Winning Streak Doesn't Count | The Boneyard

Winning Streak Doesn't Count

Reaction Score
I can't believe what I just read. For a popular sportswriter, he's ignorance is unbelieveable. Or was he just lazy and mailed this in without doing research?

Here's the link

Massarotti: UConn Women's Basketball Winning Streak Doesn't Count

Tony Massarotti says the 100 game winning steak doesn't count. Perhaps he's been talking to his "Curly-Haired Boyfriend" about Women's UCONN Basketball.

JS

Reaction Score
Tend to think the whole thing is tongue in cheek and/or facetious attention-seeking.

But, if so, poorly done, because he doesn't provide enough indication he's being humorously outrageous and not just seriously stupid.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Tend to think the whole thing is tongue in cheek and/or facetious attention-seeking.

But, if so, poorly done, because he doesn't provide enough indication he's being humorously outrageous and not just seriously stupid.

Exactly. I had to read it twice to arrive at a forked conclusion. Either this guy is just dumb as a box of rocks, or he's putting us on. I think maybe it was the latter. As a send-up on another essay by a Boston sportswriter, it's almost good. Almost. But sometimes, attempts at subtle humor can be way too subtle to even be decoded.

Reaction Score
Massarotti is nothing but a talent-less hack reporter that relies on controversial articles/ headlines to gain readership. He is the epitome of media sensationalism at it's worst.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It is hard to tell if he's being serious or not.

45577d1352536360t-i-hope-jellybean-does-not-come-s3-24005427.jpg

Reaction Score
Massarotti is nothing but a talent-less hack reporter that relies on controversial articles/ headlines to gain readership. He is the epitome of media sensationalism at it's worst.

Dead on, TitleTown. There are more and more of these so called "Sports Writers" who have never played, never coached, and barely can understand the game they are writing about. Why don't we ask anyone walking down the street about the UConn streak? We would probably get a better response than this Massarotti character. I was not going to waste my time writing a post, but I could not help myself. IMHO this was not a joke or satire. As TitleTown wrote--it was a cheap and lazy way of getting some pity--I mean attention. Sorry to say, ESPN and other channels have so many talking heads who have no real experience dealing with pressure, competition, grueling workouts, and injury. Why would I care about their opinion? Well, I don't.
One aside--over the streak UConn has probably played at least 30 games against top 15 opponents. Probably 20 to 25 against top 10. Any team in any sport who can defeat 25 top opponents without a loss is more than outstanding.
Sports writers like refs have taken a dip in quality over the last decade. Just my simple opinion.

Reaction Score
He and his cohorts at 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston basically take turns making ridiculous statements on-air and he does it in his columns to try to one-up their radio competition. You can't take anything they say seriously, they're minor leaguers.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I read this nonsense yesterday. This hack is trying to make some humorous intellectual argument and he fails miserably. What is worse is that he demonstrates little if any knowledge about UConn basketball in particular and WBB in general.

The only plus was that I realized fairly quickly where this dolt was headed, so I only read half the article before closing the link.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Another sports hack from Boston. I wonder if he ever watched a UConn game. Probably not.

What a waste.

Reaction Score
I can't believe what I just read. For a popular sportswriter, he's ignorance is unbelieveable. Or was he just lazy and mailed this in without doing research?

Here's the link

Tony Massarotti says the 100 game winning steak doesn't count. Perhaps he's been talking to his "Curly-Haired Boyfriend" about Women's UCONN Basketball.
What more do you expect from a Boston so-called sportswriter. He belongs in the same category as "cauliflower head"

Reaction Score
Is there a concussion protocol for writers?
"But in terms of great American sports achievements? Let’s pump the breaks here"
He obviously was tapping the breaks when he should have been tapping the brakes - must have hit his head!!!

Reaction Score
He and his cohorts at 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston basically take turns making ridiculous statements on-air and he does it in his columns to try to one-up their radio competition. You can't take anything they say seriously, they're minor leaguers.
He could easily be replaced with a bobble-head doll. All Felger would have to do is flick its chin with his finger.

Reaction Score
Tony Massarotti says the 100 game winning steak doesn't count..

Another Boston lout!

We need to drown his ratings. This is war!

Molly, this is your territory. Go get'em girl!

We need a real plan for this guy.

Reaction Score
I don't believe for a second that this is tongue-in-cheek. That's like saying that when he wrote that we should "pump the breaks here," he deliberately substituted "breaks" for the correct word, "brakes," because he was trying to attach some cute double meaning to the sentence. This, my friends, is overthinking it. He simply doesn't write very well, and he doesn't think very well, either. As far as I can see, the only thing he got 100% right was that the column comes across as both sexist and misogynistic.

He does make the point -- as have we all -- that WCBB would be a better place if the rest of the teams would up their game. But to describe it as a sports wasteland is just wrong.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Here's the link

Another moron. For something that "doesn't count", it's going to be remembered forever. His career on the other hand - LOL

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Boorish knucklehead.

I suspect his market demographic is largely young males who don`t give a hoot about WCBB. So he`s probably pandering to his base.

Reaction Score
We need to drown his ratings. This is war!.

Ok, ok, my gut response was over the top...

But here's a real plan we can all make happen:

Molly Bent publicly, on ESPN, standing in Gampel Pavilion, bouncing a ball at half court, lots of cameras flashing. Molly looks into the camera and challenges Masarotti to a game of one-on-one. Then she turns and sinks a long shot. Turns back to the camera and winks. Fade to Black.

or...

Same scene. Molly challenges Masarotti to a full game there in Gampel. Last line by Molly: "And bring a few of your friends... I will!"
and the whole team come from off-camera to surround Molly, warrior looks on their faces.

This would get UCONN some great publicity, ESPN some great ratings, would be a lot of fun, we could sell tickets for a charity... And perhaps shut those guys up!

What do you think???

Reaction Score
This type of article is this guy's modus operandi. You've all heard that any publicity is good publicity, and he has parlayed this strategy into a Boston radio sports program.

By commenting and being outraged, we are merely playing into his hands.

Reaction Score
Ok, ok, my gut response was over the top..

But here's a real plan we can all make happen:

Molly Bent publicly, on ESPN, standing in Gampel Pavilion, bouncing a ball at half court, lots of cameras flashing. Molly looks into the camera and challenges Masarotti to a game of one-on-one. Then she turns and sinks a long shot. Turns back to the camera and winks. Fade to Black.

or..

Same scene. Molly challenges Masarotti to a full game there in Gampel. Last line by Molly: "And bring a few of your friends.. I will!"
and the whole team come from off-camera to surround Molly, warrior looks on their faces.

This would get UCONN some great publicity, ESPN some great ratings, would be a lot of fun, we could sell tickets for a charity.. And perhaps shut those guys up!

What do you think???
please don't feed this troll. The best thing is to ignore it. If this guy has two working brain cells he saw how much publicity that other idiot got last year and thought he could do the same this year. Any acknowledgement only benefits him, UConn has absolutely nothing to gain by challenging him.

Reaction Score
What an idiot: "But when more than half the games are decided by at least 40 points — and a stunning 71 of the 100 are decided by 30 or more — well, we can’t help but wonder if the deck is simply stacked."

No, actually. UConn is not bigger than anyone else. They don't have all the best players. And contrary to what ESPN analysts have said in the past, UConn doesn't get "all of the players they want." Not even close. UConn defeated the #6 team in the nation, South Carolina, which featured A'Ja Wilson, a player that UConn wanted really badly, but didn't get. But UConn won anyway.

This guy doesn't know anything. Sad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom