WNBA and Meg | The Boneyard

WNBA and Meg

Reaction Score
Draft scheduled for April 17, season to start May 15, will it happen? If not, would Meg return for her senior year, could she?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not sure if she could - but I'm betting the NCAA would grant exceptions for non-seniors who declared for the draft, but change their minds given the state of the world, and possible cancellation of the WNBA season. But that's just a guess. The NCAA rarely does anything that looks like logic.

As for if she would, I sort of get the impression that her decision to go pro was made early in the season - it feels like she's turned the page on her college career. No inside knowledge, but I just don't get the impression she would come back even if she were able to. Same goes for Sabally.

I wish her the best. Her departure opens the door for the freshmen to make more rapid leaps, and gives them more opportunities, much like those afforded to Anna and Aubrey this year. I look for extended opportunities for Bueckers and Edwards, and Muhl & McLean will also have more chances to contribute. Gabriel is a wild card. Hope she develops quickly!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Draft scheduled for April 17, season to start May 15, will it happen? If not, would Meg return for her senior year, could she?

Here's a video addressing that subject. Athetes now have 10 days BEFORE the draft to pull their names out of the draft to return to college. To answer your question of would she, I doubt it. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure if she could - but I'm betting the NCAA would grant exceptions for non-seniors who declared for the draft, but change their minds given the state of the world, and possible cancellation of the WNBA season. But that's just a guess. The NCAA rarely does anything that looks like logic.

As for if she would, I sort of get the impression that her decision to go pro was made early in the season - it feels like she's turned the page on her college career. No inside knowledge, but I just don't get the impression she would come back even if she were able to. Same goes for Sabally.

I wish her the best. Her departure opens the door for the freshmen to make more rapid leaps, and gives them more opportunities, much like those afforded to Anna and Aubrey this year. I look for extended opportunities for Bueckers and Edwards, and Muhl & McLean will also have more chances to contribute. Gabriel is a wild card. Hope she develops quickly!
And more consistency from CW?

Carnac

Reaction Score

Roger that!!! :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
If NBA is canceling the games I don't see WNBA do not cancel. There is no way WNBA will start in May ...

You can bet everything you have (like Jim Fassel - NY Giants HC did during a presser when he said “ I'm shoving all my chips to the center of the table”, guaranteeing his 7-4 team would make the playoffs that year) that the WNBA will wait and follow the lead of the NBA. They WILL NOT be front runners in the resumption of play.

New cases will have to stop being reported, and the curve will have to flatten first. Health officials will have to have a "firm" handle (have it under control or a vaccine been found and disseminated world wide) on this pandemic first.

The medical community is more concerned about stopping the spread of the virus, and keeping more people from dying than they are about the resumption of professional sporting events. No professional sports league is going to attempt to resume play without the full and complete endorsement of its medical staff for reasons of liability if nothing else. If just 1 player tests positive AFTER the resumption of team activity, they go back to square one, and shut everything down..........................again. :mad:

FEMA officials don't anticipate that happening before mid August, maybe September. Those suggesting a return to play BEFORE then are not certified health officials. They're dreamers. :rolleyes: The virus is still running its course and still spreading with no signs of slowing. New cases are being reported everyday, and hundreds of people are still dying across the country everyday. The WNBA will follow whatever model the NBA sets, and health officials allow. :cool:

Post edit - Today (Monday April 13), health officials are forecasting a possible restarting of the infrastructure of the U.S. one step at a time as early as mid May. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it’s not a train.

Once the startup begins. as long as there are no hiccups or set backs one would imagine that all sports organizations could resume operations within 60 days of the initial restart date.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You can bet everything you have that the WNBA will wait and follow the lead of the NBA. They WILL NOT be front runners in the resumption of play. New cases will have to stop being reported, and the curve will have to flatten first.

FEMA officials don't anticipate that happening before mid August, maybe September. Those suggesting a return to play BEFORE then are not certified health officials. They're dreamers. New cases are still being reported everyday. The virus is running its course and still spreading. The WNBA will follow whatever model the NBA sets. :cool:

The Chinese men's league was trying to get a sequestered type of league going and they just announced they are pulling the plug on that idea and that is in a country light years ahead of us in dealing with COVID19. People should stop dreaming we can have anything sports related for at least 12-18 months,

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We tend to focus on Megan and some of the other juniors who have declared for the draft because they all appear to be in limbo. Will they petition to come back to school if, as it appears ever more likely, there is no WNBA season? But what of all those graduating seniors who have no option other than to sit around and wait until basketball resumes?

If there is no WNBA, then everyone, pro or college, is waiting to see if basketball starts up again in November. The general hope is that it will, but the more I hear Dr Fauci and others talk about a second wave of the virus, the more uncertain the future looks for everyone.

Reaction Score
We tend to focus on Megan and some of the other juniors who have declared for the draft because they all appear to be in limbo. Will they petition to come back to school if, as it appears ever more likely, there is no WNBA season? But what of all those graduating seniors who have no option other than to sit around and wait until basketball resumes?

If there is no WNBA, then everyone, pro or college, is waiting to see if basketball starts up again in November. The general hope is that it will, but the more I hear Dr Fauci and others talk about a second wave of the virus, the more uncertain the future looks for everyone.

Season or not, I would assume that if you get drafted and sign a contract, you will get pay.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I’m starting to doubt we have football this year...so I’m really down on having any type of WNBA season

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Season or not, I would assume that if you get drafted and sign a contract, you will get pay.
You raise an interesting point. The WNBA is largely funded by the NBA, which pretty much is a lost cause right now, with the likelihood of losing millions in revenue this year. Does the NBA want to fund the WNBA even if there’s no WNBA season?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You raise an interesting point. The WNBA is largely funded by the NBA, which pretty much is a lost cause right now, with the likelihood of losing millions in revenue this year. Does the NBA want to fund the WNBA even if there’s no WNBA season?
Good question raised by PVDoggy. I would assume that, if the draft is held, contract signing is allowed. I would NOT assume, though, that players will be paid, especially rookies. Maybe or maybe not.

Carnac

Reaction Score

As Lee Corso would say: "Not so fast my friend". Players get paid for playing games. True, once training camp opens, all campers get a daily "stipend" as long as they remain on the roster. Players get "game checks" for playing games once the season begins. The season begins when the first official game tips. No games, no incoming revenue to pay them with, ergo.....no games, no pay, savvy? :(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't see a college basketball season next year unless at least one of the anti viral medications really works out. The summer practice is gone. To even start practice in October, the players must be safe. Even with the anti virals it will be tough. If one person on a team gets sick does the team quarantine for 14 days or more. Forfeit games? Cancel? try and reschedule? The ultimate remedy is a vaccine, but that is likely a year away at best per the companies working on it. I could see fall and winter sports cancelled. Then all 3 seasons have lost one year. Maybe if we really flatten the curve, we have TV sports with no fans at the game. Or maybe women's teams that get 300 fans per night in a 5,000 seat gym can have fans. Could auction off UConn tickets, only 500 at Gampel, 1,000 at the XL. Highest bidders win. Might bring in more revenue than normal. Bad idea. Forget that.

Reaction Score
As Lee Corso would say: "Not so fast my friend". Players get paid for playing games. True, once training camp opens, all campers get a daily "stipend" as long as they remain on the roster. Players get "game checks" for playing games once the season begins. The season begins when the first official game tips. No games, no incoming revenue to pay them with, ergo.....no games, no pay, savvy? :(

Looks like you are most likely correct. I just read that NBA will only pay their players until April 1st and probably not after that if this situation drags out much longer. Meg probably should make an alternate plan.

Reaction Score
If the W is like the NBA, as long as they don’t hire an agent, they can return. But I don’t know if the W has that same rule

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom