Wind barley matters | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wind barley matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Position what I say however you like.

A: it's stupid to not take the wind in the fourth quarter. Sometimes it doesn't matter - doesn't mean it's not clueless.

B: I never said UConn shouldn't throw the ball. I've said you can't blindly go to some all pass offense because it's difficult in the conditions in East Hartford.

Sometimes the other team makes ridiculously bad strategic decisions too. Punting on fourth and short and the onsides kick were both idiotic.

Reaction Score
Position what I say however you like.

A: it's stupid to not take the wind in the fourth quarter. Sometimes it doesn't matter - doesn't mean it's not clueless.

B: I never said UConn shouldn't throw the ball. I've said you can't blindly go to some all pass offense because it's difficult in the conditions in East Hartford.

Sometimes the other team makes ridiculously bad strategic decisions too. Punting on fourth and short and the onsides kick were both idiotic.
Well, could you admit that you can have big passing numbers on a windy day at the Rent? I'm with you that I want balance. I just want an offense where if a team is selling out to stop the run, and I mean selling out like RU was against us in our BCS year, that we could light them up through the air. It was so frustrating to watch us run three straight times up four late in that game, including on 3rd and 8.

My position is that if you want to get top offensive talent to consider you, and I'm referring to QBs and WRs with multiple offers, not stars next to their name, we have to distance ourselves from the offensive philsophies of P and Edsall.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well, could you admit that you can have big passing numbers on a windy day at the Rent? I'm with you that I want balance. I just want an offense where if a team is selling out to stop the run, and I mean selling out like RU was against us in our BCS year, that we could light them up through the air. It was so frustrating to watch us run three straight times up four late in that game, including on 3rd and 8.

My position is that if you want to get top offensive talent to consider you, and I'm referring to QBs and WRs with multiple offers, not stars next to their name, we have to distance ourselves from the offensive philsophies of P and Edsall.

Yes, they had bigger passing numbers today than I would have expected generally. They did rack many of them up on short sideways throws that turned into big gains. Playing Memphis doesn't hurt.

I have never said they should go 3 yards and a cloud of dust - Maybe I'm a dimwitted northeast dinosaur - I still think you need to have a credible running game to win here.

Reaction Score
I don't think your a dinosaur for thinking that way. 280 passing, 120 rushing. Nice 400yds of offense per game. Everybody is happy.

Reaction Score
How sharp is taking a delay with a FG attempt and punting?

Pretty sharp. They never intended to kick the FG there but were going on a hard count hoping for an offside to get them closer. They were happy to take the delay to give Wagner more room to pin them back --which he did. It was actually a well thought out plan--not a timing blunder.

Reaction Score
I'm sure that Arkeel will be nailed to the bench next year.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This reminds me of P not knowing how to take a knee to end a game.

We won, it didn't effect the outcome, but it was a strategic oversight that I just don't want to see in a head coach.

Reaction Score
Poor Whalerlawyer. We're blowing a team out and putting it in the air 90% of the time. I guess you can complete passes in December:)

I love this post. Oh man, you were on target more than Cochran was yesterday. Heck for some, it will be like finding out that Connecticut is no longer a Colony. Hard for some to give up bygone era's.

Reaction Score
You guys have to understand, Randy Edsall once said, you have to run the ball at the Rent, therefore that has to be where everything starts and ends as far as the UConn offense.

I'm just busting chops, but the ball can be thrown at the rent even under windy conditions. Casey set a school records for passing yards today. More balance would be better, but we should never digress to the Edsall offensive philosophy of 180 yds rushing and 110 yds passing as the norm. Not if you want to attract kids like Lamelle and Bradley, and even more talented wideouts as you go forward.

That's why there are no Randy statues outside of Rentschler. I'll take yesterday's offense over Randy's ground and pound anyway. It was risky to leave your seat yesterday, you might miss something exciting. Yesterday was fun.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I love this post. Oh man, you were on target more than Cochran was yesterday. Heck for some, it will be like finding out that Connecticut is no longer a Colony. Hard for some to give up bygone era's.
That stirred a recent memory.

Not long ago I was out for drinks with a couple of co-workers and one (who was born & raised in NY but was a UConn grad) commented on Hooker as a name for a brewery. I told him it was named after Thomas Hooker who for religious reasons broke off from Mass and started the colony of Connecticut. He then stated (as a question) 'Connecticut was a colony?'.

Reaction Score
That stirred a recent memory.

Not long ago I was out for drinks with a couple of co-workers and one (who was born & raised in NY but was a UConn grad) commented on Hooker as a name for a brewery. I told him it was named after Thomas Hooker who for religious reasons broke off from Mass and started the colony of Connecticut. He then stated (as a question) 'Connecticut was a colony?'.

LMAO. Mass and NY . . . could any state be neighbor to two more arrogant states. Kind of like when I ask if either one of these states have done anything in the last quarter century in D-1 football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom