OT: - WNBA 25th season starts tonight | The Boneyard

OT: WNBA 25th season starts tonight

Reaction Score

Screenshot_10.png

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Time flies, I remember the first WNBA season like it was yesterday. I attended the first ever Charlotte Sting (R.I.P.) home game back in 1997. Convinced a friend of mine to make the 90 minute ride down with me on a Sunday afternoon. We had seats on the floor behind the basket. Anyway... at halftime.. one of the local TV stations asked me to do an interview.. as they wanted the perspective of a male fan. One of the questions was why was interested in the WNBA. I told them that I'd been a college fan for years, and that the WNBA gave me the chance to watch/follow my favorite college players after college. This was before the day of TV stations streaming and archiving newscasts.. so unfortunately I never got to see the interview. To this day I'll never forgive Bob Johnson for turning the franchise over to the league which ultimately folded the Sting. :(

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sabrina with 10 assists / 0 TO and just started the 3Q. She will have difficulties getting shots for herself I think but she can run the pick and roll. And Onyenware is a revelation for me. Unfortunately, Liberty can't rebound. McGowan (5OB 5DB) eating them alive on the boards.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Time flies, I remember the first WNBA season like it was yesterday. I attended the first ever Charlotte Sting (R.I.P.) home game back in 1997. Convinced a friend of mine to make the 90 minute ride down with me on a Sunday afternoon. We had seats on the floor behind the basket. Anyway... at halftime.. one of the local TV stations asked me to do an interview.. as they wanted the perspective of a male fan. One of the questions was why was interested in the WNBA. I told them that I'd been a college fan for years, and that the WNBA gave me the chance to watch/follow my favorite college players after college. This was before the day of TV stations streaming and archiving newscasts.. so unfortunately I never got to see the interview. To this day I'll never forgive Bob Johnson for turning the franchise over to the league which ultimately folded the Sting. :(
We were at the first home NYL game at the garden, in fact we had season tix for the first 10 seasons. Rebecca Lobo's mother was in the section below us, we had the best cheap seats in the house - i.e. just behind the section divide where you walked in (we were a couple steps up); one section to our left was considered "center" and of course below the walkway were pricy as well.

After 10 or so years it just became too much (and too expensive) to make it into NY to see enough games to make it worth while. Similarly, we did a partial season package for the Mercury out here, but only did it for 2 (non-consecutive) seasons. The problem being my wife's health prevented her from making games regularly and yes, pricy. Although our seats were in the 3rd row, down near the basket. We had some NBA'ers sitting next to us one game.

Reaction Score
I really tried to watch the Sun game but it is impossible to follow it using Twitter. Horrible production. Three people having a private conversation that has absolutely nothing to do with the game. No sound from the game itself. AWFUL! Having the games on streams instead of on networks is a terrible idea. They have no idea how to produce a game. This could kill the WNBA. 5.6k viewers. And later we get to try to watch streams on Facebook??? I really wanted to like the WNBA but this was not a good start for me.

Reaction Score
Sabrina with 10 assists / 0 TO and just started the 3Q. She will have difficulties getting shots for herself I think but she can run the pick and roll. And Onyenware is a revelation for me. Unfortunately, Liberty can't rebound. McGowan (5OB 5DB) eating them alive on the boards.
Where’s Cox??

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow at 0.4 sec left Sabrina hit a three, Liberty wins Fever 90-87 ...

Sabrina has 25 pts, 4 rebs, 11 asts ... what a performance.
That is one of the most clutch shots you will ever see. 5' behind the line and off balance and this is after making a clutch 3 to cut an 86-82w deficit to 86-85. Sabrina is already a star ?????? and will very quickly become one of the faces of the WNBA. Really psyched about the season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
CBSSN pushed the Lynx - Mercury game back a few minutes to see some cornhole match.

Reaction Score
That is one of the most clutch shots you will ever see. 5' behind the line and off balance and this is after making a clutch 3 to cut an 86-82w deficit to 86-85. Sabrina is already a star ?????? and will very quickly become one of the faces of the WNBA. Really psyched about the season.
Sabrina hit the last 8 pts for NY Liberty's 90, just same as Paige at South Carolina game this year. She is so confident and good.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
CBSSN pushed the Lynx - Mercury game back a few minutes to see some cornhole match.
This one is no work of art. Maybe cornhole was not a bad choice. :oops:

Reaction Score
Wow at 0.4 sec left Sabrina hit a three, Liberty wins Fever 90-87 ...

Sabrina has 25 pts, 4 rebs, 11 asts ... what a performance.

Shout out to Kylee Shook for a great screen after the handoff on that last play.

Ionescu was amazing especially in the fourth quarter. Came back after a bad turnover and a missed shot. That's what stars do.

Reaction Score
Taurasi with a game winner of her own. After a rather pedestrian game overall. You can’t teach clutch.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Taurasi with a game winner of her own. After a rather pedestrian game overall. You can’t teach clutch.

Well except for the way the refs butchered it at the end. Never saw anything like that ever. Game clock freezes and nobody notices it until after Diana hits the three. Then they spent 10-15 minutes using a stopwatch to estimate the time laeft in the game. Mind boggling that out of three refs nobody sees the clock isn't running. Usually they spot it and stop the game immediately to correct it. Cheryl Reeve was having a fit at the end. Can't blame her. Great to see "D" hit that clutch shot after being a bit off the entire game.

W

wolfe613

oddsmakers really got it wrong with the wings and sparks, I have no clue why the wings were 6 pt dog they have the better talent. Sparks future looks glim, I don't expect Ogwumike sisters too be here much longer wether it's cause of going to another team or other opportunies that might arise outside of basketball. It's too early to tank for Bueckers I assume :)

Reaction Score
Dallas looks like they could be a good team this year. They are missing their #2 pick one Sabally, and have a lot of scoring guards. Collier looked good. Onyenwere was another rookie who looked really good. It's crazy that a lot of these players we are watching today are going to be bounced out of the league in the next few years by the Boston and Bueckers draft classes. I hope the league can start to find more success so they can expand a few teams.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Dallas looks like they could be a good team this year. They are missing their #2 pick one Sabally, and have a lot of scoring guards. Collier looked good. Onyenwere was another rookie who looked really good. It's crazy that a lot of these players we are watching today are going to be bounced out of the league in the next few years by the Boston and Bueckers draft classes. I hope the league can start to find more success so they can expand a few teams.
Expansion would be nice but there are alot of players in the League who are not playing as well as some of the young stars entering soon. Sabrina playing so well and the connection to Kobe and her presence at the HOF induction will continue to give the league more positive exposure

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom