WNBA and Meg | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA and Meg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If the W is like the NBA, as long as they don’t hire an agent, they can return. But I don’t know if the W has that same rule

Following in the footsteps of Jim Fassel, I'd take off my turban, cape, and shoes, and put my eight ball, tarrot cards, Ouija board, rabbit's foot and my tea leaves, and push them to the center of the table, I'm all. Megan is NOT coming back!! No way, no how. I believe this was a decision that she and her family thought over long and hard. The Genie is out of the bottle. I believe she has mentally moved on to the next level of competition.

The WNBA allows undergraduate players that have declared for the draft to pull their names out of the draft 10 days before the draft. Thus Megan has until April 7 to change her mind, and return for her senior year.
Here's the thing, if WCBB has resumed practice and play, the WNBA will have also. So there's no reason for Megan to have a change of heart because of the WNBA's cessation of operations, or that WCBB may begin later than planned .....if at all. Everybody plays, or nobody plays. College and pro basketball is BIG business. The NBA is losing money everyday!! College BB lost millions because of the cancellation of the tournament.
A finger needs to be stuck in the dike, and will be as soon as possible.

WNBA Draft 2020 Presented By State Farm To Be Held As Scheduled On April 17 - 7:00 pm ET
Official Release March 26
Virtual Draft to be Televised on ESPN at 7 p.m. ET

NEW YORK, March 26, 2020 – The WNBA Draft 2020 presented by State Farm will be held on April 17 as scheduled. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the WNBA will conduct a virtual draft without players, guests, and media. WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert will announce the draft picks live on ESPN with coverage beginning at 7 p.m. ET, and top prospects will take part remotely. The draft will also be available on the ESPN App.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Following in the footsteps of Jim Fassel, I'd take off my turban, cape, and shoes, and put my eight ball, tarrot cards, Ouija board, rabbit's foot and my tea leaves, and push them to the center of the table, I'm all. Megan is NOT coming back!! No way, no how. I believe this was a decision that she and her family thought over long and hard. The Genie is out of the bottle. I believe she has mentally moved on to the next level of competition.

The WNBA allows undergraduate players that have declared for the draft to pull their names out of the draft 10 days before the draft. Thus Megan has until April 7 to change her mind, and return for her senior year.
Here's the thing, if WCBB has resumed practice and play, the WNBA will have also. So there's no reason for Megan to have a change of heart because of the WNBA's cessation of operations, or that WCBB may begin later than planned .....if at all. Everybody plays, or nobody plays. College and pro basketball is BIG business. The NBA is losing money everyday!! College BB lost millions because of the cancellation of the tournament.
A finger needs to be stuck in the dike, and will be as soon as possible.

WNBA Draft 2020 Presented By State Farm To Be Held As Scheduled On April 17 - 7:00 pm ET
Official Release March 26
Virtual Draft to be Televised on ESPN at 7 p.m. ET

NEW YORK, March 26, 2020 – The WNBA Draft 2020 presented by State Farm will be held on April 17 as scheduled. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the WNBA will conduct a virtual draft without players, guests, and media. WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert will announce the draft picks live on ESPN with coverage beginning at 7 p.m. ET, and top prospects will take part remotely. The draft will also be available on the ESPN App.

Ohhh I agree with you. I’m not saying she’s coming back and nope don’t think she is. I was just pointing out how the MCBB can come back

Reaction Score
You can bet everything you have (like Jim Fassel - NY Giants HC did during a presser when he said “ I'm shoving all my chips to the center of the table”, guaranteeing his 7-4 team would make the playoffs that year) that the WNBA will wait and follow the lead of the NBA. They WILL NOT be front runners in the resumption of play.

New cases will have to stop being reported, and the curve will have to flatten first. The health officials will have to have a "firm" handle (have it under control or a vaccine been found and disseminated world wide) on this pandemic first. The medical community is more concerned about stopping the spread of the virus, and keeping more people from dying than they are about the resumption of professional sporting events. No professional sports organization is going to attempt to resume play without the full and complete endorsement of its medical staff.

FEMA officials don't anticipate that happening before mid August, maybe September. Those suggesting a return to play BEFORE then are not certified health officials. They're dreamers. The virus is still running its course and still spreading with no signs of slowing. New cases are being reported everyday, and hundreds of people are still dying across the country everyday. The WNBA will follow whatever model the NBA sets, and health officials allow. :cool:
As usual, Carnac, a great post full of reality. I'm hoping that as this pandemic continues that there will actually be a spiral downward in our obsession with sports. As people spend more time isolated with their families there's a possibility that there will be more bonding and better communication. Out of sight, out of mind. Of course you must remember that on Christmas Eve I stay up late and listen for the sound of hooves on the roof.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It's interesting to consider how much the NBA underwrites the W and how much they underwrite losing men's franchises. Obviously men's teams are more important that women's teams. The NBA is likelier to pull underwriting for the league (might want to double check how many are independently owned) than thy are to pull funding for other teams that lose more that the WNBA costs.

That being said - don't see the league season starting in May. Now with the Olympics being canceled, the big break in the season could be eliminated. Shorter season is possible.

Haven't really heard what's happening re: international pro leagues - men's or women's. The virus could put a huge dent in international pay checks. No pros, not as much incentive within the college ranks.

It's all bad, at the moment.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Hope I'm totally wrong but I doubt there will be wcbb until the 2021-2022 season..

Right now, no one knows anything. It’s all speculation. This is April 1. The forecast for the possibility of wcbb being played on time will be much clearer come mid September. It’s very possible that this year’s WNBA season will be canceled.

Things will either have gotten worse, stayed the same, or improved. All we can do is ride this thing out, and hope for the best. Coaches and league officials can say they’re optimistic about either resuming play or beginning their season, but that’s all it is, optimism. That and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

The medical experts are saying something completely different. I’m going with what the FEMA officials say. When I hear a medical professional say that in his opinion, amatuer and professional sports can resume (with or without fans), THAT is when I will get excited, and not before.

This is one time that the owners, league officials and college presidents are not in control. They are at the mercy of the virus. Right now the virus is running roughshod and unchecked.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's a video addressing that subject. Athetes now have 10 days BEFORE the draft to pull their names out of the draft to return to college. To answer your question of would she, I doubt it. :confused:

That pertains to male players and the NBA.

I think the NCAA might fool everyone and grant a lot of players instant transfer status and reinstatements. The men going in the NBA draft are looking at large $. The women, if they make a team $40K. Good chance the WNBA will not play this summer. They have already been delayed. The NBA will play sometime in 20-21, not sure about finishing this season. NBA to WNBA Apple to oranges.

Reaction Score
Season or not, I would assume that if you get drafted and sign a contract, you will get pay.
Not an accurate assumption. All contracts have provisions as to Acts of God, war, pestilence, and in general events that prevent the contract from being fulfilled. Certainly the new ones will. If there are states of emergencies and executive orders from governors prohibiting the collection of groups of more than 10 people for example, the games can't be played and the players aren't paid. I doubt very much that such a clause is not already in the WNBA contracts. If they aren't the league has a good chance of having teams fold. I don't think Megan got very good advice. In fact I don't think she got any advice at all. Her mind was obviously made up a long time ago. There may be a European League late in the year or early next year she can play in.

Reaction Score
Not an accurate assumption. All contracts have provisions as to Acts of God, war, pestilence, and in general events that prevent the contract from being fulfilled. Certainly the new ones will. If there are states of emergencies and executive orders from governors prohibiting the collection of groups of more than 10 people for example, the games can't be played and the players aren't paid. I doubt very much that such a clause is not already in the WNBA contracts. If they aren't the league has a good chance of having teams fold. I don't think Megan got very good advice. In fact I don't think she got any advice at all. Her mind was obviously made up a long time ago. There may be a European League late in the year or early next year she can play in.
I think you are correct--most all contracts of performance have a clause of "force majeure", as you said, a proviso as to acts of God... From this, I'm pretty sure players in all sports leagues do not have to be paid during the virus closures unless they would have some kind of exception clause...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At present, professional athletes are being paid. As far as Force Majeure, individual owners can not selectively decide not to pay players. The league must invoke that clause as part of the overall collective bargaining agreement.

Baseball is probably a sport where Players could be at risk of Force Majeure being invoked. Interesting fact. Only players on teams 40-man rosters, which are covered by collective bargaining were getting paid. Minor leaguers were not. Some minor leaguers had started part time jobs working for DoorDash & GrubHub. Fortunately, owners and players eventually decided to throw some money at minor leaguers as well.

Reaction Score
Until there is a vaccine, I don’t see any sports for at least a year. Even if only one contagious person enters an arena of 10,000 to 100,000, the infection spread would be enormous. College sports would be more affected than pros. How can colleges reopen? Would you want your kid in a dorm? When Anna left for Poland, I figured that meant it would be 12 to 15 months before she returned. Same goes for Niki. Athletes can stay in shape, just not in game shape. Rust will be everywhere. Students can take classes on line but not even KLS can make a three from her living room. Stay safe.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
If there is school with classes, there will be sports. if there are no classes, there will be no public gatherings or work. the economy is in the toilet and you will be more concerned with keeping foreclosure away from your home than wbb.

Now, the race to be the first to develop a COVID-19 vaccine is being fast tracked through the FDA system. Whoever gets the first approval suddenly is worth TRILLIONS of dollars as every nation in the world will be outbidding each other for it. We will have a vaccine because of the great american motivator , greed.

I am a firm believer that without the presence of Meg, CW becomes free to become the player we all expect her to be. a 2X AA, a 2X national champion. Anna will get more shots. The new improved (muscular and quick) Liv dominates inside against all (Boston) comers. Aubrey really does have a deadly 15 foot jumper and incorporates the Rip hamilton game style. Evina plays with a monsterous chip to prove her naysayers wrong by demonstrating a team first killer drive to destroy every opponent and leads the team. Paige simplifies her offensive game to acquiesce to the faster pace of D1 and learn how to run Geno's team.

it's going to be a blast.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It’s a good bet that if play resumes at the collegiate level, it will resume at the professional level.
;)
True but the WNBA starts up the end of April or beginning of May. The college season starts in October...

Reaction Score
The WNBA season can and will mostly pushed back. There's a narrative going on that the college players shouldn't have went pro because there's no guaranteed that's there isn't going to be any professional basketball going to play in ANY country but the college season in the USA is still going to be played.

Carnac

Reaction Score
True but the WNBA starts up the end of April or b
True but the WNBA starts up the end of April or beginning of May. The college season starts in October...

Per news casts this morning, health officials are talking about starting various parts of the country as early as mid May, 1 step at a time. If all goes well, the NBA and the W could resume operations as early as mid to late June. I hope so. That would mean there's a real possibility that the college basketball season would begin on time, without restriction or delay, assuming that ALL colleges/universities are open and in session.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Until there is a vaccine, I don’t see any sports for at least a year. Even if only one contagious person enters an arena of 10,000 to 100,000, the infection spread would be enormous. College sports would be more affected than pros. How can colleges reopen? Would you want your kid in a dorm? When Anna left for Poland, I figured that meant it would be 12 to 15 months before she returned. Same goes for Niki. Athletes can stay in shape, just not in game shape. Rust will be everywhere. Students can take classes on line but not even KLS can make a three from her living room. Stay safe.

You might be right. I have a kid in college and they are already talking about fall courses online

Reaction Score
Per news casts this morning, health officials are talking about starting various parts of the country as early as mid May, 1 step at a time.
If all goes well, the NBA and the W could resume operations as early as mid to late June. I hope so. That would mean that the college bb season would begin on time without restriction or delay.

The news I watched this morning stated that in Japan and China the virus is starting on round 2. No one knows what is going to happen, especially not at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave

Reaction Score
Let’s hope that “round 2” is restricted to that continent, and is not allowed to make its way to the US. A second act of the virus forcing us to halt or postpone plans to restart the economy would be devastating. People need to get back to work!!!

Not allowed? Viruses spread. That is what they do. Given the nature of this virus, there is no way to confine it to one country. Furthermore, we are not going to totally eradicate the virus without a vaccine. Any second wave in the US will be due to the virus spreading internally.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My feeling is that some ,much more nuanced (one size does not fit all) approach is needed in an attempt to balance real world health concerns and economic / mental health concerns

I think that some non contact sports should think about ramping up to play without fans
(Tennis / Golf come to mind first and possibly some version of baseball where contact is suppressed by suitable rule changes) in some locals which are not at the epicenter

My main point is that if some sports can be played in an environment that is consistent with existing social separation and best cleanliness rules, we should encourage that.

Sports figures in these sports will have better access to testing than the general population and I think some mask protection would help the situation further.

Finally, perhaps some businessescan be opened up following stringent store occupancy rules just like most groceries are following (at least in NYC)

Unfortunately for the BY., Basketball seems to be a sport impossible to make realistically safe until a vaccine is formed.

Reaction Score
Let’s hope that “round 2” is restricted to that continent, and is not allowed to make its way to the US. A second act of the virus forcing us to halt or postpone plans to restart the economy would be devastating. People need to get back to work!!!
If the economies of China and Japan don't begin to recover, the U.S. economy will remain in the tank. It's called globalization.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The Chinese men's league was trying to get a sequestered type of league going and they just announced they are pulling the plug on that idea and that is in a country light years ahead of us in dealing with COVID19. People should stop dreaming we can have anything sports related for at least 12-18 months,
Wait, what? You mean the same country that was in denial of the disease, lied about the severity, refused to close airports and still hasn't come clean over the number of deaths? That country?
See the source image

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Before this goes too far astray, this thread was about Meg and the WNBA. Of course how the corona virus might alter schedules is pertinent but please let's not turn this into a corona virus thread or a political thread. We have one of the former and the latter will get the thread locked or moved to the cesspool.
Thanks.

Reaction Score
I think that professional sports is making a huge mistake thinking that people are drooling to have them back. One of the things this pandemic has done is to make us put our priorities in the proper order and right now it is not the NBA, MLB or NFL. To begin with the wreckage done to the economy will result in people having to go far from "tightening their belts." It will be awhile before the majority of people will be able to afford the present price of a ticket to a ball game and the amenities that go along with it. Forger basketball, Megan would do well to complete her education if only to have that degree to fall back on.

Reaction Score
Before this goes too far astray, this thread was about Meg and the WNBA. Of course how the corona virus might alter schedules is pertinent but please let's not turn this into a corona virus thread or a political thread. We have one of the former and the latter will get the thread locked or moved to the cesspool.
Thanks.
I understand what you are saying Biff but, unfortunately, the corona virus is going to affect our life in several ways for many years to come and sports is only one of them.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I understand what you are saying Biff but, unfortunately, the corona virus is going to affect our life in several ways for many years to come and sports is only one of them.
And I allowed for that in my statement. But, we aren't going to turn every thread into a corona virus discussion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Draft scheduled for April 17, season to start May 15, will it happen? If not, would Meg return for her senior year, could she?
The deadline for Megan NOT declaring for the draft has come and gone. Megan and all the other players with remaining eligibility had until 7 April (10 days prior) to withdrawn her name.
There is no way the WNBA season starts on May 15th

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom