WNBA 2024 May 2024 | Page 15 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 May 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Honestly, with the chemistry issues and the lack of time to fix things between games, I would take the hard decision to move Hull back into the starting lineup and having Mitchell be a starter in place of Clark when she gets healthy. In that way, they have the same lineup as last season and they can slowly integrate the new players. I know they'll lose some offense but I think it'll be the best way to win a couple of more games in this tough stretch of 7 games in 11 days with no practice time. People forget but the Fever has a nice streak of wins and close losses to end last season.

I think my idea is a little short sighted and may be replacing short-term gains in place of long-term gains but I think it may be necessary because of the lack of practice time between games. I could see Samuelson and Clark eventually moving back into the starting lineup but for now we need to find some semblance of chemistry ASAP.

Also, for the life of me I cannot understand why Berger is not getting more minutes off the bench...
I agree with most of what you suggested. There isn’t team chemistry with the Fever. having the past number one draft picks is not an instant fix. I do believe that the non stop media hype, and defense of CC in the media might be a bigger issue than folks think. Team chemistry will take time. Lacking defensive skills will take time to develop.

is the issue the coach? I doubt it. It will take time for CC to mesh and change some things on offense. She is the point guard and during her whole college career she looked for her shot. Change and understanding that she is not in a small pond anymore. I don’t think her college coach has prepared her for the prep game. My opinion. Taurasi was correct and folks tried to turn her into a villain. all I can say is pass the darn ball and quit taking logo threes.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of what you suggested. There isn’t team chemistry with the Fever. having the past number one draft picks is not an instant fix. I do believe that the non stop media hype, and defense of CC in the media might be a bigger issue than folks think. Team chemistry will take time. Lacking defensive skills will take time to develop.

is the issue the coach? I doubt it. It will take time for CC to mesh and change some things on offense. She is the point guard and during her whole college career she looked for her shot. Change and understanding that she is not in a small pond anymore. I don’t think her college coach has prepared her for the prep game. My opinion. Taurasi was correct and folks tried to turn her into a villain. all I can say is pass the darn ball and quit taking logo threes.
Last night the effort of the Fever starting 5 was terrible. The number of 2nd chance shots that the Liberty got in the first half was amazing.
It seemed that every loose ball went to the Liberty, even the announcers were saying the effort wasn't there.

Reaction Score
So I wonder who Indiana will pick #1 in the draft next season?
Perhaps looming and tying together the Stewie demise and Paige/Fever #1 pick thread is that the Liberty have swap rights for the Mercury’s first-rounder next year.

Reaction Score
Perhaps looming and tying together the Stewie demise and Paige/Fever #1 pick thread is that the Liberty have swap rights for the Mercury’s first-rounder next year.
Paige could step right in for Sloot, as the point guard. And Paige does play defense, but it would be a good learning experience.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
In the spirit of waaaaaayyyyyy too early predictions, Dijonai Carrington is your runaway Most Improved Player. Book it! Okay, maybe not, but she's busting out in a big way so far.

Is Katie Lou the second best Samuelson in the W? Nice game for Karlie tonight.

Reaction Score
IMG_7100.jpeg

Unless a lot of people cancel/lose their deposit, that seems like a lot of season ticket holders. Great start!

10k seasons tickets is more than the entire seating capacity for 4 teams (Atl, Conn, Wash, Dall).

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Ah, a rookie who was mostly an afterthought for her college team is the key, got it. :rolleyes:
Guilty of not putting a tongue-in-cheek emoji in my post, but at the same time, not at all impressed by Diggins and Loyd.

And the all-time leader in pretty much every assist category was not an afterthought at UConn.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Guilty of not putting a tongue-in-cheek emoji in my post, but at the same time, not at all impressed by Diggins and Loyd.

And the all-time leader in pretty much every assist category was not an afterthought at UConn.
Depends on which UConn fans you ask. :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
She could be a sparkplug off the bench, but can't see her replacing either of their starting guards.

I see Vivians is starting and has a goose egg tonight. One might wonder why Horston isn't starting, certainly has more upside. Maybe cue @baggerbob to offer his opinion about the Storm coaching staff and personnel decisions. :)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oh boy, the Irish duo is a combined 8-30 shooting. Nneka is 7-11. Hmm...Storm had rallied but Lynx pulling away again.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In the spirit of waaaaaayyyyyy too early predictions, Dijonai Carrington is your runaway Most Improved Player. Book it! Okay, maybe not, but she's busting out in a big way so far.

Is Katie Lou the second best Samuelson in the W? Nice game for Karlie tonight.
The Fever didn't get the sharpshooting Samuelson.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So...nice rally by Seattle or did Minnesota try to give it away? Going OT.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Went 2OT, then Minnesota ran away and won by 9.

Loyd is 7-40 in 2 games. that is just awful!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ah, a rookie who was mostly an afterthought for her college team is the key, got it. :rolleyes:
Yes, the afterthought, Conference DPOY and UConn all time assists leader. It has also occurred to me that the Storm could use a healthy dose of Nika intensity right now. At a minimum, she would up their defensive pressure and provide some rest for the starting backcourt.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I (kinda) watched this game in between fighting off nodding off. Some impressions:

- Yes, only the second game and one is inclined to say "it takes some time" to mesh the parts, but Minnesota seems to be lynxed a bit better than the Storm thus far; even though both have redone their line-ups. It could be that the Minnesota duo of Williams and Smith played together at Chicago. (Yes, Loyd and Diggins-Smith did, too, at ND but that was 10 years ago and S-D didn't play last year.)

- Speaking of teamwork, Phee and K-Mac have it down, having played together in Turkey. Two of McBride's critical baskets (a three from the corner and a back-door cut and layup) came off dimes from Collier. Once again, familiarity.

- Both Collier and Smith were hitting clutch shots like they were leading their former college teams in the NCAA's (well, PHee does this professionally, too, but Smith is resplendent again.)

- Loyd fouling out on a moving screen 35 feet from the basket was not a smart move, individually or collectively. Why didn't Quinn have one of her bigs out there? And why did Jewel lean her shoulder? I don't care how badly she's shooting, she still facilitates the half-court offense. One she, then Nneka went out, Diggins-Smith reverted to hero ball....:(

- Speaking of Nneka Ogwumike, she limped off the floor in the 2nd OT. If that's serious, uggh for the Storm.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
In the "injuries just S+#k" category:

"The Dallas Wings announced that forward Natasha Howard will miss 3-6 weeks after breaking her foot in the team's victory over the Chicago Sky on Wednesday. " One game and down up to/after "the summer break." Get better, Ms. Howard.

Reaction Score
I went to the home opener for the Lynx last night and oh Mylanta! Minnesota dang near gave the game away. Glad that they held on to get the win. Seattle's Big Three are going to be scary. Skylar still got it. Jewell is a bucket waiting to happen. I am just glad that McBride was able to knock down some shots. That takes a lot of pressure off Phee to carry the scoring load. I have always loved Courtney Williams and her game. Her stop and pop game, when on, is lethal! I am glad that we have her in Minnesota. Overall, great game and great win for the Lynx!!

Reaction Score
Yes, the afterthought, Conference DPOY and UConn all time assists leader. It has also occurred to me that the Storm could use a healthy dose of Nika intensity right now. At a minimum, she would up their defensive pressure and provide some rest for the starting backcourt.
Nika did win the Big East DPOY in '22 and '23, but Kelsey Ransom and Christina Dalce shared that honor in '24.

Your point's still valid, Oldude. I'd add Loyd might need to rest her shooting arm, or perhaps put it in mothballs for a while and let her teammates try a few shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom