Men - Wins needed for 2022 NCAA At Large Bid | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Men Wins needed for 2022 NCAA At Large Bid

Reaction Score

->Big East - With an RPI just outside the top 50 and a gaudy 43-13 overall record, Connecticut is the team for bubble teams to root for. The Huskies will be very much on the bubble themselves if they lose twice to get eliminated from the Big East Tournament, but UConn winning the auto bid would take it out of the question. The only other Big East team even in the neighborhood is Xavier, which has worked its way into the top 65 in RPI. <-

Reaction Score

This week’s D1 Baseball projection (day or so early) brings UConn to the Coral Gables Regional:

CORAL GABLES
1 Miami (5)
4 Florida A&M*
2 Florida
3 Connecticut*

“Connecticut, Campbell, College of Charleston, Davidson, and Belmont would all have chances at at-large bids also, but with RPIs in the 50s or 60s, we don’t love their chances.”

UConn current RPI #49
Xavier current RPI #63
Creighton current RPI #92
Georgetown current RPI #125

No change in UConn’s seeding or regional opponents in latest D1Baseball/NCAA projections:

Reaction Score
Huge, very important win today. Great outing by Peterson and pitching staff. I listened to pre-game show on 97.9 today, when Chris Jones was interviewed. He did make me nervous, in that he thinks we probably need to win tourney to get in. He knows 1000 times more about UConn baseball then I know, but I disagree with him. I really think if we get to championship game we are in. If we end up winning 45 games and do not get in, I believe it to be a travesty.

Lets win the next game and get to championship game.

Go Huskies !!!!

current record........... season goal
16- 5 / .762% ........ 11 - 10 / .524% - Out of Conference
11 - 3 / .785 ......... 11 - 3 / .785 - New England
16 - 5 / .762 ......... 15 - 6 / .714 - Big East regular season
1 - 0 / .000 ......... 3 - 2 / .600 - Big East tourney

Post season Criteria
(1) 44 - 13 / .772 ...... 40 - 21 / .655
(2) 48 ....... < 50 RPI
(3) 1st ........ Top 2 Big East

Something More Aggressive
current record ......................season goal
(1) 44 - 13 / .772 ...... 46 - 14 / .766
(2) 48 ....... < 30 RPI
(3) NR ........ < 20 poll

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
My GF's nephew pitches for Wake Forest, so I've been following the ACC tournament. NC State (10 seed) is positioned to steal a bid. The bid stealers are what worry me if the Huskies don't win the Big East tourney.

Reaction Score
My GF's nephew pitches for Wake Forest, so I've been following the ACC tournament. NC State (10 seed) is positioned to steal a bid. The bid stealers are what worry me if the Huskies don't win the Big East tourney.
Here's what I say about NC State if it came down to us versus them. They got swept at home 3 games against Northeastern, while we swept Northeastern 2 games.

Reaction Score
Here's what I say about NC State if it came down to us versus them. They got swept at home 3 games against Northeastern, while we swept Northeastern 2 games.
I believe we lost the second game to Northeastern.

But based on the original post, the focus isn’t a head to head matchup with NC State, it is them diminishing our chance of getting into the tourney through an at large bid.

That said, I listened to the D1baseball podcast today and they were 99% that UConn now needs to win the tourney outright due to last weekend’s sweep, aka their at large hopes have all but disappeared. But let’s say they’re wrong and they are in a decent “bubble” position. In that case, we would rely heavily on every favored team (ie not NC state) to win so that our bid isn’t “stolen” by a league that gets more bids than predicted.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Agreed, but we all know about the NCAA and their bias, bend over Big East for the ACC, no lube

Reaction Score
Agreed, but we all know about the NCAA and their bias, bend over Big East for the ACC, no lube
Which seems crazy because they always talk about how the NCAA is trying to make this more a national game and help with exposure up north. I agree with ucjoet that it would be a travesty if we get to at least the Championship game and don't get in. We can only beat who is on the schedule. We can't control how good other teams are. We have been next to perfect winning every series except one which in all intense and purposes was meaningless since we already clinched. They would basically be setting a precedence that when it comes to the Big East, the regular season doesn't matter ever, you can only make it by winning the tourney and that would be a shame.

Reaction Score
We have received at large bids in recent years; the difference was SOS regarding its impact on our RPI . For example, in 2021 we were seen as a shoe in for an at large if we didn’t win the tourney (which we did anyway), and the season before that (2019) we got an at large bid. 2021 our four game series against Texas Tech, even though we got swept, really propped up our RPI in the long run. 2019, the Louisville series was huge. You get the idea. Hopefully we have better luck with our SOS next year. In the meantime, let’s win this tourney and make this all moot.

Reaction Score
No change in UConn’s seeding or regional opponents in latest D1Baseball/NCAA projections:
No change in UConn’s seeding or regional opponents in latest D1Baseball/NCAA projections but Miami has dropped to the #7 overall seed after getting knocked out of ACC Tournament.

CORAL GABLES
1 Miami (7)
4 Florida A&M*
2 Florida
3 Connecticut*

Reaction Score
Huge, very important win today. Great outing by Peterson and pitching staff. I listened to pre-game show on 97.9 today, when Chris Jones was interviewed. He did make me nervous, in that he thinks we probably need to win tourney to get in. He knows 1000 times more about UConn baseball then I know, but I disagree with him. I really think if we get to championship game we are in. If we end up winning 45 games and do not get in, I believe it to be a travesty.

Lets win the next game and get to championship game.

Go Huskies !!!!

current record........... season goal
16- 5 / .762% ........ 11 - 10 / .524% - Out of Conference
11 - 3 / .785 ......... 11 - 3 / .785 - New England
16 - 5 / .762 ......... 15 - 6 / .714 - Big East regular season
1 - 0 / .000 ......... 3 - 2 / .600 - Big East tourney

Post season Criteria
(1) 44 - 13 / .772 ...... 40 - 21 / .655
(2) 48 ....... < 50 RPI
(3) 1st ........ Top 2 Big East

Something More Aggressive
current record ......................season goal
(1) 44 - 13 / .772 ...... 46 - 14 / .766
(2) 48 ....... < 30 RPI
(3) NR ........ < 20 poll

/thread from Adam Giardino on subject:

Reaction Score
We have received at large bids in recent years; the difference was SOS regarding its impact on our RPI . For example, in 2021 we were seen as a shoe in for an at large if we didn’t win the tourney (which we did anyway), and the season before that (2019) we got an at large bid. 2021 our four game series against Texas Tech, even though we got swept, really propped up our RPI in the long run. 2019, the Louisville series was huge. You get the idea. Hopefully we have better luck with our SOS next year. In the meantime, let’s win this tourney and make this all moot.
Kind of shows how silly RPI is in baseball if one series, that you lose can have such a huge impact. You play the teams on your schedule. But this situation sort of supports my contention that we need to figure out how to get better games. Instead of playing Bryant, go to Maryland or Virginia for a Wednesday game before playing a weekend series at Georgetown, or play Cincy when you travel to Xavier. They need to find alternative ways to improve the schedule or the current situation will continue to be a problem. The New Big East ain’t getting much better.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kind of shows how silly RPI is in baseball if one series, that you lose can have such a huge impact. You play the teams on your schedule. But this situation sort of supports my contention that we need to figure out how to get better games. Instead of playing Bryant, go to Maryland or Virginia for a Wednesday game before playing a weekend series at Georgetown, or play Cincy when you travel to Xavier. They need to find alternative ways to improve the schedule or the current situation will continue to be a problem. The New Big East ain’t getting much better.
The old adage, timing is everything, comes in the play here. We could’ve dropped three games to Georgetown at the start of the season and it wouldn’t have a material impact on our rankings. At the end of the season it does. Yeah, I know rankings isn’t RPI, but it’s just a little frustrating that the guys had the inevitable W.T.F game at the end of the season. Still, as everybody says, win the tournament and it’s all moot.

From here on out I expect to be on pins and needles. I really feel as if this team is special and I want the end of the season to reflect that.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. They put more value in getting swept by a really good team rather than sweeping a mediocre team. Exactly we should just load up on pre conference games against the SEC & ACC. I do believe we do have such series on future schedules. Why does a conference like the Big 10 get more love as from my view that conference isn't very good yet the RPIs are better. Outside of Maryland they should all be in the same position as us.

Reaction Score
The issue isn’t the non conference schedule or scheduling. For the record, Bryant is better than a Cincinnati. Bryant is a team that should always stay on the schedule, as should a Northeastern and BC. That right there takes up much of the mid-week slate. The issue is baseball is unique from an RPI standpoint in that it’s one of the few sports where you can lose points for winning. In hockey for example, as long as you win, you gain points, no matter who you play. In baseball, you can lose points, even for a win. Until that changes, UConn is going to keep getting haunted by the Big East schedule and that’s the reality. Baseball scheduling can also be fickle in that sense that if you play the schedule uconn did this year out west, you’d expect half of those teams to make the field, not none of them, but that’s how it goes sometimes. They also scheduled a Charlotte team that won a game in a regional last season and a USF team that made it to a super. UConn can’t predict a drop-off from all those, especially with schedules done so far in advance.

Reaction Score

This was just an overall crummy year for the non-cons we had on our schedule overall.

Lots of teams that, any other year, we would’ve looked good having on the schedule: Pepperdine, LBSU, USC just to name three.

With those three in a top 50 or better position, there’s no question that our RPI doesn’t merit inclusion.

Reaction Score
The problem is the New Big East, not the OOC schedule. In a decent league losing a series to Gtown is survivable. In this one it isn’t, especially when your non-league has a collective off year. FWIW, I agree that the RPI they use makes the problem even worse. So unless we want to be in a position, every single year, that we must win the NEWBIE tournament, we need to upgrade our schedule. Bryant and URI are generally nice little teams. BC is occasionally good. But what if we had played Maryland and Rutgers and Bryant once and URI twice? or in place of Merrimack and Marist? Given our conference situation, we need to get creative in order to schedule games with better teams during the “local” part of the schedule. Is it possible they’ll have an off year, too? Sure. But given how the system works, a bad year by Rutgers is likely better than a bad year by Merrimack.

Reaction Score
The problem is the New Big East, not the OOC schedule. In a decent league losing a series to Gtown is survivable. In this one it isn’t, especially when your non-league has a collective off year. FWIW, I agree that the RPI they use makes the problem even worse. So unless we want to be in a position, every single year, that we must win the NEWBIE tournament, we need to upgrade our schedule. Bryant and URI are generally nice little teams. BC is occasionally good. But what if we had played Maryland and Rutgers and Bryant once and URI twice? or in place of Merrimack and Marist? Given our conference situation, we need to get creative in order to schedule games with better teams during the “local” part of the schedule. Is it possible they’ll have an off year, too? Sure. But given how the system works, a bad year by Rutgers is likely better than a bad year by Merrimack.
I fully expect both St Johns and Seton Hall to be stronger in the future. In fact the entire league has the potential to be pretty strong. By the way, Xavier swept Cincinnati in a 4 game series this season.

Reaction Score
I fully expect both St Johns and Seton Hall to be stronger in the future. In fact the entire league has the potential to be pretty strong. By the way, Xavier swept Cincinnati in a 4 game series this season.

The one team in the Big East I would not expect to potentially improve is Butler. According to Chris Jones, Butler sounds like a lost cause in terms of baseball. The administration is showing no signs in trying to improve their baseball program or its facilities.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that scheduling gets done multiple years in advance so it’s hard to know that a team like say Rutgers, who prior to this year hasn’t had a winning season since 2014, would have been good to put on the schedule. It could have just as easily been another RPI killer if they had one of their more normal seasons below .500.

Reaction Score

This week’s Baseball America Field of 64 projection also has UConn headed to the Coral Gables Regional as the 3 seed:

Coral Gables, Fla.
1. (5) Miami^
2. Florida
3. Connecticut*
4. Long Island*
Latest Baseball America Field of 64 projection from this morning now has UConn headed to the College Park, Maryland Regional as the 3 seed:

College Park, Md.
1. (8) Maryland^
2. Virginia
3. Connecticut*
4. Long Island*

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members