Wins needed for a NCAA at large bid | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Wins needed for a NCAA at large bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Just watched selection show and not surprised we did not get a bid. Houston, ECU,USF and Tulane are in. Probably needed a couple more wins in AAC regular season and bad loss to Holy Cross at end of year did not help. Really felt this team was good enough for an at large bid, but we did not get it done on field.

Had fun tracking season. Hopefully next year we take care of business and get a bid

Thanks for all of the time you put in this year. It was a great service to the fan base. Here's hoping you will be highlighting more things in green next season!

Reaction Score
UConn baseball showed a goodly amount of improvement from last year to this season. I expect most if not all the juniors from this year's tea team will be back next season. The Huskies weren't that far off, and the added experience that the team will have should mean something. With potentially six seniors in the starting lineup and a good looking pitching staff, I really do think UConn can make it back to the NCAA tourney next season.
dbmill its going to be a real tuff season next year as we are losing cross,jordan,Davey,sinenna and two more seniors. They are going to b hard to replace. Everything was set for this to be uconns year and it slipped away. They are a better team then the record shows but those blown games against conference teams killed them. I don't know about next year it will be and uphill battle. How do you replace a 351 hitter and a ten game winner.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all of the time you put in this year. It was a great service to the fan base. Here's hoping you will be highlighting more things in green next season!
Thanks for your comments. Enjoyed doing the updates, and am glad if people appreciated it. Too bad the season ended a little earlier then we were hoping for.

Reaction Score
dbmill its going to be a real tuff season next year as we are losing cross,jordan,Davey,sinenna and two more seniors. They are going to b hard to replace. Everything was set for this to be uconns year and it slipped away. They are a better team then the record shows but those blown games against conference teams killed them. I don't know about next year it will be and uphill battle. How do you replace a 351 hitter and a ten game winner.

Cross is indeed a big loss, no doubt about it. But this is college athletics, almost every team loses valuable players that no one ever thinks they can replace, but somehow they do. One thing that I'm counting on is the continued improvement of the junior class as they turn into seniors. They improved quite a bit from when they were sophomores. And with potentially six seniors (including Siena if he stays) in the starting lineup, that is a lot of experience that I hope will manifest itself with fewer mistakes in the field and on the base paths. Same thing with the pitching staff, where the Huskies are losing hopefully only two seniors. Cross will be gone, but the pitching staff that remains looks like it should be quite solid. Biggest question mark for me is not who might play second base if Siena leaves, as it looks like to me the Huskies have an infielder or two on the bench who can play, but who will play the corner outfield spots. The outfield questions are most likely to be answered through what freshmen and other newcomers enter the program. But to me, a real solid core of players remains on this baseball team for next year, with or without Siena.

Reaction Score
Cross is indeed a big loss, no doubt about it. But this is college athletics, almost every team loses valuable players that no one ever thinks they can replace, but somehow they do. One thing that I'm counting on is the continued improvement of the junior class as they turn into seniors. They improved quite a bit from when they were sophomores. And with potentially six seniors (including Siena if he stays) in the starting lineup, that is a lot of experience that I hope will manifest itself with fewer mistakes in the field and on the base paths. Same thing with the pitching staff, where the Huskies are losing hopefully only two seniors. Cross will be gone, but the pitching staff that remains looks like it should be quite solid. Biggest question mark for me is not who might play second base if Siena leaves, as it looks like to me the Huskies have an infielder or two on the bench who can play, but who will play the corner outfield spots. The outfield questions are most likely to be answered through what freshmen and other newcomers enter the program. But to me, a real solid core of players remains on this baseball team for next year, with or without Siena.
dbmill another player to be lost is McDowell our catcher so we lose both our catchers also I was thinking if coach moves hill to second base his throws would be shorter and hopefully less errors, but this is a huge hill to climb considering we had the pieces of the puzzle in place and they still couldn't get it done.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
dbmill another player to be lost is McDowell our catcher so we lose both our catchers also I was thinking if coach moves hill to second base his throws would be shorter and hopefully less errors, but this is a huge hill to climb considering we had the pieces of the puzzle in place and they still couldn't get it done.

You're jumping the gun on Siena and McDowell. They will probably get drafted, but they are not ranked by any major publications. If they end up being mid-round picks, there's no guarantee that they'll sign and go pro. Kevin Vance signed after being picked in the 19th round a couple of years ago, but L.J. Mazzilli came back to school after going in the 9th. If they're drafted between the 25th and 40th rounds, I think it's safe to say they are coming back to school.

Reaction Score
You're jumping the gun on Siena and McDowell. They will probably get drafted, but they are not ranked by any major publications. If they end up being mid-round picks, there's no guarantee that they'll sign and go pro. Kevin Vance signed after being picked in the 19th round a couple of years ago, but L.J. Mazzilli came back to school after going in the 9th. If they're drafted between the 25th and 40th rounds, I think it's safe to say they are coming back to school.

Exactly. I would regard losing McDowell as a bigger item than Siena, simply because UConn has back up infielders who look like they can play, while I would not be certain how well UConn can fill in at catcher should McDowell go. Another player to watch out for is Ronnie Rossomando, a well regarded high school pitcher who has committed to UConn for next season. He could be drafted, so we'll have to see if he goes pro as well.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I would regard losing McDowell as a bigger item than Siena, simply because UConn has back up infielders who look like they can play, while I would not be certain how well UConn can fill in at catcher should McDowell go. Another player to watch out for is Ronnie Rossomando, a well regarded high school pitcher who has committed to UConn for next season. He could be drafted, so we'll have to see if he goes pro as well.
well its all speculation,but mazzilli is a different story because his father played in the majors, but as a rule of thumb most kids will go in there junior year because they know in their senior year mlb teams can offer them the lowest draft slot because where r they going from college.

Reaction Score

well its all speculation,but mazzilli is a different story because his father played in the majors, but as a rule of thumb most kids will go in there junior year because they know in their senior year mlb teams can offer them the lowest draft slot because where r they going from college.

I'm in agreement with Stairmaster here, he pretty much expresses my opinion here. I'll just add that Carson Cross also was drafted in the 24th round a couple of years ago and decided to come back. Nothing is guaranteed in what juniors might leave or who will stay, but I expect that there will still be plenty of talent on the team next season.

Reaction Score
Just watched selection show and not surprised we did not get a bid. Houston, ECU,USF and Tulane are in. Probably needed a couple more wins in AAC regular season and bad loss to Holy Cross at end of year did not help. Really felt this team was good enough for an at large bid, but we did not get it done on field.

Had fun tracking season. Hopefully next year we take care of business and get a bid
thanks for all the updates throughout. i know how time consuming tis stuff can be, great job.

Reaction Score
Well boys I guess I was right about losing Siena and McDowell. I hate to tell you I told you so but and old man can teach you young whipper snappers a thing or two.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Well boys I guess I was right about losing Siena and McDowell. I hate to tell you I told you so but and old man can teach you young whipper snappers a thing or two.
Everyone in the world knew they were going to be drafted before the 20th round. All anyone has said is that it's not a guarantee they will sign which is still the case. Both of them could jump into the top 10 rounds next year and get significantly bigger bonuses. I don't think anyone would be surprised if they sign but I wouldn't be surprised if they came back either. Every year you see guys like Mazzilli come back after being drafted in the 9th round (and was offered 2x the slot recommendation) and you see guys like Andreoli sign after being drafted in the 17th.

Now if you have inside information that says they're both signing, good for you. But you can't say I told you so when you didn't tell us anything we couldn't have logically concluded ourselves.

Reaction Score

Everyone in the world knew they were going to be drafted before the 20th round. All anyone has said is that it's not a guarantee they will sign which is still the case. Both of them could jump into the top 10 rounds next year and get significantly bigger bonuses. I don't think anyone would be surprised if they sign but I wouldn't be surprised if they came back either. Every year you see guys like Mazzilli come back after being drafted in the 9th round (and was offered 2x the slot recommendation) and you see guys like Andreoli sign after being drafted in the 17th.

Now if you have inside information that says they're both signing, good for you. But you can't say I told you so when you didn't tell us anything we couldn't have logically concluded ourselves.

I can't say it any better than our resident Mets fan did. Maybe they will stay, maybe they will leave. But that isn't the point. In prior postings, Player seemed to think the baseball program would be in dire straits if they both leave. Even if both Siena and McDowell leave, I believe that there is more than enough talented and experienced players in Storrs for UConn baseball to be in competition for an NCAA tourney spot next season.

In college baseball you have to expect that your best junior players won't be back for their senior years. It's the way college baseball operates. If they do come back like Mazzilli did, then its a nice bonus. Frankly, I was more concerned about the incoming freshman class arriving intact than I was about the possibility of Siena and McDowell leaving. And since it appears that Rossomando and company will all be coming to Storrs instead of going pro, I couldn't be more pleased.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
We've had worse cores than Melley, Sundberg, Yahn and Daniello over the years. Plus with Kay and Zapata heading up the rotation, I'm not worried about that either.

Reaction Score
Let me explain y they r not coming back for you guys that don't know how the draft works. If they did decide to come back and had a really bad year they wouldn't get drafted and then they have nothing. So they strike when the iron is hot and take the 100k or maybe more, a team can offer more if they have left over money. Some players do opt to stay for the senior year but it is a big gamble and I think that most players will take the money and the draft pick and go. And I don't think we are in dire straits as most teams go through the loss of players, im just saying that we are losing some very core players and it is difficult to bounce back right away with the loss of those players. Hey im a huskie fan I hope they kick butt.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Some players do opt to stay for the senior year but it is a big gamble and I think that most players will take the money and the draft pick and go.
One could very easily argue that it would be a bigger gamble to pass on finishing your degree over what amounts to a max of $50,000 cash (post agent fee and taxes) and a minor league salary (around $2,000 per month for 6 months out of the year). If you don't make it to the bigs, your professional career is over at 26, you've made less than just about any UConn graduate would make by that point, and you don't have a degree.

The odds of McDowell and Siena doing so poorly in college their senior year that they don't get drafted next year are asymptotic to 0%. If that does occur, odds are they never had a chance at making it to the majors anyways. You hear success stories of guys making it to the show after being drafted in rounds 11-40, but only ~10% of players from rounds 11-40 ever even make their MLB debut, and a good amount of those only get a cup of coffee and are never heard from again.

I understand that your son is on the team so you probably have a better insight into what individual players might be thinking, but I can assure you that the people on this board know what they are talking about when it comes to all things college sports and in many ways can be more objective since they do not have family on the team. I don't know who your son is, but if he is ever given the choice between a $50-100k bonus or returning for his senior year, I would strongly suggest you consult Coach Penders and listen to the advice he gives you. I understand some families are in worse financial situations than others so they may be tempted to take the money up front, but I would bet that in the long run a degree from UConn will be more valuable than the average career earnings of a player drafted after the 10th round.

I hope I don't sound condescending in any way as that's not my intention at all. I fully believe Max and Vinny will have every opportunity to make it to the majors. Hell as a Mets fan I would love to see Siena and Mazzilli on the team at the same time one day. I understand that playing in the majors is the dream of every college player, but these are life decisions and you have to look at them objectively. As the adults in the situation, it is the responsibility of the parents and coaching staff to guide the player to the best long run decision even if that means telling him to put his dream (and likely the parent's dream) on hold for one more year. Now it may very well be the right decision for a given player to sign for his $50k, and if after weighing all the factors that's the conclusion he and his family reach then by all means he should sign. But I would urge them to make sure they look at things realistically before reaching that decision.

Reaction Score
Well the slots from 11 to 0 are 100k slots and the player can be given more money in those slots if a team saved in rounds 1 to 10 and sometimes even if they don't have the saved money they can still over more money but have to pay a penalty. It has been done so we wont know how much they were offered. There is also the aspect of injury that could sideline their career for ever. And by today standards of getting an education, just check out how many college grads cannot find work verses how many got 100k to play a kids game.

Reaction Score
no I don't feel your condescending at all im just stating the facts. Its 100k for rounds 11 to 40, not 50k. and they could get more money if the team has leftover from rounds 1 to 10 or pay a penalty if they don't. This is a chance of a lifetime for a lot of these kids and they can always go back to school later. An injury might negate their chance at the majors and that's why a lot opt to go. As far as school goes have you heard how hard it is for these kids who graduate college to get a job now aday. The student loans are crushing them to death and to find a job in the field that they went to college for is difficult at best. Im not anti education but I am for taking a chance in life and these kids need to make the best of a once in a lifetime chance.

Reaction Score
Well the slots from 11 to 40 are 100k slots and the player can be given more money in those slots if a team saved in rounds 1 to 10 and sometimes even if they don't have the saved money they can still over more money but have to pay a penalty. It has been done so we wont know how much they were offered. There is also the aspect of injury that could sideline their career for ever. And by today standards of getting an education, just check out how many college grads cannot find work verses how many got 100k to play a kids game.
A pime example of this is blake Davey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman