Winning Ugly -- Depaul 2.0 ThoughtZ™ | The Boneyard

Winning Ugly -- Depaul 2.0 ThoughtZ™

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. Way too many mistakes early -- bad passes, poor defensive rebounding, too many cheap fouls, etc. And yet we were up by 11, 9 minutes in, before the wheels fell off.
  2. Ball started to fall for DePaul, and our mistakes started to cost us, bigtime. Lead evaporated quickly.
  3. These announcers talk way too much. Wasn't Bahe like the last guard off the bench guard for Creighton 5 or 6 years ago? And how'd Alexander get a basketball gig? Nascar and BBALL are two different demographics, aren't they?
  4. Announcer (Don't know which one): "Whaley almost got away with a travel there." Evidently, he went to the Billy Packer School of basketball announcing. Fudgy used to make that same blunder every other game or so. He apparently meant to say that Whaley almost traveled, or that Whaley got away with a travel. One or the other. But instead, he came out with something that means Whaley traveled, and the ref almost missed calling it. Or maybe the closest ref did miss it, but the guy half way across the court called it.
  5. Watching live, I was sure that the play at the start of the 2nd half was a bad call. Two guys going after a pass in mid air, both of them have the same right to the ball and consequently, the space to get it. Incidental contact is pretty much a given in that situation. Ref called it a foul on Isaiah. Video clip below.
  6. Too much double teaming guards with a big out near half court. They got too many uncontested or poorly contests bunnies because of it.
  7. How did we get out rebounded? by 10?
  8. Depaul did not score for the last 4:29, and only attempted two shots in that time. The 2nd of those misses was followed by FOUR. CONSECUTIVE. TURNOVERS. Go ahead, read the last three words again, just for fun.
  9. The last 6 minutes or so, Martin made up for a whole lot of mistakes and sloppy play earlier.
  10. Both teams embarrassed themselves from the field and from the line.
  11. The only two statistic battles we won decisively were blocks (6-2) and steals (16-3!).
  12. I think the box score screwed Akok out of a block. It says 0, but I distinctly remember him getting one. I would search for it, but I ain't really up for sitting through that ugly debacle again.

Reaction Score
There are times to find the positive and times to look for areas where one can improve. If you look hard enough you can find either in any situation. As far as I'm concerned the only positive was the W. That was a weak opponent who repeatedly turned it over in the waning minutes of the game. We got lucky. That game was a trainwreck. We were a trainwreck. We have a lot to work on.

Looking forward to seeing how we respond.

Last edited:

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Pretty big positive. It’s a road win in conference without their best player.
Yeah I don’t think that was the only positive. This board harped on both Adams and Gaffney getting out of control and forcing things, taking bad shots. They both toned it down, especially this game. Maybe even a tad bit too much. Either way, it’s pretty obvious that they’re responding to coaching - which is great news. But the main takeaway for me was Martin. He wanted the ball and took control in crunch time when no one was having an A game offensively. We need a second go-to, even with Book on the floor. Polley has had a great stretch but he’s still a catch and shoot guy (for now). Whaley is still unrefined offensively. Both of those guys need the ball in the right place on the floor in order to initiate offense. That can change, but Martin took a step forward today.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
  1. Way too many mistakes early -- bad passes, poor defensive rebounding, too many cheap fouls, etc. And yet we were up by 11, 9 minutes in, before the wheels fell off.
  2. Ball started to fall for DePaul, and our mistakes started to cost us, bigtime. Lead evaporated quickly.
  3. These announcers talk way too much. Wasn't Bahe like the last guard off the bench guard for Creighton 5 or 6 years ago? And how'd Alexander get a basketball gig? Nascar and BBALL are two different demographics, aren't they?
  4. Announcer (Don't know which one): "Whaley almost got away with a travel there." Evidently, he went to the Billy Packer School of basketball announcing. Fudgy used to make that same blunder every other game or so. He apparently meant to say that Whaley almost traveled, or that Whaley got away with a travel. One or the other. But instead, he came out with something that means Whaley traveled, and the ref almost missed calling it. Or maybe the closest ref did miss it, but the guy half way across the court called it.
  5. Watching live, I was sure that the play at the start of the 2nd half was a bad call. Two guys going after a pass in mid air, both of them have the same right to the ball and consequently, the space to get it. Incidental contact is pretty much a given in that situation. Ref called it a foul on Isaiah. Video clip below.
  6. Too much double teaming guards with a big out near half court. They got too many uncontested or poorly contests bunnies because of it.
  8. Depaul did not score for the last 4:29, and only attempted two shots in that time. The 2nd of those misses was followed by FOUR. CONSECUTIVE. TURNOVERS. Go ahead, read the last three words again, just for fun.
  9. The last 6 minutes or so, Martin made up for a whole lot of mistakes and sloppy play earlier.
  11. The only two statistic battles we won decisively were blocks (6-2) and steals (16-3!).
  12. I think the box score screwed Akok out of a block. It says 0, but I distinctly remember him getting one. I would search for it, but I ain't really up for sitting through that ugly debacle again.

Re: #5 I noticed the exact same thing. Why was that a foul and why didn't Hurley make a bigger deal out of it? There was very little contact unless Whaley got him on the arm that I didn't see (i.e. Incidental). That's the only thing I can think of.

Reaction Score

Here is the Akok Akok block, but maybe Carlton got credit. It's from the "highlights-v-depaul" thread.

Reaction Score
respectfully disagree on this one. if we gave up bunnies on this play, it was because of a missed rotation, right? the hard hedge off of the ball screen is a key part of hurley's defense and a major factor in why we forced 26 turnovers. whaley is basically the king of doing this.

Reaction Score
also, the announcers called a block for akok that was given to carlton. both players were there on that play, not sure who actually got a hand on it.

Reaction Score
respectfully disagree on this one. if we gave up bunnies on this play, it was because of a missed rotation, right? the hard hedge off of the ball screen is a key part of hurley's defense and a major factor in why we forced 26 turnovers. whaley is basically the king of doing this.
Whaley may be the best I've ever seen at hedging

Reaction Score
Re: #5 I noticed the exact same thing. Why was that a foul and why didn't Hurley make a bigger deal out of it? There was very little contact unless Whaley got him on the arm that I didn't see (i.e. Incidental). That's the only thing I can think of.

Eh. Watch that replay again. DePaul player has two hands on the ball and Whaley hits the guys wrist, and at that point DePaul player loses the ball. I think it's a good call.

Reaction Score
Whaley may be the best I've ever seen at hedging
i think i saw someone say this on twitter, but it would be great to see a compilation of his hedges the past two years. i don't know what percentage of the time it is that he gets a steal or deflection, but it is pretty substantial. everyone knows it's coming at this point and they still can't prepare.

Reaction Score
The beginning of the game, I thought it was going to be a blowout as it looked like UConn was having their way with Depaul D, but credit to Depaul for capitalizing on UConn's turnovers. Team kept fighting and didn't give in. A win's a win. Just think we're a few made freethrows from being an undefeated team. I fully believe UConn can compete and beat any team any given day this year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Eh. Watch that replay again. DePaul player has two hands on the ball and Whaley hits the guys wrist, and at that point DePaul player loses the ball. I think it's a good call.
Easy to rewatch, given that it is posted above.

That said, I repectfully disagree. Whaley had his hand on the ball before any contact, which I still submit is incidental at best. The DePaul player didn't have possession. It was bang-bang to be sure, so I suppose the ref could have given the benefit of the doubt to the offense on the loose ball.

Reaction Score
There are times to find the positive and times to look for areas where one can improve. If you look hard enough you can find either in any situation. As far as I'm concerned the only positive was the W. That was a weak opponent who repeatedly turned it over in the waning minutes of the game. We got lucky. That game was a trainwreck. We were a trainwreck. We have a lot to work on.

Looking forward to seeing how we respond.

You have to realize they were playing their 3rd game in 6 days. The way they play defense they are constantly giving 100% effort every possession. Depaul is a good team regardless of their record. It's hard winning on the road in league play. Plus they are missing their superstar That totally changes how they have to play. I look at it as a good win. You win your 3rd straight road game, without your 1 scoring option, giving 100% effort at all times. Players are slowly learning their roles. Martin and Cole are new to their team. They lost their leader from last year(Vital). Whaley seems to be emerging as our leader. The bench is always active and these players seem to all like each other. Polley has cemented himself as a great shooter. This team rebounds like our old 2000's teams. The defense is becoming elite, maybe one of the best in the country. Cole is adjusting. Martin is such a good offensive rebounder. Akok just came back, once he gets going this defense will be even better. I think Akok becomes a decent 3 point shooter. Gaffeny and Adams are solid reserve guards. All this talk about Gaffney. He has shown flashes of being able to take the ball to the hoop. His role is like Austries role in 2009. Run the second unit. Shoot threes when hes open and do the little things on the floor. Plus hes our best free throw shooter behing Bouk. He needs to be in close games at the end so he can go to the line. The Huskies are back. Just enjoy it. It's been a long 5 years of losing. This is a legit Sweet 16 team.

Reaction Score
You have to realize they were playing their 3rd game in 6 days. The way they play defense they are constantly giving 100% effort every possession. Depaul is a good team regardless of their record. It's hard winning on the road in league play. Plus they are missing their superstar That totally changes how they have to play. I look at it as a good win. You win your 3rd straight road game, without your 1 scoring option, giving 100% effort at all times. Players are slowly learning their roles. Martin and Cole are new to their team. They lost their leader from last year(Vital). Whaley seems to be emerging as our leader. The bench is always active and these players seem to all like each other. Polley has cemented himself as a great shooter. This team rebounds like our old 2000's teams. The defense is becoming elite, maybe one of the best in the country. Cole is adjusting. Martin is such a good offensive rebounder. Akok just came back, once he gets going this defense will be even better. I think Akok becomes a decent 3 point shooter. Gaffeny and Adams are solid reserve guards. All this talk about Gaffney. He has shown flashes of being able to take the ball to the hoop. His role is like Austries role in 2009. Run the second unit. Shoot threes when hes open and do the little things on the floor. Plus hes our best free throw shooter behing Bouk. He needs to be in close games at the end so he can go to the line. The Huskies are back. Just enjoy it. It's been a long 5 years of losing. This is a legit Sweet 16 team.
What you say is not wrong. I'm comfortable with my position as well.

I'm enjoying it. I wouldn't be watching if I was not

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom