WNBA 2024 May 2024 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 May 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She had 10 TOs against the Liberty in the Finals (who didn't have any noted perimeter defenders outside of Laney-Hamilton and she was the primary ballhandler in only one of those games) and just had five against Puerto Rico (who doesn't have any WNBA-caliber players). She'll be facing off against Natasha Cloud (a noted agitator on defense) in the opener.

It can be an issue, hence why I said what I said.
A sample size of 1 or 2 is always great proof of anything. She played PG for LV before Gray arrived, and her TOs were never particularly high for any of those seasons.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It is Dallas so, who knows what they are trying to do.
Dallas goes through point guards at a faster rate than George Steinbrenner used to go through managers pre-Torre.
Remember Burton, Harris and Dangerfield were all there at some point just last year. Now: "poof!"
Strange confirmation that at some point the ball is going to go through Arike or Sabally, so why stock up on young PG's?

Minnesota wins the award for thinking they can turn combo guards into true point guards; one of which is all they really need with the rest of the roster being so talented. Geesh.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Four 2nd Round Draft Picks Are on Opening-Day Rosters

• Kate Martin, Dyaisha Fair (Las Vegas)
  • Nika Muhl (Seattle)
  • Celeste Taylor (Indiana)

According to the Associated Press, 13 of the 36 players drafted in April made a roster: the four second-rounders and 9 first-rounders.

"Not all the players left off the opening day rosters were waived by their teams. That included first-round draft picks Carla Leite (Dallas), Leila Lacan (Connecticut) of France and Nyadiew Puoch (Atlanta) of Australia. Those three international players didn’t come to camp this year and those three teams still have their rights," according to the AP.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

The Golden State team name has been announced.

Whoa. Well from one warrior nickname to one associated with warriors.

From my Bing entry:

"In Norse mythology, a valkyrie is one of a host of female figures who choose those who may die in battle and those who may live.
The word "valkyrie" means "chooser of the slain."

"Valkyries served the god Odin and were sent by him to the battlefields to choose the slain who were worthy of a place in Valhalla.
Valkyries are often depicted as warrior women on horseback, a wolf or a boar and armed with a spear. They decide the fate of warriors in battle and carry the dead to Odin's Valhalla."

Last edited:
Reaction Score

From my Bing entry:

"In Norse mythology, a valkyrie is one of a host of female figures who choose those who may die in battle and those who may live.

"Valkyries served the god Odin and were sent by him to the battlefields to choose the slain who were worthy of a place in Valhalla.
Valkyries are often depicted as warrior women on horseback, a wolf or a boar and armed with a spear. They decide the fate of warriors in battle and carry the dead to Odin's Valhalla."
I was thinking about this concerning the Toronto Raptors. What prehistoric dinosaur will the women's team use? Toronto Pterodactyls? Toronto Triceratops (and shortened to the Toronto Tops for everyday use...the LGBTQ+ community would have a field day with this name. :p)?

Reaction Score

From my Bing entry:

For my fellow SC friends, the name and color scheme remind me of Converse College.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
For my fellow SC friends, the name and color scheme remind me of Converse College.

When i saw that, i immediately thought of Converse. They should sue. :mad:

BTW, I am not a SC friend :mad:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

As a deposit holder and future season ticket holder, I love this. And I can't think of anyone who would more embody this iconography than Cam Brink. Expansion draft gods/Odin, let it be so!

Reaction Score

I was just hoping they followed the warriors color scheme....not sure if i like the purple reminds me too much of the monarchs :( RIP.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this concerning the Toronto Raptors. What prehistoric dinosaur will the women's team use? Toronto Pterodactyls? Toronto Triceratops (and shortened to the Toronto Tops for everyday use...the LGBTQ+ community would have a field day with this name. :p)?
Saw the Triceratops reference last week. As a resident of Toronto adjacent, not a fan. Now with the LGBTQ reference, definitely not! Too many people will run with that!!!! :confused::D

Reaction Score
Saw the Triceratops reference last week. As a resident of Toronto adjacent, not a fan. Now with the LGBTQ reference, definitely not! Too many people will run with that!!!! :confused::D
Oh you did? And here I am thinking that I came up with something original! :p I think of Cera from the Land Before Time whenever I think about the dinosaur, so it feels like the best fit to me.

What other dinosaur or similar references would pair well with Toronto?

Reaction Score
Oh you did? And here I am thinking that I came up with something original! :p I think of Cera from the Land Before Time whenever I think about the dinosaur, so it feels like the best fit to me.

Toronto T-Rexes
Toronto Triassics
Toronto Asteroids
?

Reaction Score

Someone had posted it on Twitter that they'd riot if Triceratops wasn't the name.

Frankly, I haven't the faintest idea as to what would pair well with Raptors. The ones I can think of like tyrannosaurus and brontosaurus don't vibe either.

Reaction Score
I understand the frustration, but I wouldn't read too much into a preseason game with players who are just getting used to each other, especially on the defensive end.

Cloud was a first team defender in 2022, and Allen is known as one of best defenders in league. Copper can get after it on defense too and you still have Griner clogging up the middle. The less said about DT's defense the better, but there should be plenty of capable defenders on the roster
With Griner out and definitely the point is now moot. The Mercury have a lock on the basement. It will be interesting to see how much the preseason anticipated the dumpster that continues to burn brightly in the valley of the Sun

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Someone had posted it on Twitter that they'd riot if Triceratops wasn't the name.

Frankly, I haven't the faintest idea as to what would pair well with Raptors. The ones I can think of like tyrannosaurus and brontosaurus don't vibe either.

The Extinct Reptiles... but that probably wouldnt fit on a jersey.

The Dinos. This could be the mascot.

dino.jpeg

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

Where did you get the idea that Raptors are necessarily prehistoric and/or extinct? Living birds of prey qualify as raptors, e.g., eagles, hawks, osprey, and owls.

So, the Toronto team might choose as a name a particularly fierce bird-of-prey species, perhaps Goshawks, which inhabit northern latitudes. Or they might go with Ospreys, aka Fish Eagles, to take account of their lakeside location. Or perhaps Great Gray Owls, which breed in the far north of Canada -- that could be shortened to "Great Grays" as a team name, with an owl's head logo.

Reaction Score
Where did you get the idea that Raptors are necessarily prehistoric and/or extinct? Living birds of prey qualify as raptors, e.g., eagles, hawks, osprey, and owls.

So, the Toronto team might choose as a name a particularly fierce bird-of-prey species, perhaps Goshawks, which inhabit northern latitudes. Or they might go with Ospreys, aka Fish Eagles, to take account of their lakeside location. Or perhaps Great Gray Owls, which breed in the far north of Canada -- that could be shortened to "Great Grays" as a team name, with an owl's head logo.
Raptors in the context of the NBA team is short for Velociraptors.

Reaction Score

First, thanks @GamecockFam for providing context.

Can't speak to why you got the impression I was going off on a random assumption when the Raptors have been based on a dinosaur since they came into existence in 1995.

Dance Fan GIF by NBA

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Regular season starts today. 4 games on tap. 2 on are on ESPN2. Indiana @ Connecticut and then Phoenix @ Las Vegas. Fever-Sun about to tip off. NY-Washington is already underway.

Reaction Score
Eariy W tried to pair up nicknames, but there really aren’t that many
Timberwolves/Lynx
Wizards/Mystics
Suns/Mercury
Warriors/Valykries

Not pairs:
Bulls/Sky
Hawks/Dream
Mavericks/Wings
Lakers/Sparks
Pacers/Fever
Knicks/Liberty

I would go with some Canada themed. Like the Toronto Tim Hortons or the Toronto Aboots.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's only 1 game (well, half of 1 game), but maybe I was a bit hasty in dismissing Connecticut's guards. Harris and Carrington are destroying the Fever. Indiana struggling thus far.

Reaction Score
Eariy W tried to pair up nicknames, but there really aren’t that many
Timberwolves/Lynx
Wizards/Mystics
Suns/Mercury
Warriors/Valykries

Not pairs:
Bulls/Sky
Hawks/Dream
Mavericks/Wings
Lakers/Sparks
Pacers/Fever
Knicks/Liberty

I would go with some Canada themed. Like the Toronto Tim Hortons or the Toronto Aboots.
Groan :confused:

Personally, would love if they could somehow tie the name Graduates to the team. While it references a team from Edmonton, they are a piece of basketball history for Canadians that needs to be acknowledged more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom