Winning Ugly | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Winning Ugly

Reaction Score
I’m sorry, but it is about winning and losing. If you believe that Geno would be happier if his team played a great game and lost, as opposed to the Huskies pulling out an ugly win, you are mistaken. Geno absolutely hates losing.

I’m not suggesting that Geno doesn’t care about execution and effort, because clearly he does. But as he’s said many times before, “The only thing you learn from losing is how to lose.”
Many here have argued that Geno focuses on the Tourney. The way he coaches is all to get ready for the Tourney and a loss here and there is unimportant. My guess is that he (like any coach) will take the win but I doubt that many players enjoyed todays practice.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Many here have argued that Geno focuses on the Tourney. The way he coaches is all to get ready for the Tourney and a loss here and there is unimportant. My guess is that he (like any coach) will take the win but I doubt that many players enjoyed todays practice.
There was no practice today. But I get your point.

Reaction Score
Wow, A really good discussion about the state of the team and of WCBB. My two cents are that the team with the best players win. We have better players than last year when Paige gets back. She is our only truly great player right now. Azzi could be and hopefully we will all see that soon. She is deferring to others right now. Caroline is scorer and when she has a smaller guard on her she can dominate her. CW does what she can do. Dorka and Aaliyah are decent bigs. We can and will be great by the time the tourney comes around. We just need Paige to be Paige and Azzi to be would Azzi can be. When Azzi scores on some drives to the hoop and passe to others when they try to double her we will know she is ready. Geno has to get in her head. Does he have enough time. I hope so.

Reaction Score
In answer to your question, I believe the expectations of a number of UConn fans are out of line for any one of a number of reasons. Many fans have absolutely no idea what goes into preparing to play college sports at the highest level. Many fans refuse to give credit to the other teams for competing. Too many UConn fans have adopted a sense of entitlement as if these kids owe them something.

I watched this dynamic play out at TN towards the end of Pat’s legendary career, and in the years that followed under HW. LV fans refused to accept anything less than a national championship run each and every year. Their constant complaining about players and coaches on social media was relentless and mean spirited.

Strangely enough, after a number of disappointing seasons, most LV fans have come around. They generally are happy with a win, however achieved, and share a particularly optimistic view of the program under their new HC.
great reply. I have been trying to understand this mindset for years. Geno was more vocal about this a few years ago and now has simply moved on.
Geno's point is that each team is different, different players, different skills etc, and each team needs to be evaluated on its own merits, not what came before. Thats why these streaks that go back years ( never losing two games in a row, etc) are nice , but don't really relate to his current team.
We don't give our opponents enough credit. If we don't win by 50 points, we played bad. The other night , Coombs was making some ridiculous 3 point shoots, all you can do is tip your hat.
I think the main reason that fans have these crazy expectations is that we recruit the top ranked players. These players become their rank, and thats it. Like these espn rankings are set in stone, and there is no human element regarding their personal or basketball development.

Reaction Score
Wow, A really good discussion about the state of the team and of WCBB. My two cents are that the team with the best players win. We have better players than last year when Paige gets back. She is our only truly great player right now. Azzi could be and hopefully we will all see that soon. She is deferring to others right now. Caroline is scorer and when she has a smaller guard on her she can dominate her. CW does what she can do. Dorka and Aaliyah are decent bigs. We can and will be great by the time the tourney comes around. We just need Paige to be Paige and Azzi to be would Azzi can be. When Azzi scores on some drives to the hoop and passe to others when they try to double her we will know she is ready. Geno has to get in her head. Does he have enough time. I hope so.
you rang?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom