with Rip retiring, what do you think Ray should do? | The Boneyard

with Rip retiring, what do you think Ray should do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He wants to win another title, where should he go? It's wide open this year. I'm thinking the Warriors. He'd be another lethal shooter. Can't think of anywhere else. Does he retire?

Thoughts?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My completely uneducated guess is that he'll retire.

He's got more money than he can spend and it doesn't seem like he's making a move towards picking a team.

Reaction Score
My completely uneducated guess is that he'll retire.

He's got more money than he can spend and it doesn't seem like he's making a move towards picking a team.
Agree:

1. I think the fact in the first half of the NBA season it was VERY unclear where to go likely had Ray hedging and that invariably impacted his working out and obsessive compulsive activities. IF Ray found he could live without the workouts and the shooting he edges closer to retirement mentally. AND he knows that he's getting older and his game is inevitably slipping, so why risk hurting his legacy, ego and frustration tolerance by coming back and not performing?
2. So no good choices although Cleveland (most insiders said most likely) may be finally coalescing into something and with DRose down they look to be the team-to-beat in the east.
3. The trade that made Cleveland into a contender was not done assuming Ray also came aboard. Ray is a better shooter but not a better overall player than JR Smith who is 10+ years younger. So Ray has to share or carve out minutes from his buddy Mike Miller and loses out to Smith & Shumpert who are more complete players at this point. Ray can take the 10 minutes a game Matthew Delladova or Miller plays, that's it.

All that said I still want to see him come back just for that ONE big shot he would inevitably hit. So does LeBron I bet. Maybe he starts working out in earnest now to see how fit he can get by the deadline (when?) to be playoff eligible?

Reaction Score
At his age you can't stay in the gym for half a season and expect to hit the court like you never left, especially NBA.

I see him retiring. But with what jersey? Bucks, Seattle, Heat, Celtics, ?

Reaction Score
At his age you can't stay in the gym for half a season and expect to hit the court like you never left, especially NBA.

I think most people over the age of 20 and outside of New England recognize him in those beautiful green and yellow Sonics uni's

Reaction Score
I think most people over the age of 20 and outside of New England recognize him in those beautiful green and yellow Sonics uni's
Yeah, who decides if multi-teams offer?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah, who decides if multi-teams offer?

Is it even an issue in the NBA?

It's been a long time since I went to the Hall ceremony, but I don't remember even seeing a jersey there.

The plaques are basically head shots.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I saw a couple of videos of Ray & Spike Lee discussing a sequel to "He Got Game". I think if they can get Denzell on board, that may be his next project.

Reaction Score

It's rare - but I remember P.J. Brown un-retiring and having a big role in the C's title, just by coming up big in a key spot or two. I think he came back a little sooner than this though to get back into game shape. Ray may be able to hit a big shot, but he also has to be able to guard at the other end if he's out there in late game pressure situations. Sometimes you can do offense/defense switches, but sometimes you can't.

Feels like this would be a weird way for Ray to retire, as opposed to having his last go-round knowing it's his last go-round. But that doesn't really matter in the big picture.

Reaction Score
It's rare - but I remember P.J. Brown un-retiring and having a big role in the C's title, just by coming up big in a key spot or two. I think he came back a little sooner than this though to get back into game shape. Ray may be able to hit a big shot, but he also has to be able to guard at the other end if he's out there in late game pressure situations. Sometimes you can do offense/defense switches, but sometimes you can't.

Feels like this would be a weird way for Ray to retire, as opposed to having his last go-round knowing it's his last go-round. But that doesn't really matter in the big picture.
I almost mentioned PJ Brown in my post, its exactly what I hope to watch in terms of Ray coming back and filling a role.

I want Ray to come back because b/c I've got no dog in the hunt right now. Who is the most playoff relevant UConn NBAer (CharlieV for Dallas, it could even be Shabazz if Kemba & CLT don't qualify)? I tried rooting for Golden State last night but I hate rooting against LeBron when he is in GOAT mode like he was last night. If Ray joins him then I'd feel free to adopt the Cavs.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
"I want Ray to come back because b/c I've got no dog in the hunt right now."

Jeremy Lamb? Andre Drummond ? Rudy Gay?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
"I want Ray to come back because b/c I've got no dog in the hunt right now."

Jeremy Lamb? Andre Drummond ? Rudy Gay?

The first two maybe, but the Kings are 12th in the West and 11 games out of the final playoff spot. Sorry Rudy, not this year.

Reaction Score
The first two maybe, but the Kings are 12th in the West and 11 games out of the final playoff spot. Sorry Rudy, not this year.

Also, Lamb will hardly play, if at all, and AD's Pistons are on the outside looking in.

Reaction Score
The Cavs tweeted this morning that he won't be signing there.

A bunch of rumors that Miami traded for Goran Drajic to solidify PG position as they have had problems there (sorry Shabazz) and that with Drajic on board Ray could be talked back. Won't happen now with Chris Bosh out for season.

He's done.

Reaction Score
Right. Detroit is not even in the playoffs right now, at best is first round fodder.

Yes Lamb & OKC should contend for title but rooting for Lamb to even contribute has proven frustrating to fruitless.

Reaction Score
With Rip retiring, I'd also like to announce I will be retiring from the NBA. I love rip, but has it been nearly two years since he's played an NBA game? Kind of an odd way to retire.

Reaction Score
Ray can still play thanks to keeping himself in great shape throughout his career. It comes down to desire vs. the grind of the NBA season. I think h would have signed by now if he still wanted to play.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Think I saw on the ticker, Ray is not coming back this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads