WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 46 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sloot hit the 2500 assist mark, fastest to ever do it. Took her 372 games, Penicheiro took 424. That's almost 2 seasons faster. That's pretty amazing. Bird's record really is reasonably within reach.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Sadly I’m taking the Aces. The Liberty have yet to figure out how to get all of their pieces together

Your take is correct. The Liberty have to get more cosistent scoring from their guards. Especially Sabrina. Stewie can't do it all.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Vegas blowing out the Liberty. Might be jumping ahead but if they keep up this level of play they'll go down as one of the best WNBA teams ever. So skilled 1-5 and everyone is unselfish and can produce on their own. All 5 starters in double figures, shooting over 50% and as a team they have 23 assists and 4 turnovers through 28 minutes.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Sloot hit the 2500 assist mark, fastest to ever do it. Took her 372 games, Penicheiro took 424. That's almost 2 seasons faster. That's pretty amazing. Bird's record really is reasonably within reach.
Definitely within reach. If she can keep up her 7-8 assists per game she could break it in 2026 or 2027 when she'd be 37 or 38.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If the Fever played the Aces tough twice in a row in Vegas, why are they getting blown out by Phoenix, the worst team in the league? Like I said, nothing makes sense from day to day in the W. Teams like Indy, Atlanta and Dallas aren't gonna improve too much until they start winning the games they are supposed to win.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I did it again. Plum had 15 points not even halfway thru Q2. She barely scored the rest of the way (although she hardly put up any more shots, so it's not like she went ice cold and kept bricking it). She still finished w/ a game high in points and assists. Not bad, considering all the star power present in this game. Vegas had very balanced scoring it looks like.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
If the Fever played the Aces tough twice in a row in Vegas, why are they getting blown out by Phoenix, the worst team in the league? Like I said, nothing makes sense from day to day in the W. Teams like Indy, Atlanta and Dallas aren't gonna improve too much until they start winning the games they are supposed to win.
These games happen. Aces last year lost by 31 to Minnesota (didn't make playoffs) and won the title. Didn't watch tonight it but looks like Boston struggled going up against Griner again. Plus DT had her best game in a while and Brianna Turner had her best game of the season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Boston battled Wilson hard the previous 2 games, but looks like Griner didn't have much trouble with her tonight. 22 points on 10-16 shooting and an early seat on the bench in a game that wasn't close.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Loyd and Collier playing H-O-R-S-E and we are in OT. 2 blowouts and one tightly contested game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well that hurts for Seattle. Led most of the OT, but couldn't seal the deal. 41 for Loyd, 22 off the bench for Whitcomb, 16/16 double double for Magbegor. 31 for Collier, a bit more balance for the Lynx (4 in double figures).

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Collier with the game winner on a tough shot. Finishes with 31 points, 8 boards, 5 assists, 6 blocks. She's playing as well as anyone in the league this year.

Loyd with 41 for Seattle but had a brutal turnover on a final possession that led to Collier's heroics. She's been great this year but has gotten zero support aside from Magbegor. Their offense late was just give it to Loyd and let her create--that isn't going to win games. Quinn needs to be able to draw up plays instead of just hoping Jewell can create magic on every possession (35 FGA tonight).

Reaction Score
Collier with the game winner on a tough shot. Finishes with 31 points, 8 boards, 5 assists, 6 blocks. She's playing as well as anyone in the league this year.

Loyd with 41 for Seattle but had a brutal turnover on a final possession that led to Collier's heroics. She's been great this year but has gotten zero support aside from Magbegor. Their offense late was just give it to Loyd and let her create--that isn't going to win games. Quinn needs to be able to draw up plays instead of just hoping Jewell can create magic on every possession (35 FGA tonight).
That’s a crazy stat line, I can’t think there have been too many games like that in league history.

Reaction Score
Your take is correct. The Liberty have to get more cosistent scoring from their guards. Especially Sabrina. Stewie can't do it all.
I saw a couple Twitter posts before the game suggesting the Aces’ guards couldn’t contain Ionescu/Vandersloot. I thought that was more likely to go the other way around and that’s pretty much what happened. Sabrina is incredibly talented offensively but is a defensive turnstile.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Barring injuries, Las Vegas is a lock for another Championship. Parker is a valuable addition. All five starters in double figures. How did they lose one game?
End of a long road trip, concluded w/ playing Connecticut back to back. Aces won the first game and got blown out in the second game. All things considered that was acceptable.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I saw a couple Twitter posts before the game suggesting the Aces’ guards couldn’t contain Ionescu/Vandersloot. I thought that was more likely to go the other way around and that’s pretty much what happened. Sabrina is incredibly talented offensively but is a defensive turnstile.
Before the season started somebody on this board had the same opinion. I pointed out it ignored that NY's guards would be no more capable of guarding their counterparts than vice versa. Round 1 solidly in favor of LV, and if you add in the Young-Laney matchup it gets even more lopsided.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Barring injuries, Las Vegas is a lock for another Championship. Parker is a valuable addition. All five starters in double figures. How did they lose one game?
They got blown out by Connecticut and Dewanna Bonner went off for 41.

Side tangent but was looking at some all time stats and noticed Dewanna Bonner has been an absolute iron woman in the WNBA which is pretty cool considering the flack she's gotten for being so thin. She's never missed more than 2 games in a season and has always averaged around 30+ minutes aside from her first 3 years (20-25 mpg). She turns 36 in August and really hasn't slowed down a bit. If she keeps up her scoring this year and next, she has a great shot to pass Thompson for #2 all time in 2025, though Tina Charles may surpass Thompson first depending on her future in the league.

Reaction Score
Amateur keyboard online basketball scout here. I think the Liberty lacked toughness tonight. Maybe it was because they didn't have Dolson. Or maybe they just had an off night due to the long road trip. They just never were in the game. It felt like Vegas was the aggressors and that was a bit disappointing. Also they don't have as many players who could create their own quality shots one on one. So the offense kinda got a bit predictable.
Marine Johannes- probably in my top five most fun players to watch and your favorite player's favorite player. But I've always wondered what would make her a consistent 17 point a game scorer. Even overseas, she consistently plays well, but shes not a super high volume scorer. I know it's easy to point out but her biggest issue is her lack of physicality. Defensively, it was crazy apparent in tonight's game. Kelsey Plum was driving downhill on her and getting into the lane. Alyssa Clark was posting her up. But offensively as well, she takes some tough shots from the perimeter, I think to avoid contact. Everyone has different strengths, but u see how KP is able to score at all 3 levels. Really all of Vegas guards can. I think MJ would have to gain some strength so she can do more stuff in the lane. Or she kinda is who she is, which is a very good player. Just a thought.
Also, Sabrina has been a bit up and down this season. 11 games played, 6 of them she's been held below double figures. 7 below 40 percent shooting. And she was pretty bad defensively in this game. She's a stud though, I have no doubt she'll play better as she gets back into the swing of things.
All that being said, sometimes these clashes in the regular season don't pan out as we hope. I remember in the NBA, the Warriors and the Cavs played some awful regular season games but would both do their things to reach the finals.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's probably worth considering that Vegas has only 1 new starter this season, and most of that nucleus has been together what, 4 or 5 years? NY has plenty of returners from last season, but 3 new starters and in some ways is practically a completely different team. Understandably the chemistry is not the same when you compare the two teams, even if the amount of overall talent appears similar.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

This is one of those "side-margin comments" from a teacher that gives a good grade but has one comment, so please take in context.
This is it:
Sami Whitcomb has had two straight or two out of three bravura games for the Storm, but that somewhat exemplifies the issue: I'm not sure Noelle Quinn and co. were planning on relying on her so much.
plus
Ivana Dojkic had 10 assists last night but also had five turnovers. It will be interesting to see if the league "smartens up" on the newcomer second or third time around. Quinn played Melbourne a bit last night and might want to consider that so Dojkic doesn't fry out and can also watch a bit to learn.

Reaction Score
It's probably worth considering that Vegas has only 1 new starter this season, and most of that nucleus has been together what, 4 or 5 years? NY has plenty of returners from last season, but 3 new starters and in some ways is practically a completely different team. Understandably the chemistry is not the same when you compare the two teams, even if the amount of overall talent appears similar.
Nah. They're a totally different team, regardless of the players they retained in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Tough game to watch as a liberty fan. The contrast between the teams was stark. Defensively the aces looked sharp, and had the foot speed especially with Plum and Young to really pressure the liberty guards. Offensively, I thought Vegas ran much more sophisticated action and the team as a whole looks bought into the idea of creating for their teammates.

The liberty looked really flat. They are in love with a weird action that doesn’t really generate any shots. They run a give and go through the pg and a post at the top of the three point line, and have the guard immediately attempt to drive the lane. It got cut off almost every play, and their guards picked up their dribble forcing a pass out to the same forward that initially initiated the pick and roll.

Vandersloot drives with no plan a lot, and got caught so many times last night either in the air, in the lane, or on the baseline with nobody to pass to. And Ionescu looked too slow to get any shots off.

I actually thought Jones had one of her better games, they should utilize her size down low more often. And they don’t really put Stewart in positions to be effective.

Vegas looked sharp, controlled the tempo, and shot lights out. Even Candace Parker came ready to play. Best I’ve seen her look all year.

I think the liberty have a shot, but they need to clean up a lot of things to close the gap. It’s not surprising since individually I’d say

Gray>Vandersloot
Plum>Ionescu
Young>Laney
Parker<Stewart
Wilson>Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics