WNBA Arike Ogunbowale: Odyssey Sims redux? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA Arike Ogunbowale: Odyssey Sims redux?

Reaction Score
Sims has only played for LA after they got the title in 2016. She was actually really good during their runner up finish in the playoffs 2017 but was inconsistent during the regular season and was bad last year..
My take on the difference in production and level of play between those seasons was Sims role on the team. In the later season, Parker reverted to handling the ball more and that left far less time that Sims had the ball in her hands. Sims is not as effective off the ball. I think Parkers decision to become more ball dominant while increasing her own stats, hurt the effectiveness of the team in general. As another poster mentioned Sims strength is driving to the hoop. In respect to other aspects of her game, I believe she has a poor peripheral vision which affects both her defense on screens and switches and often gets her in trouble on her drives on offense vial her failure to see defenders or kick out options to her side.

Now Arika might certainly have a greater potential defensively than Sims, the applicable word is potential. Her defensive liabilities in college appear to be because of a lack of her lack of effort. But it is often very difficult for players to change long-established habits overnight. And who knows - If she suddenly has to expend energy on defense how it will affect what she has left for the offense. There are many players who dog it on one end of the floor to save themselves for the other end. The question is if Arika will be so effective on offense that teams will believe the negative trade-off on defense is worth it.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
My take on the difference in production and level of play between those seasons was Sims role on the team. In the later season, Parker reverted to handling the ball more and that left far less time that Sims had the ball in her hands. Sims is not as effective off the ball. I think Parkers decision to become more ball dominant while increasing her own stats, hurt the effectiveness of the team in general. As another poster mentioned Sims strength is driving to the hoop. In respect to other aspects of her game, I believe she has a poor peripheral vision which affects both her defense on screens and switches and often gets her in trouble on her drives on offense vial her failure to see defenders or kick out options to her side.

Now Arika might certainly have a greater potential defensively than Sims, the applicable word is potential. Her defensive liabilities in college appear to be because of a lack of her lack of effort. But it is often very difficult for players to change long-established habits overnight. And who knows - If she suddenly has to expend energy on defense how it will affect what she has left for the offense. There are many players who dog it on one end of the floor to save themselves for the other end. The question is if Arika will be so effective on offense that teams will believe the negative trade-off on defense is worth it.

It's Arike** and I don't think she gets much PT unless she defends better than she did at ND, so we'll likely see better effort out of her. Granted, lots of players are incredibly lazy defenders in the W so we'll see if that actually happens or not. Plus Dallas looks awful this year without Diggins/Cambage so Dallas may need her out there even if she plays poor defense.

Sims had an injury or 2 that really slowed her down IIRC. Hasn't had the same zip and quickness that she used to earlier in her career. Her shooting touch has completely disappeared. A lot of that might be due to her playing off the ball, but she shouldn't be running the offense when LA has Parker and Gray. Parker is the Sparks best passer (and one of the best in the league) so her operating out of the high post wasn't a bad move IMO. She's extremely effective too when she drives to the basket or posts up down low, but is prone to playing passively and settling for perimeter shots rather than battling down low. A combination of playing at the high post and on the block would be the best choice IMO. Not sure if her playing on the perimeter is more of Candace's decision or Agler's. Interested in see how the team does under Fisher.

Reaction Score
It's Arike**.
Sims had an injury or 2 that really slowed her down IIRC. Hasn't had the same zip and quickness that she used to earlier in her career. Her shooting touch has completely disappeared. A lot of that might be due to her playing off the ball, but she shouldn't be running the offense when LA has Parker and Gray. Parker is the Sparks best passer (and one of the best in the league) so her operating out of the high post wasn't a bad move IMO. She's extremely effective too when she drives to the basket or posts up down low, but is prone to playing passively and settling for perimeter shots rather than battling down low. A combination of playing at the high post and on the block would be the best choice IMO. Not sure if her playing on the perimeter is more of Candace's decision or Agler's. Interested in see how the team does under Fisher.
I am just a horrible speller ( especially with Names ) and I have just accepted that. Next time I will probably misspell her name again. You knew who I meant so I don't bother looking it up to spell it correctly.

In respect to Sims you might be right in respect to her offense, but her defense has less to do with her lack of speed. Rather she loses sight of her assignment on the floor, especially off picks or screens. I suspect it might be a peripheral vision issue. More players than one might think have that issue plague them in basketball.

As to Parker. She is not really that good of a distributor in the half court game. She tends to predetermine where she will be going with the ball rather than adjusting to the defensive openings. Her strength is at the two-man game, especially with Nneka . If they get Cambage should also apply to her. The offense runs better with Sims handling the ball more instead of Parker. Sims is better at creating off the dribble than Parker. As I stated before, Parker tends to make up her mind about what she wants to do rather than react to the flow of the game. When she is on and her shots are dropping her dominating the ball is all good. But when they are not she hinders offensive flow.

Now lets deal with your statement that Parker is the best passer on the team. Not hardly! Gray is not only the best passer on the team, she is the best passer in the league and but possibly as good as there might be in all of basketball. Not only is she an elite passer but she also has exceptional BBIQ, which is one thing that Parker often lacks. Gray also sees the entire court which allows her to get the ball to any player on the floor no matter where they are on the court.

Parker is certainly a good passer. Probably better than Sims or many other players playing the point in the WNBA. What helps her in this respect is her length. She can pass over most people. This is what makes her dangerous in her two-man game with a post player. Her predetermined commitment to that sort of play does not hinder her effectiveness. However, when she is not stationary in the half court she will commit either to finishing her drive or a predetermined assist rather than being flexible to other options as they occur. I noticed last season when Nneka was off the floor she had trouble running half-court sets. She is not a point guard who can consistently create opportunities for other players off the dribble in the half court as she most certainly is able to do on fast breaks.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I am just a horrible speller ( especially with Names ) and I have just accepted that. Next time I will probably misspell her name again. You knew who I meant so I don't bother looking it up to spell it correctly.

In respect to Sims you might be right in respect to her offense, but her defense has less to do with her lack of speed. Rather she loses sight of her assignment on the floor, especially off picks or screens. I suspect it might be a peripheral vision issue. More players than one might think have that issue plague them in basketball.

As to Parker. She is not really that good of a distributor in the half court game. She tends to predetermine where she will be going with the ball rather than adjusting to the defensive openings. Her strength is at the two-man game, especially with Nneka . If they get Cambage should also apply to her. The offense runs better with Sims handling the ball more instead of Parker. Sims is better at creating off the dribble than Parker. As I stated before, Parker tends to make up her mind about what she wants to do rather than react to the flow of the game. When she is on and her shots are dropping her dominating the ball is all good. But when they are not she hinders offensive flow.

Now lets deal with your statement that Parker is the best passer on the team. Not hardly! Gray is not only the best passer on the team, she is the best passer in the league and but possibly as good as there might be in all of basketball. Not only is she an elite passer but she also has exceptional BBIQ, which is one thing that Parker often lacks. Gray also sees the entire court which allows her to get the ball to any player on the floor no matter where they are on the court.

Parker is certainly a good passer. Probably better than Sims or many other players playing the point in the WNBA. What helps her in this respect is her length. She can pass over most people. This is what makes her dangerous in her two-man game with a post player. Her predetermined commitment to that sort of play does not hinder her effectiveness. However, when she is not stationary in the half court she will commit either to finishing her drive or a predetermined assist rather than being flexible to other options as they occur. I noticed last season when Nneka was off the floor she had trouble running half-court sets. She is not a point guard who can consistently create opportunities for other players off the dribble in the half court as she most certainly is able to do on fast breaks.

Parker is one of the best passers and highest IQ players in the league. Gray is great too. She's flashier but I think Candace is better. That said, Candace isn't a PG. When Parker drives, she's going to the basket to score since it means she usually has a defender on her who is slower or smaller than her. She is extremely effective when she's aggressively attacking the basket. No need to find teammates since she's 6-4 and within a few feet of the run. Problem is, she doesnt do this frequently enough and is content settling for perimeter shots.

In a half court set, she runs the high low with Nneka better than anyone. She also has excellent vision and finds her teammates spotting up in corners or making cuts along the baseline for easy layups. It is much more than just her and Nneka.

She is also better than anyone at passing the ball to a wing, posting hard to establish position which creates a great angle for an easy entry pass from the wing and getting the ball deep on the block. Her recognition and court awareness are top notch.

She doesnt create for others off the dribble but shes among the best at passing from the high post, low post and on the fast break. People may not like Parker but to say she is anything but a very elite passer is incorrect.

Reaction Score

I think Parker is certainly an excellent passer. She usually threatens for triple doubles most games.
Parker’s problems offensively are that she settles for tough jump shots too much and she doesn’t post enough. It’s understandable because she’s had major knee problems her whole career, so she doesn’t really play physically anymore. She’s lost some quickness in getting to the rim, but she’s still capable. She can defend centers well because of her length.
If they get cambage that will be the best high low game in the league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom