With A Few Different Bounces, T.J. Weist Might Still Be In Storrs (Jeff Jacobs) | The Boneyard

With A Few Different Bounces, T.J. Weist Might Still Be In Storrs (Jeff Jacobs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With A Few Different Bounces, T.J. Weist Might Still Be In Storrs

I had placed this story from Joey Knight/TampaBay.com in the Game Week thread yesterday afternoon but I guess Jeff thought it would be a good story too.

>>Interesting story... Did Marvin Kloss keep USF's Weist from getting UConn job?

>>The Temple victory began the season-ending streak that included home victories against Rutgers and Memphis. Some suggested Weist's ability to keep the Huskies motivated following an 0-9 start should've been enough to earn him the job permanently.

He disagrees. "Going in, the (UConn) AD, Warde (Manuel) had told me, 'Just win,'" Weist said. "He didn't say (how many) but I knew that we had to win six, put together a winning streak or whatever it was, and show that program that we could win on a consistent basis.

"If I would've won earlier, if we could've beaten South Florida in that first game and kept winning, then I would've said, 'Hey, you know what, I earned this job.' But I didn't. ... I think our staff and that team takes away a lot of pride in how we finished. But I can't sit here and say, 'Boy, I earned that job.'"<<

Reaction Score
Weist has USF among the nation's offenses..go figure. Well, for tomorrow, I hope Diaco proves to be the better.

Reaction Score
Great respect for the way Weist handled himself after the stupid twins were kicked out of town.

I always wondered what might have been had Diaco kept him as OC, but it made perfect sense that both might want a new start.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I don't know the guy, but I did meet him, and Weist just exudes "head coach"... he will be successful. Took a chance on UConn that unfortunately didn't work out for him career wise.

Reaction Score
He would have had to win the USF and SMU games to be seriously considered. We had no chance in the UCF/Louisville/Cincy stretch.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
He would have had to win the USF and SMU games to be seriously considered. We had no chance in the UCF/Louisville/Cincy stretch.

I was at the SMU game. TJ had us more competitive in that game than what most people expected.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Just wondering why the heck Jacobs would write this now- seems more like material for the depths of the off-season when CFB news is slow.

Reaction Score
Just wondering why the heck Jacobs would write this now- seems more like material for the depths of the off-season when CFB news is slow.
Because we play against him tomorrow?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Yes, kept us within 17 of that 5-7 juggernaut known as SMU

If I remember right, we were supposed to be blown out. But it was a game until well into the second half. Cochran played well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think TJ is decent coach who, under different circumstances, could have been a good hire here but the stank of "the stupid twins" needed to be cleansed. TJ was collateral damage.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'd bury Verducci behind Gampel if it meant TJ would come back and run the offense for cranberry pants.

C

Chief00

I'd bury Verducci behind Gampel if it meant TJ would come back and run the offense for cranberry pants.

Quite frankly, I agree. TJ knows how to keep the offense in rhythm and defense off balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom