shooter in the draft in KLS! Exciting times ahead :)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Sky also desperately need help inside but the drop off after Brown/McCowan is massive for posts and neither will be available at 4.

4. Another team that really doesn't need KLS, Durr or Ogunbowale with Williams, Deshields and Quigley, so I'm not sure where they go from here if Collier and both posts are off the table. Might be worth shopping the pick for an athletic big from Atlanta or Connecticut. Atlanta needs better 3pt shooting so KLS fits in well there, and KLS would be a big upgrade from Stricklen at Connecticut.

I don't know about "desperately". Dolson and Parker are both ok. Dolson had a down year this year but I think that was the result of injuries. A rim protector would be nice but Chicago could use help plenty of other places.

Quigley is 32 years old and Chicago doesn't have much in the way of wings of the bench (basically just Kahleah Copper, who is a below-average player by the numbers). I think Durr or Ogunbowale would fit great in Chicago.

I'm not sure I like the fit of Collier in Chicago. The role of "undersized 4 from UConn" is already filled.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Don’t forget the Aces will get Izzy Harrison back who had a stellar season with the Stars before they relocated! I think she starts next year along Wilson at the 5 and the Aces select a scoring/slashing guard in either Durr and Ogunbowale or the best shooter in the draft in KLS! Exciting times ahead :)

Harrison is very good. I think she'll do well alongside Wilson if she has a solid midrange jumper. No need for Durr/Arike though with McBride at the 2. KLS fits perfectly, but I don't think she's worth a #1 pick tbh.
I don't know about "desperately". Dolson and Parker are both ok. Dolson had a down year this year but I think that was the result of injuries. A rim protector would be nice but Chicago could use help plenty of other places.

Quigley is 32 years old and Chicago doesn't have much in the way of wings of the bench (basically just Kahleah Copper, who is a below-average player by the numbers). I think Durr or Ogunbowale would fit great in Chicago.

I'm not sure I like the fit of Collier in Chicago. The role of "undersized 4 from UConn" is already filled.

Forgot how old Quigley is...Durr or Ogunbowale would be a good fit considering Quigley likely just has a couple of years left. Ogunbowale is from just up the road in Milwaukee and plays a couple hours from Chicago so she’d help draw fans too.

I still think post interior defense is badly in need of an upgrade. Parker made good strides but isn’t quick enough to defend a lot of the better posts in the league. Dolson was underwhelming this year and struggles defensively. They need a rim protector or someone who can control the glass..Brown or McCowan would give them a huge upgrade in this area.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Thanks for bringing up Izzy Harrison, who did have a good year in San Antonio.

Bill does love his bigs, but if Izzy is up to (Bill's) speed, I think Trader Bill could get his cake and eat it, too, by organizing a trade with Indiana, who would very much want one of the two aircraft carriers (McCowan or Brown). And then he could take a KLS at three...

I don't know who the focal point of that Indiana trade would be, but if he wants to add some solid frontcourt versatility to the Aces, he's try to finagle fellow Domer Natalie Achonwa there. Ace had a solid year both rebounding and scoring (double figures for the first time)...she's kind of a tweener 4-5, which means she'd be a great back-up for both Harrison and/or Wilson.

Reaction Score
Harrison is very good. I think she'll do well alongside Wilson if she has a solid midrange jumper. No need for Durr/Arike though with McBride at the 2. KLS fits perfectly, but I don't think she's worth a #1 pick tbh.

Forgot how old Quigley is...Durr or Ogunbowale would be a good fit considering Quigley likely just has a couple of years left. Ogunbowale is from just up the road in Milwaukee and plays a couple hours from Chicago so she’d help draw fans too.

I still think post interior defense is badly in need of an upgrade. Parker made good strides but isn’t quick enough to defend a lot of the better posts in the league. Dolson was underwhelming this year and struggles defensively. They need a rim protector or someone who can control the glass..Brown or McCowan would give them a huge upgrade in this area.

I do not think the LVA will pick #1....unless Ionescu comes out. They need some veteran leadership and a 4 to open up the lane for Wilson. There is a reason why South Carolina got better in 2017 when Coates got hurt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom